*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1978721-The-Island
Rated: E · Other · Fantasy · #1978721
Eight elements when four can only remain. They must defeat their darker twin element.
 There were better things to do than sit around a dusty room full of judging eyes. Listening to tales of eons ago predicting her future. Didn't she have a say in any direction her life would take her? It was anger that sprung tears which had her busting out of the meeting and off to the woods. Shoving her way through the weeds and branches her only goal to reach the ocean beyond to gather her thoughts. 

She was only a few feet in the dense woods when she heard his stomping feet behind her. She knew his words would be kind however even talking to him, her best friend, she wasn't in the mood to deal with.

         "You can turn around, you're wasting your time." Snapping more branches back from her face but not bothering to slow down or turn to look at him

         "You're suborn, it's what the whole room is saying!" chuckling and gaining speed on her

         "I guess that was the kindest word they could muster, and I have every right." She huffed pressing forward

Her magic would have her already on the beach with her toes in the salty water, but she didn't dare risk them sensing her magic and capturing her. He knew it too as he fell in stride with her.

         "They are only trying to prepare you for what's ahead." He began with caution

         "Nobody knows the extent of truth in those legends. So what, I am supposed to follow along just in case?"

         "Well your sister-

She spun to face him and cut off his words

         "My sister was already in love with Paxton, long before this hokey legend was revealed to us." She spat in anger

Turning from him she broke through the last branches revealing the open sea. Tearing the sneakers and socks from her feet as she walked. Tossing them carelessly as she moved towards the water. Plopping in the damp sand with a rock at her back she dug her feet in the sand and let the waves lap around them. Closing her eyes she felt her energy start to recharge and center.

         "Feel better?" making himself comfortable beside her

She shrugged slowly opening her eyes. "It's just forced and demanded. Gavin didn't look pleased either."

         "I think his girlfriend Tara will be the one with the real problem." Chuckling he tossed a stone out to the water

         "Nate, you knew this was coming, why didn't you tell me?"

         "I didn't know when council would want you to start training. I can see things, and I know the course you four are supposed to take, however even I don't know all the details."

She leaned her head on his shoulder still looking out at the endless horizon. "Tara is water, can't she be the chosen element?"

         "Afraid not, she appeases his appetite but she doesn't quench his soul."

She crinkled her nose standing to her feet. "If I am meant to love Gavin I just want it on my terms, not because a room of ancient men tell me to."

         "Where are you going now?" watching her gather her scattered shoes and socks

         "Guess home, face my sister. I'm sure there will be a mouthful for me storming out of there."

Brushing the sand off her feet she slipped back on her socks and shoes. Walking over to Nate she offered her hand out to him.

         "Will you face the firing squad with me?"

         "Of course" smiling he took her hand getting to his feet

{.
© Copyright 2014 fictionfate (fictionfate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1978721-The-Island