*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1971444-Fantasy-novel-chapter-4
by kat
Rated: E · Other · Fantasy · #1971444
The meeting of the Lords ~ continuing the adventures of Bayleen and Audreena.
Chapter 4



Audreena looked back at Julibia holding Billeep with Rachaella and Juliana standing at her side and she was filled with trepidation.  He mother’s instructions were clear.  She was here to listen, she had no voice.  If explanations were needed she and Bayleen were along to assist her parents.  But at least she would know, she wouldn’t be left behind to fret.  She still couldn’t believe that her mother had convinced Bayleen’s mother to come and help at the Abby while they were away or that Bayleen was going with us.  But the sight of the ones she cared for the most being left behind tugged at her heart.

The carriage was crowed and Bayleen sat too close to her.  Their new found feelings were hard to hide.  Audreena feared she would lose control of her new abilities with him so near but the trip went well.  They arrived at the inn and were showed to their rooms.  Bayleen had never stayed at an inn and was surprised when the escorts carried their belongings to the rooms.  When he tried to help he was dismissed and called master.  This shocked him but he held his tongue.  It was assumed he was part of the Lordship since he traveled with her parents just as she knew they would.

They all were exhausted and retired to their chambers for sleep immediately.  Tomorrow would come soon.

Grecia and Gnobb arranged for a conference room and everyone was busy preparing for the meeting.  Audreena and Bayleen were given a space in the corner of the room.  The servants would not be allowed in the room during the meeting; Bayleen and Audreena would relay the Lords needs if they had any.  The servants would wait in the room next door until they were needed.  Grecia thought it was a good way to explain having a couple of children in the room.

“Remember, you have no voice in this.  Use your ears; but, no matter bad you want to inject your opinions, keep your mouth quiet,” Grecia said tenderly.

“Yes, ma’am,” Audreena said obediently.

“Those are the only words that you should utter in here.” Audreena knew that.  The Lords would be put off by a child who did not know her place.  They retired to their chambers to rest once the hall was prepared.

As people arrived, the servants helped the staff at the Inn to serve food and drink to the arriving Lords who waited patiently in the hall.  Bayleen, Audreena, and her parents joined the awaiting Lords for the noon meal which was served quickly.

“If you have a question or something important to add, write it down.”  Audreena’s mother said as she handed her a notepad and a quill and ink.  Her mother knew her well; and was giving Audreena an alternative to being inappropriate during this gathering, which they both feared.

As the hall filled and the doors closed Grecia stood.  Gnobb rose beside the tall elegant woman and both waited for the room to quiet.  When a hush came over the room Gnobb began to speak.

“We have called this meeting of the Lords.  So we can present a more unified front while presenting our case to the council.”  He paused, all eyes were on him.  Hi presence was commanding and silence echoed through the room.  “I am not one to interfere with the council and their decisions, however, this decree they are about to pass seems so unjust that even I cannot keep quiet.”

“Let them burn the bastards!”  Kelus, a man from the sage flats, interrupted.

“I know some of you have had trouble lately with ablemen misusing their abilities,” Gnobb continued.  “But, there are many who are respectful with them, avoiding the use of them at all cost.  These people deserve our protection as Lords.  They have no voice with the council, we must be their voice.”

“I agree with Gnobb,” Tinin, a young man from the Greshton Residence joined in the conversation. “I was traveling a few months back and I happened across a chap.  We were both alone so we traveled together for many days.  He seemed a nice polite normal young man.  We were attacked by marauders and he saved both our lives with his abilities, then he apologized for using them.  He could have used them against me, taken everything I had; I was a stranger to him, but he did not.  He used them to save me and everything I had with me.  Never did I suspect this young man of being an able man and he did not use them again.”

“Well said,” Gnobb went on, “Then there is this to consider.  A few in this room may have an ancestor with abilities.  Some may know of one, some may have had a hidden one that no one had knowledge of.  This is not common as Lords.”  He paused. “I knew a Lord when I was a child who could move things with telepathy.  He was a close friend of my father and only those closest to him knew; my father and I found out by accident.  His children never gained abilities and they are my age now.  His grandchildren are just reaching the age where abilities will be discovered if they are present.  They are at risk and so are their children after them.  Imagine if it was your child who was afflicted; your beautiful daughter or capable son.  These laws make no exceptions for those who have done no wrong; who are respectful with their abilities.  Those who try to lead productive normal lives should not be punished because they were born with abilities.”

“But many use their abilities to rob, and assault people,” Kelus interjected angrily.

“How many of you in this room have had trouble with ablemen?”  Gnobb asked pointedly, addressing the room with his stare as he looked at each of them.  Only a few raised their hands, but they did so with vigor and gusto.

