*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2030586-Lesson-6-Punctuation-Inc
Rated: 13+ · Other · Educational · #2030586
Lesson 6 Punctuation,Inc. Final week


*Vignette1* It's hard to believe we have already reached the last lesson in our series on punctuation marks. I know it's tempting to rush through this last lesson, but please don't. I could not bring myself to make this last lesson a no-brainer. I packed so much into six lessons, and there just wasn't room for any artificial ingredients. You deserve better than that.

Parentheses, Brackets, and Braces

*Magnify* These very distinct punctuation marks are not at all interchangeable. You are sure to find them called by many other names, but in America the official name for each of them is listed below.

DEFINITION #1 Parentheses is plural and refers to a pair of parenthesis marks.
( ) ===> parentheses
*CarG* pah-ren-the-seez *CarG*

[ ] ===> brackets
===> braces

[Grassy Page Divider [#1886312] Grassy Page Divider] [Grassy Page Divider [#1886312] Grassy Page Divider]

Parentheses

*InfoB* Of these three punctuation marks, you will only use the parenthesis marks in creative writing. It's nice to know the proper names of each, though.

RULE #1 Use parentheses to include text that you want to de-emphasize or that wouldn't normally fit into the flow of your sentence. You want the reader to have this information, but it doesn't fit in the sentence very well. Often, we use commas for this same purpose (to set off parenthetical or nonessential information).

DEFINITION #2 The term nonessential element refers to a word or phrase which provides information that is interesting and relevant but not essential to the basic meaning of the sentence.
This information could be left out without changing the meaning of the sentence, and is considered nonessential. That does not mean the information is not essential to the reader. Quite the opposite, the use of parenthesis marks is a great tool to give your reader some piece of information they'll need later on or to fill in a bit of background that adds to your plot.

*BulletG* Bear Bryant (who got his nickname from wrestling a bear!) was, without a doubt, the most adored football coach in the history of the University of Alabama.

*FlagR* This sentence provides us with two examples of nonessential elements. First, read the pared down sentence below.

*BulletG* Bear Bryant was the most adored football coach in the history of the University of Alabama.

*FlagP* This is the core sentence that has the essential elements for the sentence to make sense and to carry the writer's message to the reader. The sentence still makes sense, and the message is the same even without the colored nonessential elements.

*FlagV* Therefore, the two elements we left out are not essential to the sentence. However, the information in the parenthetical phrases might be very important to the person reading about Bear Bryant.

*BulletG* Bear Bryant (who got his nickname from wrestling a bear!) was, without a doubt, the most adored football coach in the history of the University of Alabama.

*FlagB* One of the nonessential elements was set off by parenthesis marks. Could we have included the exclamation mark if we had used commas instead of parentheses? No. That's one advantage of using parenthesis marks.

*BulletG* Bear Bryant (who got his nickname from wrestling a bear!) was, without a doubt, the most adored football coach in the history of the University of Alabama.

*FlagR* By the same token, are parentheses really needed in the second nonessential element? Commas seem to work nicely there. One way to think of it is that parenthesis marks are a little stronger than commas. And just like other stronger punctuation marks, they should be used sparingly.

*Right* If commas will do the job, use them. *Left*
*Right* Save the parentheses for those places where commas just aren't enough. *Left*


RULE #2 In most writing, overuse of parentheses is usually a sign of a badly structured sentence. As with all good things, a caution is attached. If you find yourself frequently enclosing words and phrases in parentheses, you may want to look for more creative ways to structure your sentences.

*Pointright* Choosing the right punctuation mark is as important as choosing the right word. *Pointleft*

====> Parentheses are used when commas aren't enough.

*Box* Her final rehearsal of the song (just under the three-minute limit) was flawless.
*Boxcheck* Her final rehearsal of the song, just under the three-minute limit, was flawless.
Either of these would be grammatically correct. I prefer the commas because they work. As long as commas do what we want them to do, we should use them. However, you may choose the parentheses in this example. It's a close call in many cases. Other examples will show that commas are inadequate and must be replaced by em dashes or parentheses. You will see some of these as you study the rest of this lesson.

====> Parentheses are used when there are already commas in the sentence, and adding more commas would be confusing.

*Box* The White River Carnival, established in Batesville, Arkansas, over ten years ago, is quite popular.
*FlagR* All those commas could confuse the reader.
*Boxcheck* The White River Carnival (established in Batesville, Arkansas, over ten years ago) is quite popular.

