*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1966328-Little-Hawk---movie-script-sample
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Drama · #1966328
Orphaned by the Sand Creek Massacre Little hawk takes up arms
         

                   

21

         

EXT. DAY. SAND CREEK RIVER.

The sun glistens warmly on the disturbed waters of a slow moving river. SUBTITLES: Sand Creek. North Dakota 1864 A twelve year old CHILD laughs. We fly across the waters to the sound of the laugh. Here we see a Cheyenne mother scolding her son with a wry smile on her lips.

MOTHER

If your father saw you splashing me with water he would punish you.

The boy stops splashing her but carries on giggling. His mother lifts the blanket she was washing from the river and stretches it to hang on the bushes. Without warning a horse bursts through the bushes. The Mother's head is separated from her body by a cavalry sabre. Tight shot of the boy's startled face. The Horse barges the boy into the river and the rider takes a pot shot at him with his rapidly drawn pistol. Yet he misses the boy who floats down the river, stunned and unable to move. Blood drips from the sabre in his other hand.

CAVALRY MAN 1

God Dammit!

At the sound of the shot other woman at the river's edge scream and run away from their washing or water vessels. The Cavalry man swings in his saddle to shoot the nearest woman too him. ARIEL SHOT. Women and children are being pursued and cut down in the scrub that surrounds the river. Away in the distance is the sounds of a battle raging, small arms fire and field cannon.

CAVALRY MAN 2

Virgil lets get over to the camp sounds like the fun has started. The horses are goaded into a gallop.

EXT DAY. FURTHER. DOWN THE SAND CREEK RIVER

The sounds of battle are even fainter here, as the native boy is washed up on a sand bar. He is unconscious, and an angry bruise stands out on his head.

EXT. DAY BLACK KETTLE'S ENCAMPMENT.

Smoke fills the air from burning teepees. Cavalry riders flit past. One rider stops and a native warrior rushes at him with a tomahawk. The rider shoots the warrior twice and grins as the warrior crumples to the ground.

EXT DAY. FURTHER DOWN THE SAND CREEK RIVER.

The native boy is still unconscious. Closing on his face, the sounds of battle still rage in the distance.

INT. DAY TEEPEE.

A violent lust hangs in the air as a young woman tries to fend off two cavalry men with a knife. Darting round the fire that sits between them, one of the cavalry men is cut on the face by the knife. The other grabs the woman from behind.

INJURED CAVALRYMAN

Bitch!

He punches her in the face as the other cavalryman holds onto her. The knife drops and the injured cavalryman grabs her legs. The woman screams and tries to wriggle free.

EXT DAY. FURTHER DOWN THE SAND CREEK RIVER.

The native boy lays unconscious, though his fingers begin to twitch. The distant sounds of battle are more sporadic now. A hawk lets out a cry. Tilting skyward we see the hawk in flight, zooming in on its head the bird lets out another cry. The Hawk lands near the boy and studies him. Closing on the hawk's head and particularly its eye, it seems like for a fleeting moment there is the reflection of a native warriors face in the bird's pupil. Music: Native chants and drums.

FADE TO BLACK.

FADE UP:

EXT DAY. FURTHER DOWN THE SAND CREEK RIVER.

From the native boy's point of view his vision is blurred. As his fingers close on an object within his grasp. Drawing it up to his face and sees it is a hawk's flight feather. Studying by twirling it in groggy fingers. His field of focus switches from the feather to the hawk who is studying him from a perch on the rocks. Then it hits the boy. The reason he is in pain and there at all.

EXT DAY. THE SAND CREEK RIVER

The young native boy is running along the river bank, his breathing laboured. He comes across his mother's body, tears silently run down his face. The hawk lets out a cry The native boy looks up as the Hawk wheels in the sky and flies in the direction of the smouldering encampment. Taking his lead from the bird, he begins to run for home. The Hawk is flying The young boy runs through the thicket He comes across a native girl, as he stops and stares, the hawk cries out again more insistent. Leaving the corpse the boy runs on and out of shot. We regard the corpse a moment longer.

