*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1979666-Dark-Amaryllis
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1979666
Kayn has yet to find his mate. But when war is started and blood is shed, will it change?
Once there was a kingdom called Amaryllis. This kingdom was ruled by a ruthless king who was called Lord Dark. No one has ever known the kings real name. They say he changed his name to something that he knew people would remember; and when they thought of his name, they would be filled with terror. Now, Lord Dark had a son to inherit the throne when he passed through the veil separating the land of the living and the deceased. His son was known as the Prince of darkness because he is known to be even more evil and deceiving than his own father.

The kings' son was in many battles and is also known as the King of War. He has never lost a battle and has many battles scars that devour his skin like a sickness. His real name is Kayn. The king had many wives in his lifetime, no one is sure which wife beared his son. The king never speaks of her to anyone, especially not to Kayn. Some say the kings late bride died giving birth to his son, others say she was brutally murdered by the king' s hand.

The people that live in Amaryllis are known as the Draquis, because they are ruled by a dictator. Every Draquis has a true mate. Some are lucky to find them in this lifetime, others don't find them until the next. Lord Dark found his true mate, but no one knows if his true mate was Kayn' s mother, or another one of his wives. Kayn has yet to find his true mate. He unconsciously searches for the other half of his soul, calling out desperately in search of his mate.

Many moons have gone by since Kayn began his search, and the kingdom of Amaryllis faces grave danger. The Dragoins have invaded their land and stolen true mates from their warriors. There has always been tension between the two races. It all started with the ancestors of both races having a disagreement. Ever since, both races have blindly hated each other. Over time, the hatred for each other has finally caused both races to cause a full blown war. The king and his son were shipped off to the battle field when the war first began. The war has been ongoing for three years now and many hope it will soon come to an end.

On the battlefield, Kayn is surrounded by men in armor that is black as night, and carry swords that have spilt the blood of hundreds of innocent men splattered across their vicious blades. Heart pounding, adrenaline racing, Kayn took a swipe of his sword at one of the knights that came charging at him with a fierce battle cry emitting from his lips. Kayn' s blade tore through the knight's abdomen like a knife slicing butter.

The blood of knights, Martials, and peasants who fought bravely in the war was smeared all over the ground. It was so horrifying, that it seemed like the sky was crying thick streams of blood, while the remains of the warriors were scattered across the now tainted grass of the once beautiful field. Kayn heard a terrified scream, full of pain and remorse, of a woman over by a cliff. He dashed towards the noise like a blind man that has seen the light. When he reached the cliff, he quickly scanned the area for any danger. He spots a man holding a young woman who looks like she was in her early twenties. The man's lips are curved upwards to form a sickening smirk while staring down Kayn like a hawk. His gaze sent chills through Kayn' s body. The man had green eyes that were cold, hard, and held the promise of destruction and danger within their depths.

Kayn then turned his attention to the to the distressed woman who was frantically struggling to free herself from the man's death grip. She was shaking like a leaf, and her face was turning the deepest shade of blue that Kayn ever saw. Kayn drew his sword and chunked a piece of his armor at the feet of the man, silently declaring a duel of life or death. The man gradually releases the fair maiden and unsheaths his sword in acceptance.

Kayn and the man then begin to circle one another like a predator stalking its prey. The man lunges forward first, and Kayn vigorously jerks to the left and then the circling begins again. This goes on for another thirty minutes, and then finally, Kayn uses his right foot to serve under the man and push his left foot out from under him, causing him to immediately lose his footing and balance. The man wavered, then fell on his back straight into a pile of jagged rocks. The man lets out his last mournful cry, and then Kayn plunges his sword into the man's chest ending his life.

Kayn turns to the woman and takes a moment to look at her. She had long wavy dirty blonde hair that stopped just above the small of her back, and her eyes sparkled like emeralds. She was average height, in between 5'4" and 5'6". She wore a long blood red dress that complemented her tanned skin tone, she had a heart shaped face, a button nose, and thin lips. When Kayn turns from his trance, he assures her there is no more danger and that all is well. Introductions are made, and he learns that the name of this fair maiden is Elizabeth. He can't help but wonder if she knows his true identity, so he asks her. She said that she in fact does know who he is and also said that no man that knows only evil could have done what he did, so she knows the rumors can't be true. Kayn can't help but gaze at her with a look of amazement and wonder. She then suggests that they run away and start a new where there is no rumors and they are known for how they portray themselves.

After that, no one ever saw Kayn or Taryn again. Some say they still roam this vast world in hiding, others say they perished soon after the war was over. No one really knows and hey....who knows if anyone will ever know. It's yet another mystery unknown to the Draquis.
© Copyright 2014 PeanutButter23 (peanutbutter23 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1979666-Dark-Amaryllis