*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1967741-Christmas-with-Aunt-Poppy
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Children's · #1967741
Jane and James have the best christmas of their lives with their aunt Poppy
A sequence of chimes sounding of jingle bells sounded as the doorbell rang. Poppy bound down the stairs to answer the door singing along to her coveted Christmas doorbell. “Jingle Bell, Jingle Bells, Jingle all the way”.

She opened the door with mirth showing on her face to the cold gloomy faces of her niece and Nephew. Susan her sister walked them inside in a rush helping them take off their coats.

“Poppy dear thanks again for taking the kids this weekend. I know it was such short notice but when Charles won these tickets to the ski lodge for this week we just couldn’t pass it up.

"The children looked sullen as they hung up their coats and turned to say goodbye to their mother. “Why can’t we I go with you mother” said Jane with watery eyes.

“We already talked about this Janie. Now I have to go or we will miss our flight.” Her mother said. She kissed her children and rushed out the door.

“Come my dears I will show you your room. I fixed it up special for Christmas, and don’t worry your parents will be back before Christmas Eve and we will all celebrate together.” said Poppy. They walked up the stairs with their hands tracing the railing covered with garland, past the walls covered with wreaths and ribbons and down the hall to the last room that they knew as her mother and aunts old nursery when they were young. Aunt Poppy lived in the family’s home since she had never married and had lived there all her life. The two double doors had a huge wreath apiece with a red ribbon hanging down the middle of each and sprigs of holly all through it.

“Get the Door for me will you Janie?” aunt Poopy said while juggling with the luggage.

Jane opened the two doors and stepped inside just out of the way. Then she did a double take as she looked back at the room. It had had a complete makeover since the last time they stayed here. Of course it had been a few year but this was amazing. The huge fireplace that was once boarded up for the children’s safety was open and had a roaring fire in the hearth creating a wave of warmth that melted their cold arms. The mantle was painted white and two amazing stocking one in blue and silver and the other purple and silver hung from it, one with Jane’s name and one with James’s. There was a big furry white rug in the middle of the room with two chairs sitting around it facing the fire. Their beds were on opposite ends of the room and had the largest feather pillows and comforters laying on them. James ran and jumped on one exclaiming “This one’s mine!” his body sank into the covers “It feels like sleeping on cotton fluff, ahhhh.” Jane walked the rest of the way in and she noticed a huge Christmas tree in the corner completely decked out with ribbons and ornaments under the tree was a heard of presents all wrapped to perfection and a little train with a Santa clause riding on it as it weaved in and out of the presents and around the tree. Jane sat down as she realized she had wandered over to the other bed and stared in awe at the most splendid room she had ever been in.

“I hope you like it” said aunt Poppy. “I started to redecorate it last year hoping that you would all come to stay for Christmas this year. Your parents don’t know I have done this yet either. I wanted it to be a bit of a surprise. What do you think?”

“It’s totally awesome” a muffled voice sounded from James bed.

“It is amazing” Jane said, crossing over to her aunt who was beside the double dressers putting away their clothes. She gave her a huge hug and felt her aunt’s warm plump arms surround her.

Well you too get all settled in her and then come down to dinner.

They could smell turkey and stuffing wafting through the house and so rushed to change out of their travel clothes. When they entered the dining room they could see a fancy fun dinner set around the table with turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberries, pumpkin pie and cake. They rushed towards their seats. What followed was the best dinner they had had in a long time. Their parents were vegetarians and so they were only allowed meat on Holidays with their aunts and when out with friends as their parents were allowing them to make their own choices in this.

When done they sat on the puffy white rug in front of the fire while their aunt read a Christmas Carol before bed.

This was the standard routine with Christmas crafts, board games and more.
Christmas eve came and their parents arrived expecting homesick kids rushing to them. Poppy answered the door when they rang the bell and wondered where the kids were. They found them in the amazingly decorated room playing games and laughing together as Christmas carols played on the radio.

“Did you miss us at all!” their mother exclaimed with a smile.

“Mom, Dad!” they yelled as they jumped up and rushed to their arms. “Can we stay here every Christmas they both said in unison while hugging them.
We will see as she kissed them and went to talk to Poppy.

Wow this is magnificent; I can’t believe how you transformed that old room. I think the kids want to start a tradition of spending Christmas here and I have to say I think that would be brilliant if you agree” said Susan.

“I think that would be wonderful.” Said Poppy her smile growing even bigger than before.”

980 words
© Copyright 2013 Sunshine Storm (sunny1849 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1967741-Christmas-with-Aunt-Poppy