*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1973975-Fantasy-Novel---chapter-6
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by kat
Rated: E · Other · Fantasy · #1973975
Audreena becomes powerful.
Chapter 6



Audreena was riding Zelen her trusted pony in the meadow.  It was a warm day and the sun penetrated her hair warming her scalp.  The pony was trotting and then began to gallop through the tall grass, the grass parted and the pony lept into the air.  All of the sudden beneath her in place of the pony was a Pegasus with wings that beat the air.  They flew up into the clouds; the barn became part of the landscape beneath her.  The terrain changed and she saw herself looking at down at vast arrays of trees then they soared over the vast blue mountains.  Deep in the heart of the mountain range the Pegasus dipped down through the crags of the rocky mountain peaks and lit in a large meadow hidden from the ragged peaks by large evergreen trees that created a shield from the barren peaks that surrounded them.  The Pegasus spoke to her in a clouded voice heard only in her mind. 

“This is the Lair of Avanlon the keeper of the secrets of the mystic.  You are safe here away from the other world where danger awaits the special souls like you.  We wish to protect you from the Synod, we will help you if you call to us in need.  You will be the savior of the mystic, the soul to repair the rift that the synod has created. Go child and prepare for the sphinx is looking for you”

Audreena sat up wide awake; Zeppa sat next to her and was startled by the movement.  Audreena looked around to find she was in her chamber the daylight came in through the window.  It was warm and she suddenly felt comforted that her dreams weren’t real.  Julibia’s words from the day before came to her then and she gasped.

“What is it child,” Zeppa asked coming to her side, “What did you see?”

“My pony was running and then it flew into the air it was a beautiful Pegasus that shimmered in the moonlight.  It took me to a secluded meadow in the vast Blue Mountains and told me I would be safe there from the synod.  This being told me that Avanlon the keeper of the mystic lived there and that they wished to protect me.  She said I should prepare because the sphinx is looking for me.  She was beautiful Zeppa and her wings were powerful.”

“Write it down Audreena.  It is better if it is in your own words.” Zeppa said as she handed Audreena a notepad and a quill.  Audreena watched as Zeppa wrote what she had heard.  “Two viewpoints are sometimes better than one but yours are more important; now write before you are too tired.”

Audreena began to write.  She recorded all she had seen and heard while her soul had traveled in her dreams.  She struggled to find words for every detail from the color of the sky to the way it felt to soar in the air above the world on the back of a flying horse.  It seemed so far from believing.  The Pegasus had called this the other world; it seemed that the world she was learning about should be called the other world.  It was almost too much to believe.

Audreena got out of bed and relieved herself.  Zeppa had sent the maid for breakfast as soon as Audreena awoke and Julibia came in with a dish Audreena had never seen before.  Merabird eggs that were scrambled with a creamy sauce that brought the rich taste to another level.  The crumb toast was replaced with a bread that was full of nuts and seeds.  Audreena ate vigorously.  She seemed starved although she had eaten the day before just before she had fallen into mystic realm. 

“What is this bread?  It looks so filling.”  Audreena said as she picked up the slice of bread and turned it gingerly in her hands.  She tore off a piece and tasted it.  “It is sweet, Julibia, you have never made this before.”

“It is a special recipe that I was saving for this occasion.  I have never made it before, but I will start making it more often now.  It will help sustain you through your long journey.  Please eat, you will grow tired soon.  When you have eaten all that has been prepared we can talk.”

Audreena ate and savored every bite.  Her mother had heard that she was awake and had come in to see her just as she finished her breakfast.

“How are you feeling Audreena, Julibia said you weren’t feeling well last night.  You went to bed early and you have slept most of the day.  It is almost time for the midday meal.”

“I think I am just worn out from traveling mother,” Audreena said truthfully, if only she could tell her mother of her travels. “I will be ok soon I think.”

Giselle was here, she has asked that you and Rachaella attend her ball next week.  It will be grand and many from across the province are going to attend.  We should start planning your dress soon.”

“When I have more energy we will.  I am tired and want to rest some more.”  Audreena was starting to feel tired again and her eyes were heavy as she looked at her mother.

“Maybe you should get up and move about for a bit,” Grecia suggested innocently, “It might make you feel better.”

“Yes Audreena getting up would help you to stay awake.  Let’s stretch your legs now.” Julibia helped Audreena get out of the massive canopy bed.  The fire crackled softly on the hearth as they moved to the window.

“Audreena are you sure you feel alright?  You look unsteady,” the concern in her mother’s voice was evident.  Julibia knew Grecia would have to be told or she would send for the doctor.  She decided to wait until Audreena slept again. 

