*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2033460-Soverign-PT-3
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Dax
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2033460
The search for Karena comes to a head as three galactic powers vie to find her first

CH 8

The control deck of the Taurus was hustling with activity. It was actually pretty rare when all the stations were manned, but now it was standing room only as messengers darted to and fro, and ops officers crowded around expansion ports to try to get information to and from whomever needed it.
Dietrich, now the coordinator of a planet wide battle, that really had no goals, looked thoughtfully at the VMD of the planet and forces. With no real objective it was tough enough to tell who was winning, but with 3 forces vying for one person, no one knew what was going on.
“Do you know what is going on?” Yamoto remarked looking over Dietrich’s shoulder, “Perhaps you should reinforce FOB 23…”
“With respect sir, do you was to do this? Then step the fuck back.” He groaned, “Tango six, fall back to FOB 23.”
The modern art that was the battle refused to be quantified. No one on the bridge really knew what was going on, but, at least it seemed clear that their enemies didn’t either. Small miracles.
“Sir,” called one of the comms techs trying to make order from chaos, “Looks like our gilded shadows are here as well.”
"What!" Dietrich screamed, "The Hornai again? What the hell do they want from me!"
"Sir!" called the command deck comm officer, "Zipline, sir. The Turin are warning us to steer clear of the craters, something about toxic gas."
All he could do was shake his head, "Damn good thing all the fighting is in the old forest, then. Whomever is in comms with the FOBs, relay this new intel."
To a passing messenger he trusted he whispered, “Get to stellar geology and have Harrison surreptitiously deep scan any crater in range and encrypt the data for circle use only.”
With the messenger gone he mulled over the battle sim again. After a moment he opened a command channel to his ground leaders, "Delta company south by southwest, move to support Bravo, the Nuremar have changed to their demon form. Looks like they are the Ox demons."
The commander of the company acknowledged the order and the TacSim changed as they moved. Unfortunately for Dietrich he did not know if what he was seeing was good or not.
Then the communications officer called out a confirmed sighting of Karenna. Before she had even finished the report Dietrich was ordering all units to the grid location. The TacSim now showed hope, there was now order to this ordeal.
***
Though it was only a few moments since he left the safety of the great tree, for Elex, it might as well have been days. The jungle had never before been so hostile, but, at least he still felt the presence in the back of his mind that he was doing right. From nowhere, winged jackals jumped him, something the presence failed to warn him of. Though he felt kind of hurt, he still had to care for Karenna.
The presence did indicate to him that these enemies were much more agile than he. He somehow understood that, on a straight shot, he could beat them, but here in the forest with obstacles, their agility was unmatched. He had no option but to try to ward them off.
He used his wings to block and parry as best he could, but with the weight of the woman he was not doing well. He knew that at this rate he could not last. But, Galen had told him to protect Karenna, and so he would until he could no more.
Then, in a burst of sparks a 6 meter golden dragon exploded from the underbrush. Elex stopped short, the presence told him he could trust the dragon, but today things didn’t make sense. The jackal men turned their attention to the dragon and he ran like hell.
As if it had blinders, the dragon, without so much as a growl, attacked the jackal men. Lances of electricity from the horns flew out as it moved toward the nuremar, ignoring Elex and his bundle. Now, more than the last time he was hunted, Elex was tiring and fast.
As the sounds of battle grew distant Elex began to relax. The carnage was absolute. Bodies of various species littered the limbs of the trees and broken branches showed where others had fell to the below. Elex slowed, looking in awe at the spectacle the likes of which he had never before witnessed.
He felt their coming before he could determine what they were; more of his kind. These were of his clan, and also possessed superhuman speed. The presence informed him they were faster than he, and they could be trusted.
Then the oldest looking one spoke, "I am of the Mastari, the ancient rulers of this sphere. I offer welcome to our prodigal brother."
Elex was dumbfounded, "I am alone. All the others were sent to the beyond when the sky reined of fire."