====> Sometimes, it's more effective to look for a better way to write the sentence.

*Box* The due date of your monthly payment (once your loan is approved) can be set up on a date convenient for you.
*Boxcheck* Once your loan is approved, you can select a convenient due date.

*Right* Say more with fewer—but better and stronger—words. *Left*


RULE #3a Parentheses can enclose a complete sentence within a sentence.

*CarP* The ongoing disagreement between the brothers (their heated arguments were well publicized) destroyed any possibility of proceeding with the project.
*CarB* The ongoing disagreement between the brothers destroyed any possibility of proceeding with the project.
*CarG* Their heated arguments were well documented.

*Bell* "Someone call Princess Punctuation! Ms. Pat forgot to use a capital letter and a period in this sentence!"
"Settle down there, Bob. I'm about to explain that. There's no need to disturb the princess during her nap."

RULE #3b If the parentheses are within a sentence, do not capitalize the first letter inside the opening parenthesis mark UNLESS it is a proper noun.

RULE #3c If the parentheses are within a sentence, do not use a period to punctuate the enclosed text, even if the enclosed text is a complete sentence.

*BulletG* Apparently, I resembled Lula (someone from his past), and he wanted me to wear my hair in a ponytail.
*BulletG* He told me I reminded him of Lula (he never explained who she was) and asked me if I would consider wearing my hair in a ponytail.

RULE #3d A question mark or exclamation mark, however, might be appropriate and necessary.

*BulletB* He said I reminded him of Lula (who was she?) and asked me to wear my hair in a ponytail.
*BulletB* He mentioned something about Lula and suggested I pull my hair up into a ponytail (spooky!).

RULE #4 If the parenthetical material (nonessential element) is written outside of the main sentence, as a sentence itself, then the enclosed text should be punctuated as you would normally punctuate it, and it should begin with a capital letter as usual.

*BulletR* He denied calling me Lula and then asked me to wear my hair in a ponytail. (I lost my appetite and caught a cab home.)

RULE #5a Only complete sentences should be enclosed in parentheses outside the main sentence.
RULE #5b Sentence fragments, when needed, must stay within the boundaries of the main sentence.

*XR* The church bell continued to ring out. (deafening!) *XR*
*FlagR* The material enclosed in parentheses is a sentence fragment, yet it is written outside the main sentence.
*FlagR* Repair one of two ways: move the parenthetical material inside the sentence, or make the sentence fragment into a complete sentence.

*Boxcheck* The church bell (deafening!) continued to ring out.
*Boxcheck* The church bell continued to ring out. (The noise was deafening!)

[Grassy Page Divider [#1886312] Grassy Page Divider] [Grassy Page Divider [#1886312] Grassy Page Divider]

Parentheses and Other Punctuation Marks


RULE #6 Neither a comma nor a semicolon should ever be placed before an opening parenthesis mark. If a comma or semicolon is needed, place it after the closing parenthesis mark.

*XR* Having entered, (on tiptoe) we sat down in the nearest seats we could find.
*Boxcheck* Having entered (on tiptoe), we sat down in the nearest seats we could find.

*XR* Family vacations are so much fun ; (at least I thought so) apparently, teenagers don't like family vacations.
*Boxcheck* Family vacations are so much fun (at least I thought so); apparently, teenagers don't like family vacations.

This is one of those ALWAYS rules.
Commas and semicolons always, no exceptions, every time, no matter what, go AFTER the closing parenthesis mark.


RULE #6X Well, there is this one little exception, but you won't use it often. When you write a list of items in an enumeration, as in the example below, the comma follows each item in the list, therefore making it necessary to put the comma before the opening parenthesis mark that encloses the number.

*BulletB* My list included (1) crayons, (2) spiral notebooks, (3) red pens, (4) black pens, and (5) an assignment notebook.

RULE #7a If numerals or letters are used to mark the divisions in a run-in list, enclose them in parentheses.
RULE #7b Parenthesis marks travel in pairs. NEVER use a single parenthesis mark.

*XR* Compose three sentences to illustrate similar uses of 1) commas, 2) em dashes, and 3) parentheses. *XR*
*CheckG* Compose three sentences to illustrate similar uses of (1) commas, (2) em dashes, and (3) parentheses.
*FlagR* Notice that the numerals are NOT italicized.