EXT DAY. BLACK KETTLE'S ENCAMPMENT

As the young native boy arrives, he finds the camp devastated and abandoned in a hurry. There are corpses of men and horses strewn everywhere. Most of the teepees are burnt out skeletons, though one or two remain intact. The young native boy walks through this field of corpses. All native as the bodies of any cavalry dead have been removed.

INT. DAY TEEPEE.

The young Native boy enters the teepee and sees the corpse of his sister...She has been raped and murdered. Kneeling by her he reaches out and tenderly strokes her upturned cheek.

NATIVE BOY/PRAIRIE DOG

Why us my sister?

Covering her body with a buffalo hide, he takes one last look and leaves.

EXT DAY. BLACK KETTLE'S ENCAMPMENT.

Standing in the entrance of the teepee, Prairie dog notices the body of a tribal chief near by.

PRAIRIE DOG

Grandfather!

Rushing over to the body he kneels by the corpse only to hear it groan.

PRAIRIE DOG (CONT'D)

Grandfather it's me Prairie Dog

The Grandfather opens his eyes weakly.

GRANDFATHER

Prairie Dog? Is this the spirit world? Strange I still feel pain!

PRAIRIE DOG

You are still in the world of the living grandfather, I'll find some help!

He makes as if to leave on his quest.

GRANDFATHER

There is no help. Black Kettle left with the survivors. I told him to leave me as I'd only slow them down.

PRAIRIE DOG

But you still live!

GRANDFATHER

Not for long I fear. Find yourself some weapons and food then leave the reservation. Travel to the Northern Cheyenne, you have an aunt there called Sleeping Deer you'll find her in Hunting Wolf's camp - do as I say and leave me to die in peace!

EXT. SUNSET. JUST OUTSIDE THE ENCAMPMENT

Prairie Dog is walking reluctantly away from the camp. He has a blanket, a US army water bottle, a satchel of food and an old musket. With the Sun settling behind him Prairie dog is merely a silhouette, there comes the cry of a hawk above.

EXT. SUNSET SKY.

The Hawk breaks its circling and path finds for the boy.

EXT. SUNSET. THE PRAIRIE

Prairie Dog can be seen walking across the top of a mound, as the ground undulates.

EXT. NIGHT. THE PRAIRIE

Prairie Dog has made camp and is curled up in the blanket, Musket near by. He is having a fitful sleep, as nightmares encroach his mind. Fretful noises come from his mouth. Zoom in on face and beyond into the world of dreams.

EXT DAY. THE WORLD OF DREAMS

Repeatedly, in rapid succession, he dreams of his mother's head being severed from her body.

EXT NIGHT. THE WORLD OF DREAMS

Next the light blackens to pitch, and he is running scared from a demonic horse soldier. Though the horse soldier is in full gallop, Prairie Dog carries on running ahead of him. The horse soldier is waving a bloodied sabre and laughing ghoulishly.

EXT NIGHT. THE PRAIRIE

Prairie Dog is restless in his sleep. Into shot walks the hawk, it regards the boy.

EXT NIGHT. THE WORLD OF DREAMS

The demonic horse soldier is attacked by a swooping hawk, which causes him to fall from the horse. As the horse runs from the scene, the Demonic horse man is attempting to slash the hawk from the air. The hawk makes several attacks, before flapping backwards and morphing its shape into a warrior chief. With a most splendid white and silver costume. With a "whoop" the warrior chief attacks the horse soldier with a tomahawk, killing the demon. Slowly the blackness turns to light and the warrior chief is once again the hawk.

EXT NIGHT. THE PRAIRIE

Prairie Dog is more restful in his sleep now. Satisfied the Hawk closes its eyes.

FADE TO BLACK.

FADE UP:

EXT DAY. THE PRAIRIE

Prairie Dog is once again on the move, above him in the sky is the shadowing hawk. Long shot. Prairie Dog is walking. Close up: Prairie Dog's face is set in grim determination, as he walks at a steady pace.

