*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2023269-Memento-of-a-blind-Dwarf
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Fantasy · #2023269
Funny, Dragons, Dwarves, and a bit of a writing shift.
Memento of a Blind Dwarf



All stories begin the same, long ago in a place you have never heard about, something happened that changed a world forever. Well this tale is not much different but I assure you that the lessons you learn will be things that your life can relate to, no matter your creed. About yesterday a great battle against a mighty dragon was held atop the mountain of Fish. Now Fish is a strange name for a mountain but the dwarves who live there have little else to call it since the last flood froze millions of fish in the ice cap. The old dragon that lived there is the foul kind of beast, one of three brothers. The beast was known as Zerp, for no one wanted to dignify him with a name that described his invasive stature. You see dragons either follow the path of darkness or light, a dragon comes to a point in their lives when they choose the wake of the serpent or the call of the heavens. I need not tell you that few dragons have every followed the call of heaven and become dracolites, dragons purged of their brute force and endowed with peace of mind and will. But Zerp was different, Zerp was an especially evil serpent, he loved to take the form of men and women and seduce the unwitting so that he may devour them. The beast devoured over 100 people form a city-state, by impersonating all manner of people and devouring them. Only when the dracolite Tinith found him and rebuked him did the beast flee to mount Fish. Now why is the banishing of such a monster a bad thing, well mount Fish is my home and I did not much like having a flamboyant fiend drop onto my doorstep in the middle of the night. The old wyrm took the form of fetching young lass, and here is where the story gets funny. To change the pace the rest of the story will be told in a perspective most present, as to identify the past.

Anyways, I am Gunther and I live with my brother Louie on mount Fish, said the narrator with a huff. Anyways so Louie opened the door and saw a fetching young lady, for Gunther was blind, and could not help but stare. Gunther being an old fighter of the foul things smelled the whiff of dragons and punted the old Zerp right off the ledge of his step. We don't want none, said Gunther with a snarl. Get your spear brother that bee a she wench, she need to be slain,â barked the blind one. Louie was a doorstop of a lad one must understand, not a lick of sense just compact stupid. Not all of the young Louie was bad though, his heart shone like the sun and his acceptance of saint and sinner were a boon to those who met him. Louie did not believe the old Zerp to be a dragon so he went to where the woman had fallen and bade her return with him. But old Zerp saw an opportunity and began to seduce, in hopes of a quick meal before flying away. Gunther on the other hand was a smart old bag of barley and chucked a mighty strong keg of grog upon the woman. The fiend snarled and began to change into his draconic from with the distracting deluge of filthy human drink on him. Now some might say a dwarf would never waste beer, but friend one would argue that a man is not wise to drink what can polish his boots. Old Zerp did drop unconscious they thought, a clever trick, or a snicker to deliver the weary deeper. Gunther yelled out that Louie is deceived, but the brother below seemed not relieved. The youngâs tongue lashed out in dismay for the act of salvation displayed. Zerp was awake, Gunther knew full well. For a dragon not to play with his food is like cold beer in hell. Now an axe in the face is a fine place to start, but one does not simply cleave a dragon apart. The blind one could hear even the presence of fear, but not when the cold winds drew near. Soon the frost wind did shield the veil of sight in the warrior, and his quarry did have quite a pause to enjoy. Louie apologized to a sleeping woman over and over again, but what need be known is what happened at the end. Ole Zerp awoke on the balcony on the inside of the house, where the young dwarf bottomed out. Out far did the road to the other mountains stretch but there the cradle of stone the wind did quench. Gunther arose in horror when he heard the vile Zerpâs voice, caressing his brother without much choice. Louie believed and started to say but old Gunther had better things to say. A blind punch a swift kick, all of which struck rocks and sticks. Zerp did his best to belittle the dwarf but one cannot use the fires of lust to light the blind to the dust. Though words are sweet, honey is sweeter and the smell of a rotted egg is foul the betrayal of the heart is more near the reaper. The dark dragon could spin words of silk, but his scent was his dismay. The evil old wyrm became a fiend quickly to take over the home, and devour the brothers that lived in the stone. Gunther ran quickly to where kept him his sword, while Louie did quiver in fear of the sort. The dragon reared up a full head above the mountain, the cold wind caressing the top of his head. Yet when one is blind they do not care fore a sins size, they will not be afraid of what cannot be painted with eyes. And while sin is a terrible thing, not being able to see what brings folly or fear can be a blessing. The ancient blade of the first age fell into the hands of Gunther who ran to the call, for only the dragons sound could be heard anymore. The old dwarf ran and stood very still knowing his foe would take the bait. Zerp was no fool, but was still a glutton for dwarf and dove his head down as a foolish old dolt. Gunther swung up with a mighty jolt, but as a blind dwarf he missed horribly. Louie was devoured and called out for aid, and Gunther could hear the sound his brother made. An evil noise the destruction of a family member, but even darker when death be at the jaws of a hunter. Though the divine has a way of aiding the weak and at that moment a thought jumped to the old dwarf. A heartbeat like a drum caught the warriorâs ears and he knew that a dragon was near. Gunther lunged forward and drove his sword at an angle. The blade slipped between scales and began to creek, though the steel of the first era was a stronger then dragons tooth. Soon the dwarves weight cut the dragon from neck to gullet and out dropped Louie onto a ledge with a firm hit. Gunther reviled the beast and fell into the shadows, but was met with the joy of the death throughs and bellows. You see one does not attack evil expecting to live; one attacks evil expecting to help others live threw evils attack. Well that be the entire tale one needs to know, the rest is about journeys, heartache and snow. âSo be well in thine days o whimsy listener, and I do so hope you will return this story to mind when you remember youâre a sinner. Overcome young one, overcome,â spoke the journal of Gunther.



© Copyright 2014 Penblade (thepuffin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2023269-Memento-of-a-blind-Dwarf