RULE #7c If letters are used, they are sometimes italicized. This is up to the writer. However, the parenthesis marks should never be italicized. As a rule, punctuation marks are not italicized unless they are part of a title. We learned this in "Lesson Four."

*BulletB* When dismissed from the hospital, Sandy was instructed to (a) drink clear fluids, (b) get plenty of rest, (c) take the prescribed medication, and (d) refrain from smoking.

*FlagB* Notice that the letters are italicized, but the parenthesis marks are NOT italicized.

RULE #7d When a list is introduced by a complete sentence, a colon should be used before the first parenthesis mark. We studied this rule in "Lesson Three" on colons.

*BulletV* Three grammar classes are offered at New Horizons Academy each term: (1) Comma Sense, (2) Punctuation Inc., and (3) Grammar Garden.
*FlagV* Notice that the numerals are NOT italicized.

*BulletG* You are advised to pack the following items: (a) warm, sturdy outer clothing and enough underwear to last ten days; (b) two pairs of boots, two pairs of sneakers, and plenty of socks; and (c) three durable paperback novels.
*FlagG* Notice that the letters are italicized, but the parenthesis marks are NOT italicized.

RULE #8 A question mark, exclamation mark, or closing quotation mark should only be placed inside a closing parenthesis mark if the punctuation mark belongs to the enclosed text. If the question mark, exclamation mark, or closing quotation mark belongs to the main sentence, it should be placed outside the parenthesis mark.

*BulletG* Come on in (quietly, please!) and take a seat.
*BulletR* They watched an old favorite (Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?), then argued again about whether Liz and Richard really loved each other.
*BulletB* How many times have I read the classic Sense and Sensibility (by Jane Austen)?
*BulletV* We learned that complete sentences always have a subject and a verb ("Lesson Three").

RULE #9a A period is placed inside the closing parenthesis mark if the entire sentence is in parentheses and is written as a separate sentence, not as part of another sentence.
RULE #9b If a complete sentence is enclosed in parentheses but is part of another sentence, the period should be placed outside the parentheses. (This rule is similar to Rule #3b.)

*BulletG* On display were the latest designs in the Liz Collection. (The greedy matron coveted them all.)
*BulletG* On display were the latest designs in the Liz Collection (all of which the greedy matron coveted).
*BulletG* The latest designs in the Liz Collection (the greedy matron coveted them all) were finally on display.
*FlagG* Notice in the third example, there is NO period inside the parentheses even though it is a complete sentence.

[Grassy Page Divider [#1886312] Grassy Page Divider] [Grassy Page Divider [#1886312] Grassy Page Divider]

The Em Dash


DEFINITION #3 The em dash [—], often simply called the dash, is a typographical line measuring the width of the letter m.
*FlagR* Produce an em dash [—] by holding the ALT key down and typing 0151 on your number pad.

*Right* Do NOT put a space before or after hyphens, en dashes, or em dashes. *Left*


RULE # 10 Em dashes are used to set off an element that expands on the information in the sentence or explains something about the information in the sentence.

*Bell* If that sounds familiar, it's because we talked about this kind of information, also known as parenthetical information, when we studied colons and parentheses.
*BulletB* There are simple alternatives to the stigmatized plastic shopping bag—reusable cloth bags and foldable carts.
*BulletR* The governor—he had been awake half the night—came down in an angry mood.
*BulletG* She outlined her strategy—a strategy that she hoped would secure her promotion.

RULE #11 As a rule, parentheses tend to de-emphasize text whereas dashes tend to make material seem even more important.

*BulletB* She is Deputy Chief Brenda Lee Johnson, but she has another name by reputation—The Closer.
*BulletB* Ms. Winnie's course teaches thirty rules, all about one punctuation mark—the comma.

RULE #12 An em dash is occasionally used to set off an introductory noun, or a series of nouns, from a pronoun that introduces the main clause.
*BulletB* Broken promises, petty jealousies, and lonely nights—these do not make a healthy marriage.
*BulletB* Darkness, thunder, a sudden scream—nothing alarmed the child.

RULE #13 An em dash or a pair of em dashes may replace parentheses, commas, or a colon-especially when an abrupt break in thought, sentence structure, or an interruption in dialogue is called for.
*BulletG* My friends—that is, my former friends—ganged up on me.