The old one nodded, "Those masquerading as masters took most of the younglings and destroyed the world, after they took the elders to a prison world."
"How do you know I am a brother?"
"You are not nuremar, yet you are kelborne, and you are here..."
The conversation could not continue. Terin forces stormed the location. The others changed into something beyond the beast form and were futilely chased as they as they left, killing nuremar as they did so. Elex did not have time to react, and was subsequently gunned down faster than he thought possible.
***
With Karenna found, the battle proper was over. All that was left wad to get off the rock. As strategic withdrawal was disseminated down the ranks every search party and security escort fell back to the closest FOB.
"Echo leader to epsilon camp, request start cycle on dropship, we have Karenna, and a prisoner."
"A prisoner," Sareena sighed, "Why the hell do so many people want that bitch?"
After her meeting with her handler she had no other business and had thus returned to her drop ship. As the engines and turbines wound up she assisted with the breakdown of the crew served weapons mount.
Kobin shrugged, "It may be a simple misunderstanding, or we don't know the whole story behind the sides."
Kobin had also returned to echo base, but kept his eyes trained on the perimeter, occasionally popping off a few rounds, withdrawal was sometimes more dangerous and hap hazard than set up, especially if it was a fighting withdrawal like this.
The FOB commander called out orders, trying to keep the bugout orderly, but red forces refused to give up. Not for the first time, a lot of equipment would have to be left behind.
"Epsilon camp, Echo leader," the com crackled again, "Have a med tech standing by when we get there, something is wrong with Karenna.”
“Echo leader,” The FOB commander returned, “Can you be more specific?”
“Unfortunately, Sir, I can’t, but she may be…”
“Comms condition black!” Yamoto suddenly announced, “Maintain comms silence, pilots use flash protocol 6 for docking.”
Everyone suddenly paused, comms black was only used to prevent unauthorized transmission of sensitive information, but to extend that to docking maneuvers was just plain dangerous.
“Think Steve remembers flash protocol six?” Sareena asked over her shoulder as she closed there rail gun’s barrel.
“I sure as hell hope so” Kobin sighed sniping at something, “Didn’t plan on dying today.”
The fighting picked back up, but it was nothing they couldn't handle. Echo returned with Karenna and the prisoner, both almost on life support.
***
It had been too long since she had fully unleashed her inner dragon. She mercilessly killed all the nuremar she saw. It had taken a great deal of control not to attack the humans that tried to engage her, but now the battle was over, the humans were retreating, the nuremar were all dead, and she was heading toward where here clan originated.
The crater was vast, the pain of her world was palatable. The Tureen had destroyed all the clan homes they could find, at least they hadn’t destroyed the great tree, which would have been the greatest travesty.
She approached the bottom of the bombed out hole and took a deep breath. With a bellow of sympathy pain, she let loose a storm of sparks that soon enveloped her dragon form and began the transformation back to normal. The storm of sparks shrank as her body changed and soon faded as Khana returned to her natural form. She had decided to change well away from the fighting to avoid the humans noticing there was more to her than meets the eye.
With a sigh she began the long journey to where she parked her ship.  
CH 9

Days after the battle, and light decades away from Astriloth V, both Karenna and Elex were still in secure observation. They were under guard, more to prevent people from entering and seeing them, than them leaving, especially as they were both heavily sedated.
Dietrich’s think had gathered today in the medical officer's office, "What new info do we have on our project?”
“Everyone who saw her after the battle has been placed in isolation and relieved of watch, I’m not allowed in the ward where Karenna is, and I still haven’t managed to get passed the restriction on her medical record.”
“What do you mean her medical record is restricted, you're the head of the med department? How could you not know this before?"
Doctor Maples shook her head, "I have never needed to pull her record before. All her physicals have always, conveniently fallen on returns to the capital, meaning that another doctor, presumably with better clearance, did them. And she has never been hurt enough to need the record pulled, all I have ever done is make entries."
