*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2000876-Inferno-Chapter-One
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · History · #2000876
The first chapter to my new World War II novel, Inferno.
Inferno

Chapter 1: Rocked to the Core


         Disclaimer: They didn't do it. Japan didn't bomb Pearl Harbor.

It was a damn accident, that's what it was. I dare you to tell me otherwise. You're probably thinking: "Well, then why did the U.S. join the war?" I got your answer. You know why? I was there. Yes, the  Japanese were involved. But not in that type of way.
         It was early morning duty for me and my fellow soldiers. I was sitting in the hangar with them. We were drinking and playing cards instead of inspecting the planes.
         "Hey, Christoph! What if I tried to fly one of these planes," Ernie called. With my head lowered, I smiled. These guys were ridiculous. Then, I heard him grunting and the clang of metal. I looked up in surprise. This guy was actually gonna do it. I got up off my box.
         "All right, Ernie. Get off of there." The stocky dude looked at me cockily. "You're no fun! Come on and join me. We'll fly across the world." I raised my eyebrows and turned away. Then, I heard an engine start. This was starting to get out of hand.
         I turned and said "Ernie, you're drunk. Turn the plane off and get out of it." Ernie looked into my serious blue eyes. His smile only got wider. The other dudes rooted him on. They weren't doing a damn thing to stop him.
         Ernie was getting ready to take off. I walked steadily towards the plane. I looked straight into his eyes. I said comminatively "Get out the plane, now." My voice was calm. I didn't want to startle him, but I did want him to know that I was serious.
         I felt someone slap me on the back. I nearly fell on my face. Robert smiled at me. "Come on, Christoph! You're already acting like a General. All serious, no fun. Let's have this last moment together before you get promoted."
         I had to smile at that. I was one day away from commanding them. Not that we were going to war any time soon. No thanks to Ernie, of course. But that's besides the point.
         The propellers on the plane started to spin. Everyone stepped to the side so the plane could run down the runway.
         "Ernie, get your ass out the plane!" I yelled. The plane rushed out the hangar and down the runway. I ran after it, beads of sweat forming on my forehead. This getting totally out of hand. I had to stop him!
         "Christoph! What the hell?! Why is one of our planes out the hangar? I hope I didn't decide to promote a fool." I gulped at the thought of him changing his mind. I saluted him.
         "Don't worry, Sir. This is just a test fly." I smiled nervously. He narrowed his eyes with suspicion, which almost made me wet my pants. Ernie had taken off. I waved my hands above my head, trying to get his attention.
         My buddies just stood at the hangar entrance, staring at me. That pissed me off. I whirled on them with anger. "What are you idiots just standing there for? Help me get his attention!"
         Just then, from the corner of my eye, I saw a fleet of Japanese planes appear from the horizon. Oh no...... I thought. They were here to deliver some supplies to us. I turned back to the American swerving in the air. God forbid he crashes into one of them. I started to wave my arms again. I was aware of the men standing behind me in shock. I never raised my voice at them.
         They looked at me with hurt expressions. I was changing with my position. I was becoming the one thing we always hated. At the time, I didn't give them one thought. I had a job to do. I learned something that day. I didn't need friends. They only got in the way. They only caused trouble. They......they caused this devastation.
         Then, it happened. A bomb fell. I felt the ground vibrate beneath me. I heard men yelling around me. Another bomb fell. How would I be able to explain that a drunk guy killed 1200 people? Then, the boat in the harbor in front of me exploded. I sank into a trance as the shrapnels flew past me. I didn't know what to do. I was frozen to the spot. I felt someone grab, pulling me out my trance.
         "Chris! Snap out of it!" A voice ordered me. I staggered down to the docks. That's when I noticed the pain in my right shoulder. I suddenly felt light-headed. There was a large piece of shrapnel lodged into my clavicle. The burning pain made me drop to my knees.
         There was a deafening crash. I looked around frantically, clutching my shoulder. I didn't what I was looking for or what to do. The sun shimmered before my eyes. How dare it look so peaceful? Men were panicking. I had to keep them in order. I mustered all the strength I had to stand. But, someone pushed me back down. "You're hurt. Why in the world would you get up when your arm is on the verge of falling off?" I didn't respond. Everything was whirling around me. Finally, I blacked out.
         So, you see....it was an accident. No one was intended to get hurt. Maybe you'll view the war differently after reading this. But this is only the beginning.

© Copyright 2014 Dr. Hunter (bloodstar62 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2000876-Inferno-Chapter-One