*BulletV* "Well, I don't know," McGhee began tentatively. "I thought I might—"
*BulletV* "Might what?" Ziva demanded. "You might—"
*BulletV* Gibbs announced the location of a dead marine, and all conversation stopped.

RULE #14 If the break belongs to the surrounding sentence rather than to the quoted material, the em dashes must appear outside the quotation marks.

*BulletR* "Someday he's going to hit one of those long shots, and"—his countenance fell and his voice softened—"I won't be there to see it."

RULE #15 If an em dash is used at the end of quoted material to indicate an interruption, the comma can be safely omitted before the words that identify the speaker.

*XR* "I assure you, we shall never,—" Sylvia began, but Mark cut her short.
*CheckG* "I assure you, we shall never—" Sylvia began, but Mark cut her short.

*Boxcheck* Below are some sentences in which the writer could use an em dash or some other punctuation mark. Writers often have choices when using stronger punctuation marks such as em dashes, colons, semicolons, and exclamation marks. Keep in mind that dashes should be used sparingly. They may need to bow to other punctuation marks unless they are truly merited.

*Box* I do the legwork—he gets all the credit.
*Box* I do the legwork; he gets all the credit.
*QuestionV* Which would you choose?

*Box* I left three important things on my desk—the legal document, the driving instructions, and the client's telephone number.
*Box* I left three important things on my desk: the legal document, the driving instructions, and the client's telephone number.
*CheckV* Colons and em dashes are both strong punctuation marks.
*CheckV* They are both used to introduce information the writer wants to emphasize.
*TulipV* Sometimes the writer uses visual effect to help determine which to use.
*Inlove* Isn't punctuation exciting?

Punctuation Review:
I left three important things on my desk: the legal document, the driving instructions, and the client's telephone number.

*QuestionR* In the sentence above, why would it be grammatically wrong to use a semicolon?
*Star* An independent clause must follow a semicolon.

*Box* Please contact my assistant—Gerald Buckley—about that file. *Halfstar*
*Box* Please contact my assistant, Gerald Buckley, about that file. *Star*
*Suitdiamond* Either version of the sentence above is grammatically correct. In this case, however, only one of them is truly the better choice. Good punctuation is more than just learning rules—it's about making the best choices. Out of context, we have no reason to believe that the name Gerald Buckley should be emphasized.
*CheckV* Therefore, the best choice for this sentence would be commas.

*Boxcheck* Would you mind calling extension 2583—oh, never mind.
*CheckV* This shows an abrupt change in thought and warrants an em dash.

Do not use dashes to set apart material when commas would do the work for you.


[Large Pink Bow [#1876378] Large Pink Bow] [Large Pink Bow [#1876378] Large Pink Bow]

Hyphens

*Suitdiamond* Hyphens and the various dashes all have their specific appearance and uses. Though many readers may not notice the difference—especially between an en dash and a hyphen—correct use of the different types is a sign of editorial precision and care.

*CarB* - Use the hyphen key on your keyboard for the hyphen - .
*CarP* – Press ALT and type 0150 (on your number keypad) for an en dash – (the width of the letter n).
*CarV* — Press ALT and type 0151 (on your number keypad for an em dash — (the width of the letter m).

For Mac users try this:
en dash
Option + -

em dash
Shift + Option + -

RULE #16 Do NOT put a space before or after hyphens, en dashes, or em dashes.
*BulletG* Suzy made all As on her report card—a pleasant surprise for her parents.

RULE #17a A hyphen is used to separate numbers that are not inclusive, such as telephone numbers and social security numbers. Noninclusive means that the numbers aren't a series of numbers like 24 through 80. We will learn more about inclusive numbers in the en dash section.

*BulletB* 1-800-621-2376 or (1-800) 621-2376
*BulletB* 0-226-10389-7

RULE #17b A hyphen is used to separate letters when a word is spelled out letter by letter, in dialogue, in reference to American Sign Language, and elsewhere.

*BulletB* "My name is Phyllis; that's P-h-y-l-l-i-s."
*BulletB* A proficient signer can fingerspell C-o-l-o-r-a-d-o in less than two seconds.

