*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1989398-The-Chaos-Theory-Book-One---Chapter-One
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1989398
This is the first chapter of a book that I will be posting to the site. Send feedback
Chapter One: The Ring of Heron

My name is Trevor Vance and I'm nobody special. I have lived in Jewel City all twenty seven years of my life. The past few days have been actually pretty crazy here. Not just in Jewel City, but all over America. Terrorist activity has been on the rise ever since America interfered with personal issues overseas and crime has been on the rise. I believe that it is safe to say that we have seen better times but I'm making the best of a grim situation. I haven't allowed these situations to affect my everyday life. Instead, I just go along with my day as normal. I wake up at seven in the morning then immediately take a shower. Make my coffee and my breakfast and watch the morning news. Only this time, there was some "Hope" in what I saw in the news.

"With the rise of crime in our city and hatred toward our country, we have decided to take higher measures to protect the innocent. I, General Bragg, is proud to announce our newest announcement in defensive measures." As he said this, the camera cuts to a curtain unveiling what seems to be a high tech, body suit. "This is what we call a mech suit. Its from the highest lines of engineering, this suit provides nearly indestructible defense and powerful firearms that will stop any enemy in their tracks. being that this is only a prototype unit, we can't show a demonstration yet, but our functional units will be ready for testing in the near future and we should be able to show you a field demonstration in the next week. That is all."

Mech suit marines? That's actually pretty awesome. It's like a look into the future and I can see it being a way to finally turn the country around. Now it's time for work and I have it pretty easy. I work as an assistant for a professor by the name of Felix Moore and I help his research progress. He has been researching something that has been calling the chaos theory. He started the research after he found a special artifact that has been known to have an odd history with it. It's been said to give its user special powers but only if used the correct way. That's what we are researching and we are nearing a remarkable breakthrough. the artifact we are researching is some sort of ring. Through our research, we have found out that it was originated in Egypt and used by pharaohs to help establish their dominance to their servants. After we find out how it works, the fun part will begin. As i approached Professor Moore's office, I noticed some unusual vehicles parked in the front. Blacked out SUV's with government license plates. I parked my car and walked in and noticed two men in suits and sunglasses in the lobby. I did not think anything about it until I reached Professor Moore's office and noticed something odd. A man in a full marine suit with his many medals shining in the light was talking with Felix. I walked in and they stopped their conversation to look at me.

"Ahh, Trevor!" The Professor greeted, " Come meet the General." As I walked in the room, the general held out his hand for a hand shake and I gave him one and placed my items down. "The general is here to talk to us about our research."

"That is correct." The General cut in, "I heard that you guys were doing the research on the chaos theory and have an interesting artifact in your possession. I actually have some information on the said artifact.Do you mind if I see it?"

"Yes you may." The professor said and he went into the back office to search for it.

"So weren't you on the news today?" I asked the general.

"Oh, you watched that?"

"Yes I did. I watch the news every morning. The mech suits actually seem pretty awesome."

"Yes, they were also very expensive. I'm hoping that the artifact that the professor has found will actually help the progress of the suits."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, if this is the artifact I think it is, then it will help me control the rest of the mech suits."

"Control the rest of the mech suits? What do you mean?"

Before the general could answer, the professor returned with a box.

"Here it is!" The professor said with excitement.

He opened the box and held up the ring. General Bragg's eyes opened wide with excitement as he laid his eyes on the artifact.

"That is it!" He exclaimed, "Its the Ring of Heron. The ring gave whoever wore it the power to control full armies and subjects. It also has a chaotic past. It bends human nature to make its powers work to its advantage. I need to call this in."

General Bragg pulled his phone out and stepped out of the room.

"Call it in? What do you think he meant by that?" I asked.

"I have no idea, but I'm sure there's nothing to worry about. Trevor, could you grab me some coffee? With this new information, I have a lot of research to do now that we have this new information."

I walked out of his office and down the hallway to run into General Bragg finishing up his phone conversation and walking back to the lobby to speak with his men in suits. I made the coffee and returned to the professor's office. When I entered, General Bragg was back in the office but the mood was shifted. It felt tense.

"General, I can't give you this artifact. I found it myself and I still have much research to do on it." The Professor defended.

"Professor, this isn't any playing issue. This could be the source of defending your country. Do you not care?"

"I care but I can't let it go. Not yet. I need more time with it."

Before General Bragg could reply, there was a knock at the door. I opened it and met a man in a black jacket, black pants, pitch black sunglasses and red hair and a pointy red beard.

"Ahhh, Spencer, that was a fast arrival." General Bragg greeted as the man proceeded into the room.

"That's not important. The ring. Where is it?" Spencer asked.

The professor held it up and Spencer grew a large smile upon his face.

"So the rumors are true. You have developed the chaos theory and discovered one of the golden artifacts." Spencer said.

"Golden artifacts? Is that what this is?" The professor asked.

"Yes, one of many. The artifacts have helped many people throughout history do their bidding. Unfortunately, nobody has been known to use it with its full potential or its right way. Could I see your research?"

"I'm sorry, but at the moment these notes are confidential and I cannot release them to the public yet." The professor answered and it was immediately noticeable that this was not the answer Spencer wanted to hear.

"Very well." Spencer said and he left out of the office.

"Well that was interesting." General Bragg said and he left as well.

"What was that about?" I asked.

"I have no idea but there's absolutely no time to dwell on mysteries. Take this ring back to the backroom and take the night off. I am going home to finish my research since I'm going to be going all night."

I took the ring and walked toward the back office when my phone rang.

"Hey Joey." I answered, "Whats up?"

"Nothing much man. We are all getting together to go to my brother's concert. Want to come?"

"Of course. I got the night off so that's perfect." While saying this, I accidentally slipped the ring back into my pocket and left the building. Excited for my plans for the day.
© Copyright 2014 Mr. Johnson (outkast511 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1989398-The-Chaos-Theory-Book-One---Chapter-One