*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1985153-Boss
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Business · #1985153
Part one of two flash fictions
How about that, you work till your hands turn crimson and your head becomes so numb. It has been like this for the last 11 years at the job. This stuff has become the norm, so I’m use to it. But what I don’t appreciate is the boss’s son, Jacob. He occasionally shows up to work on time, and if he does he is un-prepared. He always says he would do his fair share of work, yet his laziness puts it off till someone else takes over. Bob, a friend of mine, eventually got sick of it to the point of confronting Jacob and his boss. Now Bob sits at home, unemployed. I don’t know what Bob said, but I do know he would never say anything vulgar, he was a clean gentleman. This would make me very mad, but this isn’t anything new. It’s what is next that pisses me off.



         Boss pulled me out in the middle of the job.

“Do you enjoy your job?” 

“Yes” I acquiescedly. I had a feeling that he was going to ask me to take his place, since I had the longest experience at the job and was successful, plus I was due for my move up on the job.

He later said, “Well, I got a call the other day, I have been diagnosed with cancer, I need to have someone take over, I figured I let my boy take my place; that is, if you don’t mind?”

I would have made his cancer go away at that very moment if I had lost all my self-control.

“Get well soon,” I murmured and walked away.

“I don’t understand a you just said, come back” he said.

These would be the final words shared between us; for he died the other week.

© Copyright 2014 Maroon_Menace (dwb252 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1985153-Boss