*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2026656-Homeless-PART-1
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #2026656
It is for everyone all ages, but it's tragic. It's ASR because of the brutality of life.
Homeless


         A canteen of water, a box of donuts, a blanket, and a flashlight are all I have as I steal away into the night. The orange glow slowly diminishes under the moonless sky. After leaping over the gates of our estate, I look back at the remains of my childhood.

         "Hey mom!" I yell while stomping up the stairs. It's 10:00 PM and isn't a night owl. Mother drags herself out of her room to attend to my petty questions, but her face is far from tired.
         "Sweetheart, what now?"
         "I can't sleep, again."
         "Pack for school tomorrow." She says quickly.
         "There is none." I reply uneasily.
         She hesitates before saying, "We are going camping tomorrow. Pack food, water, light, and whatever." I turn around to do exactly what she has asked. "Remember, stay in the kitchen!"
         I make a quick stop to my room to grab my favorite purple blanket. Mom didn't look nor sound right during that conversation. Something I do not know of it taking place.
         The moment I cross the kitchen threshold, fire erupts upstairs, followed by a shrill cry. The roof of the living room collapses with the room of my parents. They couldn't have survived that, they couldn't have. In a matters of seconds, the kitchen walls are surrounded by flames. I stuff my track bag with necessities and make a beeline for the window. 3...2...1... I scream. I scream the loudest I ever had in my life. Shards of glass spear me in the thighs an biceps. I sprint. I sprint the fastest I ever had in my life. The flames take an express through the grass and the gap between us quickly shortens.
         When the fence divides me and death, I find the courage to look back. One spark took everything from me.
© Copyright 2015 Angelblade (angelblade at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2026656-Homeless-PART-1