EXT DAY. THE PRAIRIE

Prairie Dog is sitting down eating cold Buffalo meat. The hawk is hunting a rabbit, swooping, the rabbit is brought to the ground. As the hawk tears raw meat from the kill, its head raises and looks into the distance. Zooming in on the sight that has caught its eye, we see a troop of US cavalry ranging the Prairie Prairie Dog is startled when the hawk, flying over head, lets out a cry of alarm. Looking up he sees the Hawk fly in the direction of the cavalry troop. Seeing the troop as a growing mass, Prairie Dog throws himself down in panic, cautiously he gathers his belongings together and crawls for the cover of some tall pampas grasses. Prairie Dog is staring through the grasses, a look of concern on his face. From Prairie Dog's P.O.V we see the cavalry troop pass close enough to hear them talking.

CAVALRY MAN 3

I'll be glad to get back to the fort, my piles are killing me..

Prairie Dog fastens his grip onto the musket, which he brings to bear. The odds are impossible and thankfully common sense prevails and he just lays ready to defend himself, should the troop discover him. The Troop pass his position from right to left of him. Once the last cavalryman has passed, Prairie Dog relaxes his tense stance in an exhaling of bated breath. Carefully the boy withdraws the musket from its ready position, pointing out from the Grasses.

EXT DAY. RIVER FORD AND WOODED AREA.

Prairie Dog happens upon a group of four warriors from the Cheyenne Dog Soldier society, who are watering their horses at the ford. Startled they draw their weapons, then realising its just a boy they relax.

DOG SOLDIER 1

Are you alone little brother?

PRAIRIE DOG

Yes, I have travelled far. I seek my Aunt, do you know of Hunting Wolf's camp?

DOG SOLDIER 1

Yes he is my sister's husband.

PRAIRIE DOG

Can you take me there?

Dog soldier 1 looks at his compatriots, who nod their agreement.

DOG SOLDIER 1

Come little one you can ride with me.

EXT DAY. HUNTING WOLF'S ENCAMPMENT

As the four dog soldiers and Prairie Dog ride into camp, they cause a stir. Sleeping Deer is tanning a buffalo hide, when she looks up and spots the four horses and warriors.

NATIVE GIRL 1

The long knives have attacked Black Kettle's camp. The boy Prairie dog survives.

SLEEPING DEER

Did you say Prairie Dog?

NATIVE GIRL 1

That's what they said his name is!

Sleeping Deer, is running after the Dog soldiers and calling out.

SLEEPING DEER

Stop Prairie Dog - stop! Dog Soldier 1 reins in his horse.

DOG SOLDIER 1

It is your aunt Sleeping Deer

She catches up with the stationary horse and lays her hand on the boy's leg.

SLEEPING DEER

Prairie Dog, I am your Aunt, where is my sister?

PRAIRIE DOG

She's dead - the whole family is dead!

Sleeping Deer lets out a guttural cry of dismay. Whilst Prairie Dog looks set to cry.

DOG SOLDIER 1

Be strong little one, Hunting Wolf and the council will want to hear from you on what has happened!

In the gathering crowd, looking on, is little Elk, an 11 year old native girl she watches Prairie Dog intensely.

INT. DAY TEEPEE IN HUNTING WOLF'S CAMP.

Prairie Dog is in front of a gathering of tribal elders and warrior chiefs. Sleeping Deer stands with him in the middle of the circle.

HUNTING WOLF

Speak Prairie dog - what have you seen?

Prairie Dog speaks and makes hand actions to illustrate the events he has seen. During his speech, he reaches into the satchel and produces the Hawk feather. He carries on talking. On the production of the feather, a medicine man by the name of Standing Bear, takes an even greater interest in the boy's story. He looks to the feather several times during the retelling of events.

HUNTING WOLF (CONT'D)

I propose a war party should be formed. We must have Vengeance! The attack on Black Kettle's camp is an attack on all Cheyenne!

BROKEN ARROW

I agree with Hunting Wolf, we must discuss how and where we strike.

STANDING BEAR

Sleeping deer, will you bring Prairie Dog to my lodge later. I wish to talk with him.

HUNTING WOLF

Yes you two can leave now, while the council decide what is to be done.

Sleeping Deer takes Prairie Dog by the hand and leads him from the teepee.

EXT DAY. HUNTING WOLF'S ENCAMPMENT.

They walk past a teepee being sown by a group of women. Prairie Dog involuntarily shivers and then yawns.

SLEEPING DEER

You are tired! Perhaps you are also hungry? Food then sleep!