“I am ok mother.  I am just tired and my legs hurt from the walk I took yesterday afternoon.  I need to exercise them more often.” Audreena smiled weakly up at her mother hoping she would buy it.

“Is there something I can get you to help pass the time?” Julibia asked as Audreena settled in the chair by the window.

“Maybe my book.  I left it on the stand near my bed before we departed for the meeting.”  Julibia retrieved the book and smiled at the title.  “There you are;  Try to stay up for a bit, I have to return to the kitchen to prepare for the midday meal  Zeppa will be here to help you if you do not feel strong enough to get back to the bed on your own.”

“Julibia would you send for the doctor.  I would like him to check her over.  She is active enough that a short walk should not make her legs hurt.  She doesn’t seem well; she must have caught something while we were at the council meeting.”  Grecia looked at Audreena and then back at Julibia, “Do you not think there is something wrong with her?”

“I think she is just tired and needs to have some time to rest. But that is my opinion, not yours.”  Julibia seemed to be trying to decide how much to say in front of Audreena.  “I should have a word with you before a doctor is called.  I may know what has happened here but I do not want to share it in front of anyone.”

“Very well, tend to the kitchen then find me.  I don’t want to wait, what if she becomes ill with a fever or in her lungs.”

“Don’t fret my lady; I assure you she will not.  I will find you soon.” And with that she bustled out the door.

“Zeppa, do you think she is wrong?”  Grecia turned to the other woman in the room with the inquiry.

“Mother I said I am fine, just tired.  Touch my head, I am not ill.”  Audreena was becoming annoyed at her mother for fussing over her.

“I think Julibia is right.  Miss Audreena is worn out from her journey.  She will be ok.”  With that she turned back to fluffing the bedding.

“Well ok then,”Grecia said as she touched Audreena’s cool brow, “if you are sure.  You sure have become snarly today.  Can I send some tea up, maybe that would ease your aches and make you less of a grouch.”

“Sure mother, have Julibia make me some tea.  I would love that.”  Audreena smiled up at her mother trying to keep her from worrying herself to death.  Really she wanted to take the book of “abilities” and throw it at her mother for being such a fuss. 

As she read she began to realize that this book was written by someone who knew nothing about the mystic.  She guessed that whoever wrote it must have been a Lord who researched abilities by talking to people.  Either the author had no knowledge or chose to leave out all information that might help her.  Audreena became bored with the book and set it on the seat beside her.  When she laid her head back in the chair Zeppa was at her side in a second. 

“Remember you need to stay awake and alert for at least an hour.  There is still a chance you can be lost to the mystic.  You have only been in this world for a short period of time.  Please fight Audreena.”  Zeppa took Audreena’s hand and patted it as she spoke.  Worry gripped her for this girl who had brought joy to her heart for many years. 

“I just want to close my eyes again, I feel drawn to the dream.”  Audreena could feel the pull of sleep trying to claim her.

“Audreena, stand up!” Zeppa spoke with forceful words, “Bayleen counts on you more than you know.  You cannot be lost or I will lose my precious boy as well.  I am certain of it.”

“Mother,” Bayleen spoke with surprise in his voice, “do you need some help?  Julibia was concerned that Audreena would not be able to stay awake for long and sent me to assist.”

“We need to get her up.  She has to stay awake.  Help me keep her awake Bayleen.”  Bayleen knelt by Audreena and took her hand.

“Audreena, it is not time to sleep yet.  Come let’s take a walk.  I want to show you something.”  Audreena’s eyes focused on Bayleen and she struggled to her feet.  He guided her to the window with his mother’s help. “That tree in the courtyard was in my dreams when the mystic took me.  It wasn’t here in your courtyard but I am certain it was that tree.  You will be ok I know you will.  Stay with me here long enough for me to tell the tale then you can sleep.”

“I will try Bayleen, sleep wants to claim me.”

“When I saw that tree it was enchanted, surrounded by fairies.  They had wings and hovered in the air like humming birds.  Their dresses were every color you can imagine.  Rachaella would be thrilled to see the beadwork and embellishments that they sported.  They told me I had a powerful seeker in my life that only time would reveal.  I never dreamed it would be you.  Audreena it has to be, I did was not drawn with such power into the mystic.  That has to be why your journey is so hard.  You are the strongest person I know.  You have the strength to fight this and come back to us.  Just remember we are here waiting for you.”  Bayleen seemed to drift into the memory, “I never thought I could share that with you.  Now I know that I was meant to.”

Audreena looked at him with new eyes.  “Bayleen you are a gift I need to sleep now.”

Bayleen and Zeppa moved Audreena back to the bed where she drifted into a magical sleep.  Bayleen left with the excuse he was needed in the stables.  Truthfully he just wanted to escape the awkwardness he felt at having heard his mother plead for Audreena to be ok.  He never knew his mother cared for anyone.  The last time he could remember her showing him any kind of affection he was six or seven.  He was too stunned to ask her why she felt it but could not show it. 





