*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1966843-Tommy-the-Drummer
by OOT™
Rated: E · Short Story · Holiday · #1966843
A day in the hectic life of a toy drummer in December.
Tommy was a drummer. But not just any old drummer. No, Tommy was a special drummer. As a matter of fact, Tommy was a toy drummer. But with that special title came a host of responsibilities. He worked so hard the month of December; Santa entrusted him with so many tasks that he barely had time to sleep. What, you didn't know that toy drummers sleep? Well, they do. Just not very much in December.

Anyway, Tommy had so much work to do at the North Pole. He had to beat on his drums the entire time the elves were making the toys. Santa said it helped the elves to stay in rhythm and get the job done faster. Then, just when he thought his arms would surely fall off, Santa would pull him away to help Mrs. Claus with the baked goods. Have you ever tried to beat cookie dough into shape with a plastic drumstick? Tommy will tell you it's not an easy task.

You'd think after all that, Tommy would be done for the day. Well, if you did, you'd be wrong. After the work is done for the day, Santa is quite the partier. I know, who would have guessed it?! Can you imagine Santa with a roomful of elves eating Christmas cookies and playing karaoke? And who do you think provides the musical accompaniment for the karaoke? It isn't eleven pipers piping! No, it's poor Tommy, banging those drums well into the night.

After all of that, he's surely done for the day, right? Wrong! Then, it's time to practice. You didn't think everything came naturally to him, did you? No, he has to practice every single night of December. What's worse, he has to practice in Santa's workshop all by himself. It's the only place around that's soundproof. He practices until he can't keep his eyes open.

So, why work so hard for such little recognition? I mean, do you even hear of a toy drummer in any month than December? Exactly. And that's my point. Who wouldn't mind working hard one month for an eleven month vacation? I think ol' Tommy has a good thing going.
© Copyright 2013 OOT™ (outoftouch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1966843-Tommy-the-Drummer