*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1966803-Day-12-Toy-Drummer
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1966803
Story of a lonely toy drummer for 12 Days Of Writing.
Timmy, the toy drummer stayed in a box from Christmas to Christmas every year. He never aged but the family dog Belguim had chewed on one of his drum sticks. Belguim had even carried him off one year but at least Belguim hadn't used him for a chew toy except for the tip of the drumstick that was missing. Timmy got to sit on the hearth. He would look at the Christmas tree, stockings and watched Belguim sleep. The dog was older now and had no desire to carry him off. What Timmy really wanted to do was play his drum. As usual, he sat on the hearth. Christmas was here again. He had never even seen Santa Claus. He fell asleep when Santa had shown up.

Mandy was coming for Christmas. She was the six year old granddaughter of the Bennett family who owned the house where Timmy lived. Mandy was in awe of the decorations at her grandparents' home. She noticed Timmy right away. She picked him up.

"Mandy, we have had Timmy a long time. Don't break him."

"I won't, Grandma. I want to play with him."

"He is a decoration not a toy, Dear."

"He is going to play the drum for "The Nutcracker. Let me get Barbie and my Nutcracker CD."

Mandy ran off to get Barbie and her Nutcracker record. She held Barbie and had her dance{pretend to dance} and put Timmy next to the CD player and make shift "Nutcracker" stage. Timmy played the drum and Mandy squealed.

"Look, Grandma. He is playing the drum even though his drum stick is broke."

"Her imagination is working over time." said Grandma to Grandpa.

Grandpa just read his paper. He never had much to say.

Timmy loved playing his drum. Next Many got the Nativity scene down and she played "The Little Drummer Boy" CD. Timmy played the drum and he smiled. He felt Jesus' love. This is what Christmas was all about. Timmy's heart was all aglow..

Grandma was shocked. "Grandpa, look! The toy drummer is playing the drum and smiling." Grandma beamed.

"That is nice, Martha. I am not in the obituaries so I will go read the sports page." Grandpa wouldn't even look at Timmy. Mandy and Grandpa had seen what Timmy could do.

On Christmas Eve, Timmy was back on the hearth. Santa came down the chimney and he stopped to look at Timmy. "My boy, you did a special job of playing your drum today. Here, I bought you a new drum and drumsticks and a new suit that is red and white. I am sorry I have never noticed you before. Merry Christmas, Timmy."

"Thank you, Santa." Timmy was so happy.

Timmy became part of the Nativity scene every year. Martha and Mandy noticed his new drum and outfit and knew they were a gift from Santa. Grandpa didn't notice. He was too busy reading, eating and watching sports when he wasn't farming. Timmy was the happiest toy around.
500 Words
** Image ID #1733115 Unavailable **
** Image ID #1626254 Unavailable **
© Copyright 2013 Princess Megan Rose GOT Fox (tigger at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1966803-Day-12-Toy-Drummer