*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1991790-The-Calling
by JGill
Rated: E · Short Story · Supernatural · #1991790
A coven of witches gets a surprise during a full moon rite.
"Sally come here, the Crone approaches and the rite is about to begin." Marybeth chases her your daughter around the forest clearing trying to calm her down for the ritual that is about to get underway.

Suddenly, there is a low murmur of voices as the oldest and wisest of the group, the Crone, approaches the fire.  She is loving woman with a tongue that can cut steel when need be. As she draws closer to the altar at the center of the gathering, the voices grow silent in anticipation.

The Crone kneels before the altar uttering a silent prayer to the Gods. She has performed this rite for countless years. The first being when she was just sixteen years old. She remembers it all with great fondness, still able to recall the trepidation she felt at leading The Calling for the first time.

Pulling herself from the memory, she reaches for the chalice sitting on the altar. Raising it in the air she blesses the contents. Replacing the chalice on the altar she grabs the herb pouch. Turning to face the fire, she tosses the mixture of hazel, dittany and rue into the fire. As the herbs start to burn and the scent starts to waft through the clearing, the Crone raises her arms and speak.          

"Holy Mother, she who is Queen of the Witches. We call you forth this evening to provide us with your blessings. Your children welcome you to our circle. We ask that you grace us with your presence. So mote it be!"

As the Crone speaks the last words, those gathered repeat, "So mote it be!"

Suddenly, as the group speaks the last syllable, the wind gusts, sending sparks from the fire flying into the air. In the distance a wolf howls at the full moon overhead as birds take flight from the surrounding trees.

Without warning, the Crone is lifted into the air. Her eyes glow with a pure white light. Slowly she is lowered back to the ground. Turning around to face those gathered she speaks.

"My children, I come as you have requested. Too long have I slept. Slumbered while you have struggled and suffered.  But, behold. I am awakened. "

Sally, breaks free of her mother and runs up to the Goddess controlled Crone.  She embraces her and says, "We have missed you."

The Goddess/Crone kneels in front of the child and tenderly takes her face in her hands.

"I know child. I have missed you as well."

Standing, the Goddess once again addresses the crowd.

"From this moment on, things will change. No longer will I be a myth. No longer will you be persecuted for believing in me. My children have roamed the Earth for countless generations, and the time has come for you to step out of the shadows. The time has come for you be conduits for change this world so desperately needs."

At hearing this news, the crowd starts to cheer and weep.


"I must take my leave. This vessel grows weak. I love you all."

Without warning, the Crone drops to her knees. She is visibly drained from what has just happened.

"Crone, you were..."

"I know Sally. I am aware of all that was said."

Getting to her feet, the Crone looks to those gathered.

"I must say, this is the most unique Calling rite I have ever performed." The Crone laughs heartily at his and the group joins her.

"I think we are done for the evening. Let us all go home to rest. We can talk more about this night later. Drive safe everyone and Blessed Be."

As the group disperses, the Crone looks up to the shining moon above and whispers,

"Finally."

         

© Copyright 2014 JGill (jasongill82 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1991790-The-Calling