[Large Pink Bow [#1876378] Large Pink Bow] [Large Pink Bow [#1876378] Large Pink Bow]

Compound words

*InfoR* The most common spelling questions for writers and editors have to do with compound terms—whether to spell them as two words, hyphenate them, or close them up as a single word. Prefixes (and occasionally suffixes) can be troublesome also. The first place to look for answers is the dictionary. However, there are some rules and guidelines that should help you make those choices.

DEFINITION #4a An open compound is spelled as two or more words.

*BulletR* student nurse, three hundred, five hundred fifty, corporate executive
*BulletR* copy editor, web page, highly paid, security guard, safe house, high school


DEFINITION #4b A hyphenated compound is spelled with one or more hyphens.

*BulletR* twenty-eight, non-English-speaking, two-thirds, self-control, toll-free, ex-marine
*BulletR* prophet-king, nurse-practitioner, city-state, e-book, accident-free, self-respect
*BulletR* great-grandmother, e-mail, on-screen, ex-wife, father-in-law, self-explanatory

DEFINITION #4c A closed (or solid) compound is spelled as a single word.

*BulletR* ongoing, birthrate, notebook, tablecloth, online, bookkeeping, rooftop, halfway
*BulletR* caregiver, shipbuilder, toothache, grandfather, laptop, halfhearted, courthouse

DEFINITION #4d Not strictly compounds but often discussed with them are words formed with prefixes.

RULE #18 Hyphenate words with prefixes only when the hyphen is needed for pronunciation or readability. Use hyphens when it makes the words more readable and easier to pronounce.

*BulletR* antibiotic, postmodern, antediluvian, intramural, prehistoric, malnourished, antidepressant
*BulletR* anti-inflammatory (to separate the two i's), post-traumatic (to separate the two t's)
*BulletR* co-worker (Do you really want to picture a cow worker?)

*BulletB* This vase is a re-creation of the priceless antique on display in the museum.
*BulletB* What do you folks do around here for recreation?

*BulletB* The homeowners' co-op held their quarterly meeting last night.
*BulletB* The chickens were safely locked in their coops for the night.

RULE #19a Words beginning with the prefix self are always hyphenated.
RULE #19b Words with self and a suffix at the end or when combined with a pronoun are not hyphenated.

*BulletR* self-esteem, self-made, self-taught, self-restraint, self-conscious, self-control

BUT
*Down* *Down*
*BulletR* selfish, selfless
*BulletR* myself, yourself, herself, himself

RULE #20 A hyphen can make for easier reading by showing structure and, often, pronunciation. Words that might otherwise be misread should be hyphenated.

*InfoR* With frequent use, open or hyphenated compounds tend to become closed.
*BulletR* on line to on-line to online

*Star* *Star* For a bonus point or two, find a word that started out as two words (open compound) or as a hyphenated word and changed, over time, into a closed compound. You will need to provide the source of your information. I bet Google could help you out.

[Large Pink Bow [#1876378] Large Pink Bow] [Large Pink Bow [#1876378] Large Pink Bow]

DEFINITION #5a A modifier is a word that describes or modifies the noun in some way. [a man, a tall man] Tall changes man; it modifies and describes a more specific man.

DEFINITION #5b A compound modifier is simply a modifier made up of more than one word.

[a woman, a hard-working woman] Again, hard-working helps us see a more specific woman.

RULE #21a When compound modifiers come before the noun they modify, a hyphen is usually needed.
RULE #21b When compound modifiers come after the noun they modify, hyphens are usually unnecessary.
*Reading* I am such a nerd! I love these two rules. They're *Cool*!

*BulletV* The reddish-brown mud was all over my new shoes.
*BulletV* The mud on my new shoes was reddish brown.

*BulletV* I took a quick quarter-mile run before dinner.
*BulletV* My run today was only a quarter mile.

*BulletV* She wept as bitter-sweet memories of last Christmas flooded her mind.
*BulletV* Her memories of last year's Christmas were bitter sweet.

*BulletV* The agent had an up-to-date list of available houses.
*BulletV* The real estate list was up to date, including the most recently added listings.

Here's a great link for more help with hyphenation:
http://www.dailywritingtips.com/how-to-test-for-hyphenation-in-phrasal-adjective...

RULE #22 Compound words beginning with an adverb ending in -ly are open whether they come before the noun or after. (Open compounds are not hyphenated.)
Do not use a hyphen after a modifier that ends in ly.

