*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2013364-The-Haunting-Disguise-of-Vermon-Lee
Rated: · Fiction · Horror/Scary · #2013364
Vermon Lee lead an ordinary life, until one Halloween when he found the perfect costume.
"I've got to go to work, I've got to go to bed." Vermon thought, as he prepared for Halloween day -- "I don't give candy to children -- candy is terrible, acquired in ill-begotten manners -- I only eat food that I know where it is coming from, I can't endorse that anyone do anyhow else." Scuttering down steps, Vermon shuffled through his house and out of his door, when suddenly he stepped right onto a snake sitting on the concrete and he screamed, "No! Why! I did not mean to cause such harm!" so he stepped right back inside his home, grabbed his phone and called his work to tell them that he was not going to attend today, for he needed to mourn for the life of the snake which he had killed in his haste.

Since Vermon wanted something to do, rather than to do mostly nothing, he chose to take a long walk, far past his community, and into the territory of the exceedingly rich, where a vast, non-commercial forest of trees lay right along-side their mansions. Vermon spontaneously decided to enter the forest off the roads, wondering, *what could be out there?* - his thought almost seemed to be answered by a rustling of the winds, and the scent of poison ivy floated up towards his nose and made him a tiny bit nauseous, although it somehow provoked his curiosity and coerced him to continue on into the forest. The forest that awaited him was growing ever-darker in places, with patches of light still flowing through to some places, and before he was very deep, he spotted the massive industrial structures of the city to the West of where he lived jutting out over top of the canopies of the forest trees. Still, it was not here that he felt where he could be comfortable, and at some point mourn the loss of the snake outside of his home. For this moment, Vermon stopped moving, and once again he could smell poison ivy around him, and the light shined in a sporadic way as it had before.

Vermon Lee couldn't decide if he wanted to go up or go down, so he swiveled in circles for a great long time, trying to catch scent of anything in any which way, until he concluded that something sweet was off to the north, and something foul to the south. Vermon Lee was never much a fan of anything sweet before - well, actually, that isn't true; Vermon happens to love sweet things, however, what he likes the most is sugar cane itself. In the past, he's been handed sugar root and eaten it straight off the plant, and everyone who heard him say that he enjoyed it quite a lot thought that he was being a facetious liar. However, he actually liked it quite a lot.

Some friends of Vermon's he lost, simply because whenever he was with them, they would never have anything other than sweets prepared. Vermon only enjoyed Vegetables and Wheats. Though, there were some fruits that he could enjoy -- but as far as sugars go, he found no greater satisfaction than from when he ate raw sugar cane.

Vermon decided this was as good a place as any to mourn for the loss of the snake on his porch this morning... he laid down and his mind went totally blank. During this time, Vermon had no consciousness. When Vermon awoke, he was covered with Ravens and there was a Giant Constrictor wrapped around his torso. He got to his feet and started running back towards his home, and the ravens followed, cawing at him wildly. He began throwing his hands towards his body to find some place to grab onto the snake, but couldn't until he threw his hands behind his back and the snake bit his hand violently. Vermon was unable to shake his hand free from the constrictors grasp, and his other hand failed to grab a hold of anything.

More crows joined in as he moved towards the city, which all began to cloud his vision, before suddenly, he crashed through a set of black bed sheets hanging outside to dry which clung to his body as he continued running, until he smacked right into the side of a house. There were children all about, looking in awe at this man-like figure draped in black cloth, with Ravens attacking and cawing at him. Vermon tried to gasp for air, but the snake had completely taken it away from him by now. His limbs clenched in a final death-rattle before the blood suddenly drained out of his face, and he lay almost lifelessly on the ground, except for the subtle movement of the constrictor as it secured Vermon's death.
© Copyright 2014 Cyber Deck (compelling at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2013364-The-Haunting-Disguise-of-Vermon-Lee