PRAIRIE DOG

I feel strange, empty and without life!

SLEEPING DEER

You have been through a lot Prairie Dog, you need time to recover your spirit.

INT. DAY. FLYING EAGLE'S TEEPEE.

Prairie Dog is asleep under a naverjo blanket when Sleeping Deer approaches and shakes him. Prairie Dog awakes with a start.

SLEEPING DEER

It is okay, you are safe now!

Prairie Dog is disorientated, sluggish from incomplete sleep and confused. He crawls from the blanket, watched by Sleeping Deer and a man.

SLEEPING DEER (CONT'D)

Prairie Dog, this is my husband Flying Eagle.

FLYING EAGLE

You are welcome to stay in my Lodge, Prairie Dog. We are your family now.

PRAIRIE DOG

Thank you, Flying Eagle for your kindness and concern.

FLYING EAGLE

I will join the war party and seek to avenge the death of your family. Sleeping Deer has begged me to go.

PRAIRIE DOG

I wish to go as well!

FLYING EAGLE

Have you hunted buffalo?

PRAIRIE DOG

No!

FLYING EAGLE

As I thought you are too young for the war path. There is much you have to learn first.

Prairie Dog looks at Flying Eagle with smouldering anger, momentarily it looks like he will burst.

SLEEPING DEER

There will be a time when you can seek your own revenge, for now Standing Bear wants to speak with you.

Prairie Dog's rage subsides as he realizes its inappropriate to show his emotions.

EXT DAY. HUNTING WOLF'S ENCAMPMENT.

Both Sleeping Deer and Prairie Dog walk to the medicine lodge, owned By Standing Bear. They pass a group of young girls playing Camps with their model teepees and corn dolls. One of them is Little Elk and she watches Prairie Dog intensely. As he enters the Teepee with his Aunt.

INT. DAY. STANDING BEAR'S MEDICINE LODGE.

Standing Bear sits with the assistance of a crafted back rest.

SLEEPING DEER

I have bought Prairie Dog to see you, Standing Bear.

STANDING BEAR

Prairie Dog, sit at my left side.

As is the custom, Prairie Dog and Sleeping Deer pass behind Standing Bear to take up position on the left side. As Prairie Dog and Sleeping Deer sit, Standing Bear moves one of the stones that surrounds the fire pit, closer by means of a stick. From a pouch at his hip, he extracts a good pinch of sage and sprinkles it onto the hot stone. Softly he begins singing an incantation, as he guides the smoke towards himself. Closing his eyes, Standing Bear seeks guidance from the spirits for what he is about to say. Prairie Dog looks to the bundle of Medicine Arrows that hang from one of the lodge poles. Sleeping Deer softly answers his curiosity.

SLEEPING DEER

They are the medicine Arrows, warriors will make offerings to them before a buffalo hunt, or war party...they give power in battle.

Silently Standing Bear turns his palms skywards and opens his eyes.

STANDING BEAR

Prairie Dog, do you have the Hawk feather you spoke of to the council?

PRAIRIE DOG

Yes!

STANDING BEAR

May I see it?

Prairie dog turns to his satchel, and withdraws the Hawk Feather. Which he passes to Standing Bear. Standing Bear studies the feather, as the flames from the hearth flicker and  back light it.

STANDING BEAR (CONT'D)

Now tell me everything about the Hawk?

Prairie Dog enters an explanation of the events and the aid he recieved from the hawk.

PRAIRIE DOG

......Horse soldiers came and the Hawk warned me of their approach, so I hid in the Grass while they passed.......

SLEEPING DEER

Do you think he has an animal spirit as a guide?

STANDING BEAR

May be! Prairie Dog Think carefully did the Hawk appear anywhere else?

PRAIRIE DOG

No...errr, except in my dreams!

STANDING BEAR

Explain this dream?

PRAIRIE DOG

I saw my mother die many times, then the sky turned black, I was being chased by a horse soldier...but he wasn't a human being, he was a demon. I remember I was very frightened I ran and ran but the demon kept chasing me. Then the Hawk attacked the demon and knocked him from his horse. Though he tried to slay the Hawk, he couldn't then the Hawk became a warrior chief and slew the Demon with his tomahawk. The darkness became light and the warrior became the hawk again. Sleeping Deer was awe struck.