An adverb is another kind of modifier. For this lesson on hyphens, we are only interested in adverbs that end in ly.
*BulletR* highly, quickly, sweetly, aptly, overly, softly, carefully, swiftly, barely, dimly, tastefully, closely

*BulletB* The highly paid accountant kept the company books meticulously accurate.
*BulletB* The mildly amusing tale was told to an audience of twelve children, strikingly bored.

RULE #23 Numbers one through ninety-nine are hyphenated. The others are open (no hyphen between the two words).

*BulletG* There are over sixty-five DVDs in Sue's collection.
*FlagG* Sixty-five is less than one hundred, so it is hyphenated.

*BulletG* I counted one hundred forty-five separate varieties of flowers in Maggie's garden.
*FlagG* One hundred is NOT hyphenated; however, forty-five is less than one hundred, so it is hyphenated.

*BulletG* Aunt Martha turned one hundred four yesterday.
*FlagG* One hundred is NOT hyphenated; four is NOT hyphenated because it is not part of a compound word.

*Vignette2* The rules above will help you choose to hyphenate or not. However, whenever you are in doubt, use a good dictionary. No writer should be without one. Since The Chicago Manual of Style uses the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary, I added the link to The Merriam-Webster Dictionary online site below.

http://www.merriam-webster.com

*Cool* *Cool* I recently downloaded The Merriam-Webster Dictionary Application to my iPhone. *Cool* *Cool*

The En Dash

DEFINITION #6a The principal use of the en dash is to connect numbers.
*FlagG* Produce an en dash [–] by holding the ALT key down and typing 0150 on your number pad.

DEFINITION #36 With continuing numbers—such as dates, times, and page numbers—the en dash signifies up to and including (or through).

*BulletG* Suzy read pages 20–25 for homework.
*BulletG* Suzy read pages 20 through 25 for homework.

DEFINITION #6c The en dash can be a symbol for the word to or and.

*BulletB* For a short time (1982–1988), I lived in a suburb of Atlanta, Georgia, where I taught first graders.
*BulletB* I spent the years 1978–1980, earning my Master's Degree in Elementary Education while teaching Kindergarten in my small hometown.

*InfoR* In each of the examples below, the en dash represents the word to.
*BulletR* The London–Paris train leaves at two o'clock.
*BulletR* On November 20, 1966, Rose Bay defeated Chicago, 13–6.
*BulletR* The legislature voted 101–13 to adopt the resolution.

RULE #24a When you use the word from in writing continuing numbers—such as dates, times, and page numbers—follow through by using the word to.
*FlagB* *BurstB* Do not use an en dash after you have used the word from.

*XR* She was in college from 1998–2002.
*CheckG* She was in college from 1998 to 2002.

*XR* The Joneses lived on the fertile farm from January 1, 1898–December 31, 1903.
*CheckG* The Joneses lived on the fertile farm from January 1, 1898, through December 31, 1903.

RULE #24b Similarly, if you use the word between in writing continuing numbers—such as dates, times, and page numbers—follow through by using the word and.
*FlagB* *BurstB* Do not use an en dash after you have used the word between.

*FlagB* *BurstB* Do not use an en dash after you have used the word between.

*XR* The years between 1993–2000 were heady ones for the computer literate.
*CheckG* The years between 1993 and 2000 were heady ones for the computer literate.

RULE #24c Inclusive spelled-out numbers should be joined by to, not by an en dash.

*BulletB* The study included women forty-five to forty-nine years of age.
*FlagG* Forty-five–forty-nine is confusing and difficult to decipher.
*Flagr* Remember to copy the Rules and Definitions for Lesson Seven into your own static item titled "Rules and Definitions."
This static item will be included as part of final grade.

"Rules & Definitions for Punctuation Inc."


1. Post the b-item link into "The Punctuation Inc. Classroom" .
2. Be sure to title your post Lesson 6 Exercise so I can easily find it. Smile

*Stop* Please do not use the color red in your assignments. *Stop*
*Pen* I prefer to reserve that color for my corrections and comments. *Pen*


[Princess in Pink Letters [#1876374] Princess in Pink Letters] [Princess in Pink Letters [#1876374] Princess in Pink Letters]

*Crown* Princess Punctuation reminds you to *Crown*
*Right* Set your Access Restrictions to Punctuation Inc. Group . *Left*
You'll have a safe, comfortable place to practice your punctuation rules.
Only classmates can see your work, and
we have strict rules about showing kindness.