“You see there are few of us who have experienced your anguish,” Gnobb looked at Kelus, then at the rest who had raised their hands. “We feel for you and we want the problems resolved; but we don’t want innocent people to suffer for it.  They should not be punished for what a few have done.  We need a united plan; agreed upon by all, to present to the council.”

“Gnobb is wise.  We should try, at least, to agree upon this before we go to argue against the council.”  It was Gandala, Philleep’s and Giselle’s father, who spoke.  There was no hesitation in his voice as he continued.  “We need to punish Lordships who support the outlaws.  If the consequences are harsh enough the renegades may be able to be stopped.”

“We need a regimen of policing volunteers,” a wispy man put in.  Audreena did not know him so she assumed he must be from far away.  “Someone the Lordships can turn to that would enforce the decrees passed by the council.”

As the wispy man spoke, Bayleen snatched the pen from Audreena and scribbled a note that said, “A school for those with abilities.”  Audreena smiled because she knew he was right.  Without him she would have been lost.

They passed ideas around; the angry men became less angry and seemed filled with hope as the new plan evolved.  Occasionally a woman would speak but mostly the men bounced ideas back and forth across the room.  The idea of the policing force was brought up over and over with different twists.  It became evident that everyone thought a policing force should be part of the new plan.  Someone pointed out that even if the able men were all locked away the Lords who supported them would find another way to support crime.

“This policing force would have to have the authority, given by the council, to arrest the offending individuals or it would be for naught,” Gredor put in. 

“Then we will have to suggest that in our proposal.” Gnobb said with a nod.

By the time the meeting was dismissed for a short break, to prepare for the midday meal, Audreena and Bayleen had a list to give to Gnobb for consideration.  He liked the ideas of education for all, especially those with abilities.  With the proper teacher, children could be taught to prepare for their developing abilities so they could use them correctly.  The thought of mandatory education for all on abilities would mean that no one would be unprepared if it happened to them.  But if children had the known potential to get them, it would miss people like Audreena who needed the education more than the common child.

When all returned to the room a smorgasbord board of meats, cheese and breads had been laid out by the servants.  There was fresh fruit and vegetables, a luxury this time of year.  The Lords dined on simple foods as the meeting continued.

“So we all agree that the current decree is unjust and must be reconsidered by the council if it is to be followed by all.  Next we all agree that a policing force must be established with the authority granted by the counsel to maintain order in all residences.  It has come to my attention that education may help.  If we educate our children, all children, we could teach acceptable practices for those with abilities.  Also to teach those who have abilities, while they are young, would assist in assuring less misuse of them.”

A discussion ensued in which some agreed and some did not.  In the end it was agreed that some form of education should be included in the plan that was presented.

“There are some things that are not agreed upon.  I suggest that if we are to be successful we present those points that we do agree on, and then the different versions of the parts that we don’t agree on.  Ultimately it is the council’s decision how to alter the proposed decree, if at all.  If we present all ideas that have been discussed today it will give the council more options to dismiss the current plan.  Is there any opposed to proceeding this way?”  Gnobb asked.  Silence filled the room and Gnobb continued, “Since all agree that will be the plan.”

“Who will speak to the council?  We should have a designated speaker to present this plan,” Risurrin, a man from the other side of bluefish canyon, said.  Philadru stood in the back of the room.  All eyes turned towards him, his shoulders were above the heads of most men.

“Gnobb should speak for us,” Philadru said in his deep booming voice.  Audreena thought he would make a great caller, his voice carried without effort.  “He has led this meeting well, we have accomplished much.”

“Perhaps it should be you who speaks; there would be no missing what you said.”  Gandala said.  “Your voice carries like no other.”

“That may be true,” Philadru said as he looked around the room, “But Gnobb has the right words.  He is more persuasive than most.  If the council is to hear us we must have someone who can speak to them with elegance and grace; Gnobb has a gift at addressing others.”

“Philadru is right,” Shirika stood beside her husband, “Gandala and I both can see the power Gnobb has when he speaks.  Is there anyone who can disagree?”  When no one spoke Gnobb wisely jumped in.

“I would not be opposed to speaking.  However if there is any who think they can do a better job at it please speak up now.”  There was a pause, people shifted in their seats, but no one spoke.  “Since no one is opposed I will speak to the council.  We must prepare for the journey.”

Gnobb nodded to Audreena and Bayleen as he got up taking his wife by the hand and headed for the door.  Instinctively Audreena and Bayleen got up and followed her parents.  It was soon time to depart for the council meeting.  Audreena looked at her stuff stowed neatly in her trunk and wished there was time for a nap.  It would be a long time before they returned to the inn.

© Copyright 2014 kat (katsbooks72 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1971444-Fantasy-novel-chapter-4