SLEEPING DEER

What does this mean?

STANDING BEAR

I think Prairie Dog has acquired the protection  of a hero. I sense there are great things in store for him.....The feather must be honoured, as must the Hawk, Sleeping Deer can you make a special medicine pouch for Prairie Dog, tie the feather to it. Prairie Dog ?

PRAIRIE DOG

Yes Standing Bear!

STANDING BEAR

I would suggest you seek a vision, see if anything more will be revealed to you. When the medicine pouch is complete I think we should change your name to Little Hawk which will honour your guardian spirit. I will perform a ceremony with you and your medicine pouch. I will also arrange for the News Speaker to announce it round the camp that you are to be known as little Hawk and also to advise the youths not to hunt for hawks anymore incase they kill your protector by mistake.

Standing Bear takes his pipe and fills the bowl with tobacco and buffalo dung scrapping as an igniter. He offers the pipe to the four cardinal points, then the Earth and the Sky. Then takes a taper and lights it from the fire. Using this he  transfers the light to his pipe.

STANDING BEAR (CONT'D)

I must smoke and contemplate how you will acquire your vision, leave me now and come back in four days for instruction.

Prairie Dog and Sleeping Deer stand and pass round the back of Standing Bear and walk to the exit.

EXT DAY. HUNTING WOLF'S ENCAMPMENT

SLEEPING DEER

Well Prairie Dog, this is a surprise the gods honour you.

PRAIRIE DOG

Is that why I lived while my family were killed - I would sacrifice this honour just to have them back.

SLEEPING DEER

Try not to be sad your life circle will have many good things as bad in it.

They both walk back to Flying Eagle's lodge.

EXT. SUNSET HUNTING WOLF'S ENCAMPMENT

Prairie Dog, stands wrapped in a blanket watching the sun go down. There is sadness in his eyes. From across the encampment comes the sounds of drums and wailing songs. The war party is getting itself ready to go on a raid in the morning. Turning to the teepee, Prairie Dog enters the lodge.

INT NIGHT. FLYING EAGLE'S LODGE

PRAIRIE DOG

Where is Flying eagle?

SLEEPING DEER

I believe he is in the medicine Lodge making his offerings to the arrows.

PRAIRIE DOG

I wish I was going with him!

SLEEPING DEER

You'll have your chance, I fear, the white man won't stop quarreling with the human beings. Later that evening

Flying Eagle returns, blood runs from cuts to both forearms.

PRAIRIE DOG

You are hurt?

FLYING EAGLE

Not at all, I have offered flesh to the medicine arrows, so that they will protect me during the raid tomorrow and I prayed for a good victory.

Later that night Prairie Dog stirs from his sleep, He looks over to the fire and sees Flying Eagle with a braid of sweet grass going through the purification process.

PRAIRIE DOG

Bring me a scalp tomorrow

FLYING EAGLE

You have my word, if the raid is successful.

EXT. DAWN HUNTING WOLF'S ENCAMPMENT

A troop of about thirty warriors are gathered and applying war paint to themselves and their horses. Each warrior has a change of horses. Prairie Dog exits Flying Eagle's lodge and stands watching the warrior band preparing. One warrior is wearing a chain mail shirt which was bought from Mexican traders. It is decorated in atypical native style. With a whoop, the raiding party rides from the camp. Prairie Dog follows their progress until he can no longer see them. Alone again he returns to the lodge.

EXT DAY. US ARMY OUTPOST.

A wagon train is camped in front of the Army fort. The raiding party are observing the travellers from the top of a mound. There are two warriors tending the horses in a dip below.

INT DAY US ARMY OUTPOST.

Lieutenant Franks is marching across the parade ground when he comes upon Sergeant Miller.

LIEUTENANT FRANKS

Sergeant Miller, take ten men and fill the empty water barrels, our guests are using up water at a phenomenal rate.

Sergeant Miller salutes

SERGEANT MILLER

Yes sir!

EXT DAY. US ARMY OUTPOST.

The water collection party, leave the fort with three open backed wagons full of barrels. There are two man on each wagon and four on horse back. They head through the encampment of travellers and continue on down the trail to where the river is, in a wooded vale.