*InfoR* Please ask questions if you need help. I won't give you answers, but I'll clarify and point you in the right direction.
*Exclaim* The examples in the lesson clearly show that there should be NO space before or after em dashes.

Lesson Six Exercise


*Flagv* REMINDER: I have not asked you to cut and paste rules for any of the items on the exercise. That does NOT mean you shouldn't look for the rules that apply to the sentences

*Flagg* Take your time to review the rules as you complete the assignments. That's the real purpose of the exercises.
*Right* Since this exercise counts as 100% of your weekly grade this week,
I encourage you to take your time with it.
There will be no points for Forum Activity, Interaction,
Challenge, or Bonus Points
(other than the one hidden bonus question).
It's all about this exercise! *Left*


Part A
Choose whether to use em dashes or parentheses in the following sentences. Do not leave the brackets in the sentences.

1. The eager students rushed to the Registration Desk [Punctuation Inc. was closed!]
2. Professor Davenport [also known as the nutty professor] forgot to go to class.
3. Penny walked Susie to school Friday morning [this was their usual routine] and then jogged back home.
4. "I turned to wave goodbye [how could this have happened]?"
5. After reading the assigned book [Westward, Ho!,] Harley was eager to write his report [this was a rare occasion].
(This sentence has a title in it for you to punctuate as well.) (This is a tricky sentence. Think carefully before writing the correction.)

Part B
Punctuate the following sentences correctly.
Remember there are specific rules to tell when to use lowercase or capital letters inside parentheses.
There are rules about periods and commas and other punctuation marks too.
Don't forget how tricky the Princess can be. She made some things correct to fool you.
*Flagr* There may be more than one thing to correct in each sentence.

1. Bob stayed out of sight (He heard Kristina's voice.) while Alex readied the water balloon.

2. Lost Ghost tried to warn Kristina but couldn't reach her in time. (secretly, she knew she would enjoy it)

3. Neva called out to Bob (who was standing next to Alex.) and startled him. (he dropped the balloon on his own feet)!

4. The whole class laughed, (Who wouldn't) but Alex laughed the most.

5. Becca heard Ms. Pat's footsteps and warned the class to calm down. (in a serious tone!)

6. Joel (Who was trying to do his assignment) was glad that Ms. Pat was finally back. (he thought Ms. Pat will take care of these rowdy folks)!

7. Ms. Winnie and George (Who had watched the whole thing in silence.) giggled as Ms. Pat entered the classroom. (why did they have to giggle now)

8. Ms. Pat slipped in the water, but Alex came to the rescue and caught her. (Right after she grabbed Kristina and pulled her down.)

9. Ms. Winnie and George wrote notes to each other (they were betting on what the punishment would be)

10. Joel and Lost Ghost weren't afraid of Ms. Pat (princess punctuation was another story.) and eagerly raised their hands to volunteer information.

Part C
Write T for True beside the statement that is True.

1. A nonessential element is not important to the reader.
2. A nonessential element does not change the meaning of the sentence if it is left out of the sentence.

1. When a list is introduced by a colon, be sure to use a capital letter after the colon and a period at the end.
2. When a list is introduced by a complete sentence, a colon should be used before the first parenthesis mark.

1. Em dashes are used to set off an element that tells more or explains something about the information in the sentence.
2. Em dashes are usually used when the writer does not want to emphasize the nonessential element.

1. When sentence fragments are surrounded by parentheses, they do no need capital letters or punctuation marks.
2. Sentence fragments, when needed, must stay within the boundaries of the main sentence.

1. As a rule, parentheses tend to de-emphasize text whereas dashes tend to make material seem even more important.
2. As a rule, a parenthetical statement is always surrounded by parentheses.


Part D
Fill in the blanks. Underline the words that go in the blanks.
1. Do NOT put a _______ before or after ______, en _______, or ___ dashes.

Part E
In the items below, decide whether a hyphen is needed or an en dash. Insert a hyphen or en dash as needed; then, paste the rule or definition on which you based your decision .

1. My telephone number is 555 346 2907.

2. Please write numbers 1 100 neatly on your papers, class.

3. Your confirmation number is 23521 45221 125092.

4. My aunt, who is deaf, can spell words like U B I Q U I T O U S in a flash.

5. During the years 1972 1976, I earned my Bachelor's degree in Elementary Education.

Part F
Fill in the blanks correctly. Be sure to underline the words that go in the blanks.

