*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1979198-Metal-In-The-Sand
by Janine
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1979198
Some friends explore other locations with some magical teleportation.
"Hey guys, look over here, look what I found." Greg called out.

"What is it?" a friend yelled from down the beach.

The guys all stood in a circle around a metal object sticking out of the sand.

Greg put his hand on it and to the guys' amazement he disappeared.

"What do we do now?!" Tom said to the others.

"Let's see what happens when we do it." They all touched the metal at the same time and ended up next to Greg in a forest.

"Where are we?" Tom asked.

"We're in a jungle, but never mind that. Look up ahead. There is another piece of metal like the first one!" Greg exclaimed.

"Should we try it again and see if it takes us back to the beach?" Tom suggested.

"We've got nothing to lose. We're already lost." Greg led the way.

They disappeared again only to wind up in a different location with a different piece of metal near them. They continued jumping from one place to another, stopping to enjoy the sights, but never staying in one place too long. Thieving became an easy way to make a living with an easy get away built in.

One day, Greg got tired of this life with nowhere to call home. The rest of the guys wanted to continue and told him he could stay behind if he wanted to.

Greg watched as they all jumped to their next location. He grabbed onto the metal a few minutes after them and wound up back at the beach where their journey started.

Startled, he wondered if they all had control over their destinations the whole time. He decided not to experiment anymore and instead enjoyed a quiet life at home in his mansion built around the hunk of metal in the sand.
© Copyright 2014 Janine (janinecb99 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1979198-Metal-In-The-Sand