*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2005142-Adventure-Twins---Hope
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #2005142
Tommy wants to prove himself and is trapped in a cave on a stormy night.
Adventure Twins - Finding Hope



Familiar with each other, Tammy often finished Tommy's sentences. They were twins. They played together and formed an unbreakable bond until now. Tammy had moved ahead of Tommy in every area. She won every contest, scoring A's and earning more favors. He wanted to be his own person.



Bravado was running through his imagined hero's mind when he went to school. He hoped he could be somebody. He opened his locker as Jack intercepted him. Tommy started bragging about how high he could climb a tree. Jack decided to challenge Tommy. How could Tommy turn it down?



On the bus ride home Tommy told Tammy about the challenge. Tammy told him he shouldn't do it.




"You won't tell anyone, will you? Promise!"

"I Promise." She said reluctantly.




"I will tell Mom and Dad that I'm staying at Jack's. We will sneak out and go to the cave that is near his place. I'm planning on staying in the cave overnight. It will be fun."



"You shouldn't do it." Tammy sat back and sighed.  

He was finally going to get "bragging rights." Tommy thought as he stared past Tammy.

Friday arrived. Tammy had to stick to her word. That was the twin code. He had permission to stay at Jack's overnight. After checking in with Jack's parents they snuck out.  

He pointed his flashlight at the entrance to the cave. They heard rumbling in the clouds. A streak of lightening lit the dark. 



"You can stay in there but I'm going back home." Jack said as he quickly walked away.



Tommy moved a branch and entered the cave. A bat flew out. He scrunched down. Blop Blop Blop He flashed his light - water dripping from the ceiling. No dry spot. The walls drew closer together and the ceiling lowered as he pressed deeper into the darkness. He bent over, and shined his light forward. He didn't notice the incline. He went down, his flashlight dropped. He tried to stop himself. His descent was abruptly halted as his flashlight tumbled forward. He went to retrieve it but his foot was lodged between two rocks. He tried to stand. The rocks were unmovable. Maybe if I took off my shoe. That didn't work. Sweat formed on his forehead. His heart was about to come out of his chest. 



The hours turned into minutes. Someone will find me. Darkness began to drain him and hope faded. He took off his back pack and used it as a pillow. What was that? He turned around. It was a flash of light. "Hey, I'm down here." His foot was wet. He bent over and discovered the water was rising. "Dad get me out of here."



Where did the light go? There is was again. It was followed by a "boom". Then it dawned on him - Thunderstorm. Hours passed as Tommy listened to the cadence of the angry atmosphere.



He took deep breaths as he attempted to pull his foot out. It hurt. Despair set in. Out of the depths I cried. The whisper sent chills through him. He felt the water and it was up to his ankle. Oh God save me!

Tammy couldn't sleep because of the thunder. Her promise was a chain around her neck. She tossed and turned. Lightening lit up her room and a huge boom sent her off to her Dad. 



"Dad wake up." Tammy said as she shook her Dad.



"What is it?" Mom asked as she turned on her lamp.



"Tommy is in the cave."



"What? What are you talking about?"



"Tommy is staying the night in the cave."



"He is staying at Jack's," Mom said as she reached for the phone.



"The cave west of here?"  Dad asked as he slipped on his robe.



"Yes!"



"Tommy is not at Jack's place." Mom said as she hung up the phone. She put her robe on and headed to the car.



"Get the flashlight out of the glove compartment," Dad said as he stared straight ahead, the wind shield wipers working on full speed.

They were soaked by the time they reached the entrance to the cave. Dad's greatest fears were confirmed. Water was pouring into the cave. "Stay here" he said as he entered the cave. "Tommy!" 

The cold water was past his chest. 
Out of the depths I cried. Oh God, I cry to you. Save me.  A peace came over him as he felt the presence of God. He heard his name faintly. "Dad"

The storm had passed as Dad carried Tommy out of the cave. Tears filled Mom's eyes as they drove.




"Why did you do that?"



"Dad I wanted to be someone." 

Dad put the car in park. "Tomorrow is Easter and it is the greatest lesson of hope. You know what happened to Judas?"




"He died?"



"Yes and you know why he died?"



"He went against Jesus?"



"Well Peter denied Jesus also, but Peter didn't die. You know why?"

Tommy shook his head no as Dad began to explain to him that Judas put his hope in man while Peter put his hope in God.

"When I was in the cave, I thought I was going to die. I saw a light and cried for you to come. But you didn't come. I was so scared."




"Then I remembered the verse you told me."

"Psalms 130?"




"Yes, I cried out to God. It was strange Dad, but I knew everything would be ok. That's when you were there."

"Son you learned a valuable lesson. When you put your hope in man you will die, but when you put your hope in God you will live. That's the greatest Easter lesson." 






© Copyright 2014 Randy77 (randytramp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2005142-Adventure-Twins---Hope