*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2013672-The-Believers-in-Fate
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Folklore · #2013672
A group of asexuals travel across the land of a fantasy world.
Four men; Dreachus, Redrog, Alcernamus, Urost, and four women; Falel, Sumhaplen, Medtia, Obustarela, formed a party within the city of Memnon, whichs' streets were filled with burning pyres, inside the house of two, Alcernamus and Obustarela, and formed a plan to leave through the underground tunnels. Dreachus had earlier insisted on keeping list of every item the party should be taking, which included a spear, a torch, two lanterns, flint & steel, a short bow & ten arrows, four loafs of bread, and two skins of water. Medtia and Sumhaplen arrived first, Medtia bringing with her the bread which she baked, and Sumhaplen bringing the lanterns which she made, and then Dreachus and Falel, Dreachus bringing the spear, and Falel bringing the bow and arrows, then last, Redrog and Urost arrived, of which Redrog brought the flint, steel & torch, and Urost brought the skins with water, and an axe.

Redrog adressed Alcernamus once they had all arrived, "I have explored the tunnel some way, but I did not see the end you spoke about." Alcernamus replied that, "My family has long kept within it the secret of the tunnel paths. I am confident without a doubt that this map represents the truth, and that any one of specifically some of these tunnels can lead us outside of the jutting mountains, although the journey may take some time." and Obustarela commented, "One and a half days journey, nearly. It's calculated. Unless there's error."

Urost motioned his axe towards Dreachus, "One thing you forgot man. This should help us survive on the other side." Dreachus shook his head, "You fail to understand young man, the world outside is much different than it is in here." Urost mentioned, "Better to be safe, isn't it? You haven't forgotten about common sense, have you?" Dreachus rebutted, "I did not mean it like that, but I think you will understand when you see what is on the other side."

Medtia spoke up, "How does he know what's on the other side? Alcernamus, Obustarela?" Alcernamus responded, "These are simply assumptions he makes. He assumes them based on stories he's heard from his late father. He was the oldest man here for a great long time. Some aristocrats claim that there used to be a story about how our people got here, and what life remained on the other side."


"Wait, I am in pain!" Dreachus asked aloud the dark candle-lit way of an underground passage, toward his fellows ahead. Redrog returned from the shadow between him and Alcernamus who held the first lantern at the end of the line. Redrog examined the man and Dreachus motioned to help be set down. Redrog grabbed him, and Dreachus let his weight fall gradually to the floor. Dreachus looked up into Redrog's eyes, and harrowed wordlessly, hands on his belly; Redrog asked him, "Your stomach, does it shrink?" , the old man blinked both eyes simultaneously then answered yes.

"Alcernamus, hold the light for a moment." Redrog said; Alcernamus already was, some distance away. Then Alcernamus spoke, "The end is briefly ahead." Dreachus yelped out, "Escape from Memnon!" a brief chuckle could be heard from Alcernamus projecting towards the rest of the group ahead.
© Copyright 2014 Cyber Deck (compelling at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2013672-The-Believers-in-Fate