*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1991164-Difficult-Decision
by k-baum
Rated: E · Short Story · Health · #1991164
A man's decision
Prompt 5 (378 words)
“There is a cure for your disease,” the doctor told the 60-year old man with Chorea, “but there is only a limited supply of the medicine.”
“That’s amazing, but how limited is the supply?” said the man.
“There is only enough to cure 1,000 people.”
“I need time to think about whether I want the cure or not, before I make my decision.”
The doctor was surprised by the man’s response because for many years all the man wanted was to be rid of this disease. “You have a very short period of time to make the decision,” the doctor replied.
“How long do I have to make my decision?” the man asked.
“You only have 24 hours.”
The man left the doctor’s office and drove home.
On his way home, the man wondered how his wife would respond to the news.
When the man returned home, he went inside and told his wife immediately. His wife was excited about the news, but when she looked at him, she noticed he didn’t look excited.
“Are you not excited?” she asked him.
“Of course, I am but there is only enough to 1,000 people.”
“You have to take the opportunity to get this cure,” his wife said.
“But I have lived my entire life with this disease. If I get the cure, I would feel like a part of me is missing. Plus there must be younger people, who would benefit more from the cure than I would,” he responded.
His wife was silent for a moment then said, “I will support whatever your decision is.”
He gave his wife a kiss on the cheek and said, “I know you will, which is why I wanted to wait to make my decision until I talked to you. I have made my decision. I am going to pass on the cure and let those who would benefit from it, have the opportunity to live without this disease.”
He then went to the phone and called the doctor’s office and told the doctor his decision and explained why he made the decision. The doctor was again surprised by the man, and asked him if he was sure. When the man assured him, his decision was final, the doctor said he understood.
© Copyright 2014 k-baum (k-baum2011 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1991164-Difficult-Decision