*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1964405-Lynn-Loves-Cam
Rated: E · Other · Death · #1964405
True Story
Lynn Loves Cam

Lynn and Cam had a relationship that was built on love but looked like hate. They fought like cats and dogs every single day for the two years they had lived together. Lynn was a regular girl. She believed in responsibility and discipline. Cam was a party animal and hadn't worked in nine months. Opposites do attract.

Lynn had recently divorced Jimmy, her husband of fifteen years. She decided she couldn't take another affair, so she loaded up her son and herself and went to her parents' house. Her friends begged her not to marry Jimmy in the first place. He was a philanderer from the minute they said 'I do.” Lynn thought for sure he was going to change his ways when they had their daughter two years later. But, it seemed not to affect him. All of her friends told her that he wouldn't change if she kept forgiving him. But, Lynn wouldn't listen. She loved him enough that she looked the other way, although she threatened to leave him every time it happened. Their daughter Crystal begged Lynn to leave him but, she wouldn't hear of it.

Seven years later they had a son, Baxter. Again, Lynn thought for sure that he would change when the baby came. Again, she was sorely mistaken. Before Baxter was born, Jimmy had a new woman in his life. At this stage of their marriage he no longer tried to hide it from her and in this case he used the pregnancy as an excuse telling her that being pregnant was the reason for this new lady. He had needs and she couldn't fulfill them as long as she was carrying the baby.

When she was eighteen, her family moved to another town three hours away. Her father, Dave and his twin brother Dan, opened a saw mill and employed many family members. They supplemented their income with lots of drugs. Dave was arrested when it was discovered he had hundreds of marijuana plants in his basement. Many wondered how they afforded their life style which was far different from the one they left.

Today, Lynn received a phone call from Ronnie Weeks the owner of the neighborhood bar, Piggies. Ronnie and Cam grew up on the same street and were friends all throughout school. Ronnie opened Piggie's when he was twenty-one. Cam frequented the bar at least four times a week and that was the one thing that Lynn hated about him. And, Ronnie couldn't bring himself to have Cam arrested knowing he had a record and would probably go to jail for a long time.

“Hello Lynn, this is Ronnie. Can you come pick up Cam? He's had too much to drink and is disturbing my customers.”

“Yeah, thank you for calling. I'll be there shortly.”

Lynn thought Cam was a good man at heart but he just couldn't seem to out run his demons. He had many arrests and short jail stays, mostly for drug related or alcohol related incidents. Tonight was one of those nights were he was bound to start a fight and end up in jail.
She remembered his promises from last time...”I swear baby, I'll get a job and I'll pay back every cent. Not from just this time but I'll pay you back for all you've ever done for me.” She only wished she could believe him but he was a liar of the worst sorts.

Last night Jimmy called Lynn and asked her to meet him for coffee. He wanted to talk about getting back together but she told Cam he wanted to talk about Baxter's failing grades in school.

“I’ve changed.” he began making his promises to her. They all sounded the same by now.

“You've told me that a thousand times Jimmy and I can't bring myself to believe you this time.” She said with great sadness in her voice. She was so tired of his lies. He's the only man she'd ever known and he hurt her so badly that she just knew she'd never trust again.

“It's true honey.” He took her hand across the table. She withdrew it while a single tear found its way down her cheek,

“I'm sorry.” Just about that time her text alert sounded. She took her phone out of her pocket and when she saw it was from Cam she silenced it and put it back in her pocket.

“Wonder who that could be?” Jimmy said sarcastically. He hated Cam. They hated each other.

“I love him Jimmy, and that's the way it is. You don't have to like him.”

Jimmy, Lynn, and Cam all worked at the saw mill at the same time. Lynn started dating Cam within a month of divorcing Jerry. The two men came to blows a few times over her.

Lynn woke up that Friday morning and Cam was already gone. She hoped it was because he was job hunting. He had been refused work since his last jail stint and she was tired of taking care of him when he wouldn't take care of himself. She called him several times on his cell but he wasn't picking up. Deep down she knew he wasn't looking for a job. He was out blowing her money on booze and she didn't doubt he was blowing some on women and drugs as well. She was getting fed up with him.

When Lynn arrived at Piggie's, he wasn't there.

“Where is he?” Her tone was both concerned and angry.

“I don't know. He heard me talking to you and he mumbled something and took off.

“Not driving I hope?” Now it was pure concern.

“No he's on foot this time.”

“Thanks Ronnie.”

“Not a problem. I just don't want to see him get in any more trouble.”

Lynn hopped in her car and drove along I93 looking for him. Finally after about ten minutes and nothing but trees and curves she saw him. She pulled her car up beside him.

“Cam, get in the car.”

“Lynn, I’m not going anywhere with you. If you cared about me you wouldn't have waited until now. You woulda come for me last night when I needed you. I don't need your sorry self now. Run back to Jimmy and be there for him.”

“Cam please don't do this. Please, just get in the car.”

Lynn continued to follow him along the road. He was angry at her because she ignored his texts the night before to come pick him up and take him to a party.

“GO AWAY!!” He shouted.

“I'm not going away. Please Cam I’m begging you. Get in the car.”

“And I'm telling you NO!” He shouted again.

She stopped beside the rode and got out. She stepped onto the roadway where he was standing.

“Cam, I love you not Jimmy. OK?”

“You need to shut up because I’m not listening to your lies anymore.” He slurred.

“OK, you win. We don't have to talk or say anything to each other. Just get in the car.”

The two of them were standing in the west bound lane of the very curvy road. Cam was busy yelling at stumbling around while Lynn tried to get him in the car so she could take him home.

“Stop it Lynn. I don't want you anymore. I'm not going to compete with Jimmy for the rest of my life.”

“You're not competing with him. I don't love him, I love you now please come get in the car.”

Lynn saw something moving out of the corner of her eye. When she turned she saw a truck heading right for them.

“CAM!” she screamed as she dove toward him. She was trying to push him to safety. But, it was too late. The truck struck Lynn and Cam and left them to die.

Lynne’s body was found behind her car and Cam was found lying in the ditch. She spent her last seconds alive trying to save the life of the man she loved.


R.I.P. Liz Thornsberry May 28, 1972 – November 2, 2013
© Copyright 2013 GroovyStella (groovystella at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1964405-Lynn-Loves-Cam