EXT DAY. RIVER NEAR ARMY OUTPOST.

The barrels are being filled with the use of a hand operated pump. Full ones are rolled back to the wagons. Where three men lift them back on with the aid of a block and tackle suspended on a pyramid frame.

EXT DAY. HUNTING WOLF'S ENCAMPMENT

The children are playing at war. Watched by little Hawk. The boys have sticks for horses. While the girls have small teepeees to represent the village the boys are defending. About six boys clash, counting coup and firing make believe guns. One of the defending boys pretends to be hit.

EXT DAY. RIVER NEAR ARMY OUTPOST.

The solitary guard in the watering party, is dealt with first by Hunting Wolf's men. Before he has time to cry out a warning, a hand is clamped over his mouth and a knife is thrust into his back about three times.

EXT DAY. HUNTING WOLF'S ENCAMPMENT

The war between the competing children is intensifying. Girls drag back injured defenders to their camp. Pretending to tend to their wounds.

EXT DAY. RIVER NEAR ARMY OUTPOST.

Arrows strike the soldier who is operating the block and tackle, another barely misses the man guiding the barrel onto the back of the wagon. It embeds itself in the barrel, which falls as the other soldier lets go of the rope. The unscathed soldier is bowled over by the runaway barrel. Gunshots ring out and three men in the river are shot down.

EXT DAY. HUNTING WOLF'S ENCAMPMENT

The children's village, is being struck, as the girls and the wounded prepare to flee the battle.

EXT DAY. RIVER NEAR ARMY OUTPOST.

Four soldiers run for the horses. One is shot down before he can get to the mounts. The soldier bowled over by the barrel, has a broken leg, he is struggling to take his pistol from the holster, but Hunting wolf attacks with a tomahawk and kills the man, then takes his scalp. Three soldiers reach the horses, A warrior on horseback, spears one of them with his lance, before being shot from his horse. By the remaining two. The two soldiers mount their horses and gallop off, with bullets whining around them. Letting them go the war party loot their victims and take scalps and horses.

EXT DAY. HUNTING WOLF'S ENCAMPMENT

Little Elk walks up to Prairie Dog.

LITTLE ELK

Why don't you join in with the game?

Another boy by the name of Two Bears hears little Elk's words and calls out:

TWO BEARS

He's afraid!

PRAIRIE DOG

No I'm not!

TWO BEARS

My father says that the Gods were angered by the treaty Black Kettle signed. That's why they allowed the soldiers to attack your camp.

LITTLE ELK

Didn't you hear the news speaker this morning. Prairie Dog was saved by a spirit. Surely he was sent by the Gods?

TWO BEARS

My father says they were Traitors and cowards.

Prairie Dog angrily steps up to Two Bears.

PRAIRIE DOG

My tribe fought the soldiers, many warriors died. How dare you question their bravery!

TWO BEARS

I suppose you ran like a woman.

Prairie Dog pushes two Bears, who pushes him back. Prairie Dog grabs at Two Bears and they begin wrestling. Two Bears has the upper hand, prompting Little Elk to call out.

LITTLE ELK

Leave him alone two Bears.

TWO BEARS

See Prairie Dog women have to protect you.

Two Bears releases his forearm strangle hold on Prairie Dog. And walks towards Little Elk.

TWO BEARS (CONT'D)

Don't forget your brother has promised you to me.

Little Elk looks to Prairie Dog who is shivering with rage. The rest of the children turn from the spectacle. As does Little Elk finally. Angered Prairie Dog storms off.

EXT DAY. ROCKY OUTCROP.

Prairie Dog, sits solemnly on a rock, away from the camp. He is in great misery. He is remembering the events that befell his home and family. Cue music: Native American music & Song The hawk that had lead him to this place, lands near by. Prairie Dog sees the bird.

PRAIRIE DOG

What do you want of me? The bird regards him.

Angrily Prairie Dog throws a stone at the Hawk. The Hawk reacts and the stone misses.

PRAIRIE DOG (CONT'D)

It would have been better if I died as well!

He hangs his head.

