*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1976867-Lonesome-Love
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1976867
a war brides lonesome goodbye
She stood there watching the honor guard pick up the flag that was draped across his casket.  They began folding the flag; corner to corner, stripe matching stripe, then the triangular folds started forming. With the blue field of stars tucked in the guard slowly walked towards her.  He graciously handed her the flag, whispered something in her ear…..perhaps condolences, she wasn’t sure, then saluted.  She could hear the sound of Taps playing nearby while the popping started. Her shoulders jerked with each pop.  The popping sound the 21 gun salute made was loud and lonesome.   

Someone walked up beside her and gently took her arm.  She was being led back to the long black car sitting in the drive close to the cemetery entrance.  She hated to go and leave him there in the cold dark ground.  She thought back to when he had first left her.  He had boarded the train which was to take him south towards the base; from there a military plane would fly him into the unknown regions of Europe and Asia.  He was not at liberty to say exactly where he would be stationed, but she knew without a doubt she must accept this mission along with him.  “Duty calls the men to war, the women don’t complain.”  Isn’t that what the Generals wife had said to the soldier’s wives recently? 

Her soldier had returned; however, it was not as she had hoped.  Not how either one of them had intended.  The battle may have been won by their country, but it was a long fight.  He had not survived.  As she looked back at the site she had left her beloved, she could almost hear him say “I am gone now, My Love, but am at peace.  Peace to you, too, My Love”.



Word Count:  301

© Copyright 2014 RoyalMQ (royalmq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1976867-Lonesome-Love