Julibia knew she had to face Grecia but nothing could prepare her to reveal her secret after so many years. When Julibia knocked at the chamber door the echo of the wood door struck her deep in her soul.  She was unsure how much of the truth she would have to reveal and the thought of telling Grecia that she had failed to protect her brother made her heart sick with worry.

“Julibia, what is this about?  Audreena is very ill; I have just come from her chamber where she is sleeping so deeply that no one can wake her.  I have not seen sleep like that since my brother was sick with the fever.  Mother said he would be alright but he died anyway.  Maybe if he had not been so ill that forest cat would not have made such easy prey of him.”  Grecia was rambling with irrational fear.

“I am afraid you are partially correct ma’am.  I have a wild tale to tell and it begins with a young girl who did not know what she was doing and that very moment that you speak of now.”  Grecia started to speak but Julibia stopped her before any words formed.  “You know me well and you know I do not lie unless there is a darn good reason for it.  I have spent my life trying to make up for the lies I have told and right now is a moment I never wanted to face.  No matter how outrageous this may seem please let me finish before you speak.” Grecia nodded and Julibia sat on the bed next to her employer who was more like family than anything else and began.

“Back when your brother was ill I was sent to find him.  The problem was I did not know it was him I was supposed to find.  I know you believe in the magic of abilities but there is more out there and I have the ability to find those with strong powers that transcend anything you can imagine.  Your brother held this power within him and the illness you remember was the onset of his mystical powers.  I felt him and knew he was here. I traveled across the land to find him.  I was in the woods near here trying to figure out the best way to proceed when I was visited by a blue fairy.  She told me that to find the one I was seeking I needed to become a lady and go to the winter ball.  She told me the one I was seeking was in this house.  I secured a gown and went but she did not know that Ashral the sphinx was also at this ball.  She had felt his powers through the mystic too.  I could not get close enough to him to single out who I was feeling this from.  This sphinx was able to bewitch him and lure him.” Julibia paused for a moment and then continued, “You see I can only determine who the power I am feeling is coming from when I get them alone, away from anyone else and I never suspected this strong of signal to be coming from a Lord.  I failed him because I was looking in the wrong places.  When I found him alone it was too late the sphinx had attacked him.”  Julibia cried as she went on with her tale and Grecia sat motionless and silent on the bed next to her.  Both women were raw with emotions that they had no control over.  Julibia continued with sorrow in her voice.

“The same thing is happening to your daughter and this time I will protect her.  If we call the doctor they will not be able to do anything for her and any treatment they may offer would interrupt the natural course of her mystic journey.  I am asking you to take a leap of faith and believe in me.  I know how to protect her I just need you to help me.”

“Anything,” Grecia said in a breath of fear, “I will do anything to help you protect my daughter.  Why would you tell the untrue tale of my brother being attacked by a forest cat?  Why not tell us then what dangers there were in the world?”

“I was not sure you would accept my explanation if I told the truth.  The blond vixen Ashral was the sphinx you know, he was so taken by her because she wielded great power over him.  Once she owned his heart it was easy for her to lead him to his death.  How could I tell you, or your parents, that the young woman they hoped for him to wed someday was the one who attacked and killed him?  She was half large cat so; in the end, it wasn’t a complete untruth just an easier version to be believed.  I cannot imagine how I would have been received with a tale like this then.  Your parents would have turned me out and I needed to stay close.  Ashral told me before she fled that another would come from this house before she fled into the forest and that she would be back for them.  I knew it wasn’t you; you were already past the age where onset would have occurred.  That left your children or grandchildren.  You were pregnant with Audreena at the time so I figured if I just stayed as a common kitchen maid I would be able to be near enough to sense when it was happening.  I did not, it happened right under my nose and I hadn’t a clue.  I discovered that my ability to feel comes after the first journey into the mystic.  Audreena’s friend Bayleen has also gone through this; although I sense that he is not as strong as she is.  I always knew he had abilities but I did not expect him to be a seeker of any kind.”

“What are you telling me?  That the woman who killed my brother is now hunting my daughter through some magic portal?”  Grecia was rigid with fear as she spoke.

“Something like that, I am prepared this time.  I have had seventeen years to prepare for this.  Ashral will not win this quest; I will.”  Julibia assured her.  “Audreena is vulnerable now but soon she will be strong.  We have to keep her safe until she is strong enough to defeat all that the mystic sends her way by making her wise enough to avoid it until then.”

© Copyright 2014 kat (katsbooks72 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1973975-Fantasy-Novel---chapter-6