*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1984329-Blink-once
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1984329
300 words daily flash fiction challenge
White walls. Bright lights. The hum of urgent activity.
I am staring at really bright lights. I slowly blink and try to focus.
I cannot seem to feel my body. I try to move. These lights are burning a hole in my retinas. I blink again.
Images start washing over me- night time, worst blizzard in 50 years, a long slow curve.
The kids were arguing over which DVD to watch.
I blink again.
  Did I turn around to tell them to quiet down so I could pay attention to the road?
These fluorescent lights are awful.
I must be in the hospital. I hope the kids are OK. I need to know about the kids.
  My eyes are so dry......stupid lights.
A gruff voice cuts through. I blink.
" you've been in an accident"
the buzzing of the lights, the buzzing of activity- it's all so hard to focus.
I blink again.
  " you are lucky we found you- worst storm in 50 years- we only found you because someone noticed the damaged guardrail. I still have men onsite, but it's getting so cold .
I need to know if you were travelling with someone."
I think about the kids. They must still be out there, alone, in the cold.
I blink. My eyes are so dry.
The gravelly voice continues " I need to know whether to call my men in - blink once for yes and twice for no- did you have someone travelling with you?"
These blasted lights. I must save my kids.
I clear my head- I blink to focus, then then do as he says- I blink once for yes.
" two blinks- no-one else out there. Call off the search, and get the men back to the station to warm up. They must be freezing to death."
© Copyright 2014 D. NuMont (wattage at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1984329-Blink-once