*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1976700-Snowflake
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Other · Other · #1976700
Brief short story on world perceptions vs. actuality. 1 curse word, but otherwise rated E.
30 Days of Drabble: Snowflake

         A tiny, white snowflake fluttered down to Earth. It twisted and turned, whipped around by wind and circumstance. It dodged a young girl's eyelashes and watched as a few of its brothers and sisters were caught in her hair. It spun around a few times in a halo of light then drifted onwards. It floated past more of its family, watching as they were packed into balls, only to fly through the air again. Eventually, the snowflake descended amid a circle of evergreens and settled comfortably on an aged park bench.
         An elderly couple shuffled towards the bench. The old man, always the gentleman, brushed shards of ice off the seat and laid a blanket across it. His love blushed a soft pink-- after all these years some things never changed-- and thanked him before sitting down. The gentleman followed suit and sank down onto the bench. The two clasped hands and stared out into nothing. After a while, the gentleman turned his head and stared at the eyes he loved: pure, bright cobalt (the winter always brought out the strongest shade of blue).
         In response, a quirked eyebrow and a teasing smile, "May I help you?" lips curving into a half smirk, eyes dancing with the tease.
         "Yes," he quipped back, wiggling his eyebrows, "I'm married to this old hag, but I can't seem to find h--" he was cut off by a swift smack to the arm and a chuckle.
         "Oh, are we going to start on the old jokes? Because I have a few I've been saving up."
         "Really, now?"
         "Mhm, quite a few actually." The conversation faded with an amused smile and a swift kiss.
         The two settled into a comfortable silence, occasionally stealing glances at each other, grinning and giggling whenever these glimpses crossed. Hands clasped together tightly, snuggled into each other's sides, alone among the frosted pine trees, a perfect picture in the peaceful night.
         The little, white snowflake watched the couple from its perch on the bench, grateful that the two hadn't jostled its precarious position. Warmed by their presence, the snowflake began to melt away. It observed wordlessly, wondering at a love so simple and yet so lasting. The snowflake was still gazing at the couple when a young woman walked past. Staring at the pair on the bench with a mixture of resentment and disgust, she spat out one sharp word, "Fags"

© Copyright 2014 Enola K. (kathlegit at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1976700-Snowflake