*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1958434-Under-the-Water
Rated: E · Other · Writing · #1958434
Under the water, she no longer sleeps alone.
She lay motionless under the surface of the water. Moonlight shone down on the ripples, illuminating her dress. What an end to such a long life, suspended forever in the depths.

Kneeling at the edge, trying to get a better look, the ground crumbled beneath me. As earth and rock tumbled into the water, disturbing her slumber, she opened her eyes. Milky white, pupil-less, they captured and held my gaze, forcing me to hold my breath. My chest constricted, the lack of air sending frenzied messages to my brain, but still, I fell forward.

I could feel what she had gone through, how lonely she was, under the water. She longed for someone to sleep forever by her side. Man, woman, child. Made no matter to her. Just someone she could embrace to fend off the chill of death.

So now I lie there, next to her as the water covers us like a quilt. The slight motion of the waves moving our clothes as if waving a flag of surrender.

© Copyright 2013 Caledonia Lass (relanda at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1958434-Under-the-Water