*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1970659-Heartbeat
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Other · Friendship · #1970659
Angels don't usually sleep, so how are they supposed to learn?

Imagine an angel coming to earth and becoming human to pass the trials it has been ordered to complete. The angel has trouble sleeping now that he is human. The concept of it was easier than actually doing it, obviously, but no matter how many times he closed his eyes, "counted sheep" as he had come to learn, or just waited until the sun went down, he wasn't tired enough to sleep. Before he met up with other humans after he had become human he had merely waited until he passed out from tiredness in order to sleep. After he had met up with some travelers, they had yelled at him for not sleeping more often. When the angels points out that they only slept four hours a night the travelers only huff and shift about uneasily before telling him that "sleeping every three days is way more unhealthy than sleeping four hours a night" which the angel could agree with.

After all of the things that the travelers had tried to do to help, he still couldn't manage to sleep regularly. Sometimes he would drift off during the day while they stayed at different hotels. He would curl up outside on the roof in the summer with a good book and just doze off. Those were the times when he couldn't understand how he fell asleep, but somehow managed to do it every time.

That night was the same as every other. It was probably two in the morning and they were all curled up on the beds, the couch, and the floor.

The angel turned over onto his side and looked over at Gabriel, one of the travelers he had come to know, who was sleeping on the bed across from him. Should he wake him? Maybe he could help the angel get some sleep. But he looked really tired when he got to the hotel.

Through better judgment the angel threw the covers off of himself and crawled off of his bed. He crawled into Gabriel's bed, looking at his sleeping face for a second before leaning a bit closer and whispering that he can't sleep. When Gabriel doesn't answer he tries again.

Gabriel flinches and the angel thinks he might be awake, but Gabriel's too drowsy to think straight after the long ride across the state of Alabama to wake as easily as the angel found that he usually did. Gabriel just pulled the angel close to him, pushing the angels' head to his chest, while mumbling non-sense about being quiet and how much gas they had left in the car.

The angel stiffened at the sudden proximity of Gabriel's' body, knowing how wrong that the human race thought that two men being together was now that he was human. After looking around to make sure no one was awake to see them he looked up at Gabriel's' still sleeping face. Confused, the angel awkwardly shifted in the embrace.

"Gabriel?" He whispered again, but the only response he gets is a tighter squeeze.

"Michael," Dean mumbles in his sleep.

The angel, Michael, isn't sure if this is the most comfortable position he's slept in, but with a shift of his arm and a leg he's curled up on Gabriel's chest with his ear pressed to Gabriel's heart. This is probably the most comfortable he's been since he became human. Before he settled down even more he realized the feeling is surprisingly the same as when he sleeps on the roof. The warmth and feeling of closeness he gets from both of these things makes him sleepy. With a final yawn the angel fell asleep to Gabriel's' steady heartbeat.

© Copyright 2014 SarahJuniperBerry (mitsukimo0on at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1970659-Heartbeat