*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2002757-Olivers-Thought
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Sci-fi · #2002757
Oliver has awoken from sleep in a tube. What will he find in this barren land?

         Time stands still as I float here; waiting. All I can see are those mysterious consoles that have no purpose but to mock me. Occasionally those men in funny white clothing come in and tap on the glass as if they are trying to provoke me. I haven't seen them in quite a while. Why? Did they forget me? Am I not important anymore? I think it's about time I take a nap. Wait... is that sound? What is this buzzing noise I hear in the back of my mind?

         "Hello, Oliver. Do not worry. You were not forgotten, just merely left unattended to. You will be collected soon. Do not hesitate and you will be just fine."

         The noise is drifting away but I can't shake these words. They are bouncing in my mind. They go back and forth as if I was swatting something between my hands. Now that I think about it, the water hasn't been changed in a long time. Green tinted water swirls between my fingers as I move them. Collected, huh? Why me and why didn't it come sooner? Could it have been the one that made those funny clothed men stop showing up? So many questions to ask this voice that I'm getting giddy! Well all that there is to do now is to wait and hope that it shows up and saves me from this tube. I feel kind of sleepy...

         THUNK, THUNK, THUNK!

         AHH! That noise! Are they back? Are they here to hurt me? Why can't I see? Oh... that's right, my eyes are closed. Do I want to open my eyes or do I want to keep them closed? If I open them I force the reality that they might be back to hurt me or could it be that it is here to save me? Okay, here I go. One, Two, and Three! What in the world! Did another one of the beasts get in here? What is that thing that is looking at me? Please don't eat me monster! This is just like that time that those furry little people came here and then turned into hairy laser beasties and they painted the walls red and purple. Wait a minute, where did that big hairless thing go? Oh my poor attention span, you really have done it now. Is it up there? How about down there? What about behind me? Of course not! Why would a hairless hoofabaloofa hide from me? Ha, I love coming up with names for those funny things. Hoofabaloofa, who would have thought that I could have come up with a great name like that.

         "By the Grand Ancients, Oliver! Please stop with the nonsense and bumbling. You are literally making me hit myself in the head because I want your thinking to stop. For now just focus on what is happening in the room. That thing you saw is called a "Bentha". It is extremely viscous and doesn't know you are there yet. For the time being it has left the room so you are safe. Find a way to drain your water and get out of there."

         Woo! The voice is back!

         "One last time, Oliver. Just focus on what needs to be done and less on what is happening"

         Okay, I'm sorry. Now it's time for me to find out how to get this nasty water away. If I remember right those people would always come up to the tank and fiddle with the bottom. Hmm... oh would you look at that! Absolutely nothing or so it seems! Off you go Mr. Floor Panel! That is the last time you mess with the great and amazing Oliver! Ah my evil nemesis! Dr. Wires! Take that, and that! Even take this! That should do that. Well would you look at that, nothing is happening, or so it seems. Time to go to plan B. Press the "once was shiny" red button in the hidden compartment. Open the flap and... shazam! Good riddance water! You were no match for me!  Ack! What is this smell? This feeling of pressure in my chest!

         "Oliver, I swear to the Grand Ancients that when I get you I will pummel you to the ground."

         Mr. or Mrs. or something like that voice, please don't hurt me! Tell me what to do now?

         "Escape?"

         Right you are Voice. I will leave now after I find out how to breath and how to open this glass tube thingy.

© Copyright 2014 Mike Penn (weaselofdeath at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2002757-Olivers-Thought