*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1979461-Chapter-3-of-Reborn-From-Ice
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1979461
This chapter has twists and turns and surprises. Read to find out what happens next.
I woke with a start. Something was wrong. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but I know somethings off. I scanned the icy tundra that lies in plain sight from the threshold of the cave. There was no ruckus. No birds struggling to chirp their cheerful melody hoping it will bring spring in their wake, no woodpeckers pecking away at the almost lifeless trunk that contains the delicious tree sap it so desperately needs to survive in the harsh conditions, and even no doe walking stealthily with their young trudging behind in search of the nearly extinct vegetation that lies beneath the freezing delicate blanket of snow covering the soil almost as if it were trying to protect it. There was nothing but silence....an eerie silence.
Cautiously, I gradually rose from the warm spot of soil were my body used to lay. I took step after step towards the entrance of the cave and when I finally reached the exterior of the cave, my safe haven, the winter air nipped at my exposed skin and forced my teeth into a sudden chatter. My stomach growled, demanding my attention, and I made my way towards the dark forest in search of the sweet clear liquid that has satisfied the quench of thirst for millions of people every day, and something to eat to stop the rumbling of my demanding stomach.
With each step my feeling of unease seemed only to rise and I soon got the feeling of being watched. I frantically glanced around the area in search of the perpetrator who would frighten me this way. But, there was nothing but few trees, snow covered soil, and the vicious sting of the wind. I soon came upon a hedge covered with assorted berries. The pains in my stomach seemed to grow impossibly stronger and my eyes and hands were impatient and greedy. I used the sweat shirt I was wearing to hold and carry the berries I picked back to the cave. Let me tell you, in this weather, that was NOT the smartest of ideas.
Practically sprinting back to the cave with the freshly picked berries in my grasp, my mind paid no attention to my surroundings, only to the meal I was about to have. As I got closer and closer to the cave I suddenly heard the deafening crunch of the snow from behind me....I was being followed. I quickly spun around only to be face to face with a black hooded figure with a blinding evil smirk and a mischievous glint in his cold icy blue eyes. He was tall, around 6' 4"....Well That's taller then me anyways. The next thing I know he ripped the berries from my grasp, spun me around, and shoved a cloth in my face. I thrashed and fought with all my might, but it just wasn't enough and I soon turned limp in his iron grip. The last thing I remember thinking was, someone please save me!
© Copyright 2014 PeanutButter23 (peanutbutter23 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1979461-Chapter-3-of-Reborn-From-Ice