EXT NIGHT. HUNTING WOLF'S ENCAMPMENT

The war party has returned to the camp and dances have begun. There Is also some mourning for women effected by loss. Prairie Dog returns to the camp. Spotted by Little Elk, she walks towards him.

LITTLE ELK

Where have you been, Flying Eagle has presents for you!

PRAIRIE DOG

I've been nowhere, I needed to be alone.

LITTLE ELK

Come lets find my husband.

Together they go in search of Flying Eagle. Whom they find participating in one of the dances of victory. When the dance is finished Flying Eagle spots his wife and adopted son and moves towards them.

FLYING EAGLE

Prairie Dog, this is for you. He holds out a scalp.

Without word, Prairie Dog accepts the trophy. Both little Elk and Flying Eagle look to Prairie Dog to react. When he doesn't after a pause Flying Eagle speaks again.

FLYING EAGLE (CONT'D)

Come to the lodge I have other presents for you.

INT. NIGHT FLYING EAGLE'S LODGE.

FLYING EAGLE

These belonged to Lame Deer, we agreed they are yours now!

He holds out a lance, a Bow and a quiver of arrows.

PRAIRIE DOG

What happened to Lame Deer?

FLYING EAGLE

The soldiers killed him, it was a glorious death one worthy of a warrior, you should be proud to have his weapons.

Prairie Dog accepts the weapons.

PRAIRIE DOG

I pray these will avenge my family, one day.

FLYING EAGLE

Practise with the bow and lance for I'll take you on a buffalo hunt, when the season is right.

For the first time Prairie dog smiles, yet it is a short lived involuntary reaction. Flying Eagle and Sleeping Deer look to each other. Both think it is an encouraging sign.

FLYING EAGLE (CONT'D)

You can use one of my ponies, we'll pick one for you tomorrow.

PRAIRIE DOG

Thank you both for your kindness. Later that night

Prairie Dog is asleep and being watched by Sleeping Deer and Flying Eagle who lie together on the bedding at the back of the lodge.

SLEEPING DEER

Do you think he'll recover?

FLYING EAGLE

Only time will tell!

EXT DAY. AWAY FROM HUNTING WOLF'S CAMP.

Prairie Dog is practicing with the bow and arrows. His target is a small mound and his shooting is all over the place. Little by little his aim improves Until he manages a tight grouping of three arrows. Satisfied he collects the arrows and wanders back to the camp.

EXT DAY. HUNTING WOLF'S ENCAMPMENT

Two bears sees him coming and scowls. As Prairie Dog heads for Flying Eagle's lodge. Two Bears calls after him.

TWO BEARS

Prairie Dog would you like to swop your bow and arrows for my little sisters corn doll, I think it'll suit you better.

Prairie Dog ignores him and carries on walking to the lodge.

LITTLE ELK

Why do you dishonour Prairie Dog?

TWO BEARS

I don't like Southerners, they are traitors.

Little Elk watches Prairie Dog enter Flying Eagle's lodge.

INT DAY. FLYING EAGLE'S LODGE.

Prairie Dog hangs the bow and quiver on one of the lodge pole's. Then sits near his aunt who is working on a pair of moccasins for Flying Eagle.

SLEEPING DEER

Why don't you go and play with the other children.

Prairie Dog watches the bead work Sleeping Deer is doing.

PRAIRIE DOG

Because I don't feel like playing, my heart is still heavy.

SLEEPING DEER

You need to find your life spirit again, its important to be whole.

PRAIRIE DOG

I hear what you say but it is hard to find, perhaps like my family it is lost.

SLEEPING DEER

We'll ask Standing Bear what to do about that when you see him about your vision Quest.

INT DAY. STANDING BEAR'S MEDICINE LODGE

Standing Bear is chanting and striking a drum in time to his song. Prairie Dog and Sleeping Deer sit cross legged on the other side of the fire pit. When he is finished Standing bear stops drumming and sits in a trance.

STANDING BEAR

You must go into the wilderness with a bed of sage. Stay there for four days without food or water. If you have been granted a vision in that time, all well and good, if not then you must go to

the sweat lodge and continue to

seek your vision.

© Copyright 2013 Steve Goodman (stevegrogger at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1966328-Little-Hawk---movie-script-sample