1. When compound _______ come ______ the noun they modify, a hyphen is usually needed.

2. Numbers one through ________ are hyphenated. The others are _______ (no hyphen between the two words).

3. Compound words beginning with an adverb ending in _____ are open whether they come _______ the noun or ______.

4. When compound _______come after the noun they modify, _______ are usually unnecessary.

5. Words beginning with the prefix _____ are always _______.

Part G
Decide which words need hyphenating and which do not. Add hyphens where needed. I did not intentionally write tricky sentences. I chose those words which have clearly defined rules.

1. The well fed puppy had a shiny coat, showing that he was well groomed.

2. The bluish rose mixture began to boil in the heavily coated pot.

3. Her decidedly late blind date apologized for his car's ever thirsty gas tank.

4. The anti inflammatory drug and the anti biotics had Joan feeling better by the next day.

5. Our ever changing language is partially shaped by technology that is ever expanding.

6. The Community Re creation Center had a wonderful display of artwork, exquisite re creations from various artists.

For sentences 7-8, correct what Princess Punctuation wrote, using your knowledge about en dashes.

7. From 1982–1988, I lived in Atlanta, Georgia.

8. The total amount raised was between $50,000–$80,000.

Part H
Correctly write these numbers spelled out.

1. 154

2. 205

3. 96

4. 327

Part I
Some of these words are spelled correctly, but most of them are wrong. Spell each word correctly. Look for the words in the lesson examples or look them up in Merriam-Webster's Online dictionary.
http://www.merriam-webster.com


1. on line

2. self seeking

3. self less

4. ex marine

5. tooth ache

6. post traumatic

7. check book

8. two thirds

Punctuation Inc. Final Exam

Please begin this right away so that you will have sufficient time to complete it before the deadline. Normally, I'm not as picky about the deadline, but I will have deadlines as well.

1. Post the b-item links into "The Punctuation Inc. Classroom" .
2. Be sure to title your post "Final Exam." Smile

*Suitdiamond* The first part of your exam is the completed list of rules for Lessons One through Six. They should be colored and neatly presented. If you have used my copy all along, that shouldn't be a problem. Please post the link at the same time you post the writing assignment for the Final Exam.

*Suitdiamond* Write a piece of prose between 500 and 750 words. Writing less than the minimum or more than the maximum will lower your score. You may write about anything you want as long as it does not exceed the rating of 18+. Really show me what you have learned this term by using good punctuation, grammar, and style. Have fun with this. It can be truth or fiction, serious or funny. It's your time to make the choices. Be sure to give your story a good title. Use strong verbs and nouns to show me rather than tell me about the characters and scenes. Adjectives are to be used in moderation as needed. If they're needed, make them good ones! Adverbs should be used in even more moderation. If your verbs are strong enough, fewer adverbs will be needed. [ran quicky or raced? streaked? zoomed? Do you get the idea?] I look forward to learning more about you through your writing. I would like for this to be turned in by Thursday night. However, I can extend this deadline a few days if necessary. Smile I will have deadlines too, but I think we can work something out.

*Delight* *Delight* *Delight* It's been a true delight watching you grow in your writing expertise. I will miss you. You are always welcome to take the course again if you ever need a refresher course or just miss me. *Delight* *Delight* *Delight*

[Read and Write Bears Divider [#1876566] Read and Write Bears Divider by Leger] [Read and Write Bears Divider [#1876566] Read and Write Bears Divider by Leger]

As an added bonus for successfully completing this course, you all will be enrolled in New Horizon's Grammar and Punctuation Alumni Group upon completion of all assignments.

I've taught you all I can for now. Please take a moment to teach me some things. Your honest feedback will help me make Punctuation Inc. more effective and helpful to future students. Thanks! Smile
ID: 1846680 (E)
Punctuation Inc. End of Term Survey
Student feedback about lessons, assinments, and forum interaction
by
(690)


Ms. Katz has a survey for you to complete as well. It will only take a moment.

SURVEY
ID: 1531100 (13+)
End of Term Student Assessment Survey
New Horizons Academy End of Term Assessment From Our Students
by
(95)

© Copyright 2015 Whiskerfacebythefireplace (whiskerface at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2030586-Lesson-6-Punctuation-Inc