*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1963546-Nowhere-is-safe
Rated: E · Short Story · Psychology · #1963546
Winner! Write a story that includes the line: "It's not safe in there"
"You may want to stay out of my head doc. It's not safe in there."

"And why do you say that Jeremy?" I rolled my eyes and eased more comfortably into the couch. With both arms draped over the back it was easy to lean my head back and stare at the stucco ceiling. Looked like this was to be another in a long line of arduous psyche analyses. A few minutes passed. Dr. Sander never said a word, but then by this time I didn't expect him to. By now the head guy knew he would catch more flies with silence than with his honey coated words.

"I don't feel safe in my head. There’s just too much going on up there.” Doc still doesn't speak. I open my eyes and seek him out. Hope he hasn't actually keeled over from apoplexy or something. I've heard of crazier things happening. Sander looks at me a moment longer, takes off his glasses, and leans in close. A little too close.
“I just don’t get it.” He said in a whisper. It didn't matter how low he talked, they could still hear him. “You know you’re innocent, I know you’re innocent, at least I think you are. Why won’t you stand up for yourself? Put the real killer behind bars, where he belongs?!”

I sigh wearily. It always came to this. Three doctors and five shrinks all said the same thing in the end. But he wasn't done.
“You could be free. I could help.” The pleading look that entered Doc Sanders’ eyes was almost too much. “You would be welcomed back into your home with open arms.” Ah, there was the rub. I scoff and settle back into my chair.

“Sorry Doc; but it’s not safe in there either.”


------------------------------
Edited from past to present tense thanks to Review of "Nowhere is safe."
-----
Word count: 298
---
Entry for "Winner for 11/18 and prompt for 11/19"  
Won! "Winner for 11/19 and prompt for 11/20"  
-----
Future uses: Addition to "The Cleaner if turn into a book/script.
Thought process: Man takes fall for a murder he did not commit because he is haunted by the fact that he wanted to/almost did/wonders how he would feel if he had done it. The 'they' are agents/police behind one-way mirror/glass.
© Copyright 2013 A*Monaing*Faith (afaith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1963546-Nowhere-is-safe