Dietrich was not convinced, "Aren't you suppose to have the records of all the personnel in this flotilla?"
"I do. But I'm locked out of hers, I can add a record to it but not look at it, odd now that I think about it. They can do that now that it’s all digital on crystal shards." protested doc Maples, "I don't even know what that supplement of hers is supposed to be. The prescription was signed by the head of fleet medical herself, preliminary mass spectrometry indicates poly morphism suppression."
"I did not know of this, why?" Demanded Dietrich, as he started to pace.
"I thought you did, you've been her commanding officer since she left the academy. I was ordered by Grand Admiral Clark, Medical sol sector, to keep quiet. If you had asked earlier, I would have let out my feelers..."
"Fine, I'll take the hit on that. What is her condition?"
“Like I said, everyone that has seen her is isolated, and I can’t get into her room.” Maples shrugged,
“CTT1,” Dietrich turned, you’re up.”
“First off, she's not Terin. Came as a shock to me too, but the tail proves it beyond any grey area."
“Wait!” Maples jumped up, “tail?”
“Yeah, doc,” CTT1 pulled up a live feed of the isolation room and captured picks, “she’s defiantly not human, maybe she’s Kelburne…”
"She is quite possibly the same race as the sisters.” accepted Dietrich.
“Doc, you want biobed feed?” Barnette asked.
“Sure, then I can tell her condition.” He examined the information, “looks like she is mainly suffering from drug withdraw and malnutrition, other than that, and, of course, not being human, she’s good.”
“You said kelborne, right.” Dietrich asked of CTT1, “The same race that formed a government from the ashes of Hydria, the most powerful stronghold of the Turen, evil demons they are?"
"Are you saying the mistrisai are evil, commadore?"
"There not the same.” CTT1 interrupted, “The Nuremar are twisted, we can't even confirm they are the same species. They are always fighting the Mistrisai and the Mastari, also, mistrisai have never been seen with their men..."
"That is true, people, but getting back to the matter at hand..." Dietrich started.
"Will she be alright?" CTT1 asked, just like everyone else, he had had a thing for Karenna the moment he saw her.
"Once she gets over her delayed metamorphosis, she will be fitter than any human."
"What of the male?" Dietrich asked.
Maples looked at CTT1 who switched the biobed feed to Elex’s bed. Maples carefully looked over all the information before sighing, dropping the pad and leaning back in her chair.
"He took more punishment than I thought any could take, but he will be fine in a few weeks, assuming the guards don't get trigger happy."
***
The Mastari were the ruling body of the free male Kelborne. For the past 100 years, since the Tureen ripped them from their home, they had no planet to call home. Their race was dying, without the guidance from their world, too few sons followed the way and remained true to their blood. Increasingly it was getting more difficult to collaborate with the Mistrisai, and so less were berthed out of the corruption called the Nuremar, the betrayed betrayers. Both ancient and proud orders were dying, they were the forgotten.
Their council convened on the ship they stole from the old masters. The six with the title of elder gathered in the innermost chamber of their one bit of property, the Kai Beth, to discuss again the problem at hand. Recently there had been hope, one of the eggs of their greatest noble warriors Jourus-el, that had been abandoned on their home world, had survived despite the lack of care.
"Those sent to the ancient home sent back ambiguous news." The jaguar elder commented to the five others.
"All news can be taken both ways, Sean-Paul." the hawk elder returned, "Did they learn what they were meant to?"
"Yes, Tai-el Dres," Sean-Paul inclined his head, "They found more than we hoped."
They were seated in a sexagonal pattern in the dark room lit only by flickering glow panels. All still had their abilities, but age was getting the better of them. Too many of the young were taken by the promise of quick power that the nuremar boasted. Most had already lost the human form because of it, and with that form, compassion was lost to them as well. The first of many good emotions to disappear.
"The egg of Jourus-el has hatched, and the child has grown strong in spite of isolation. Yet the nuremar also knew, as well as all the other powers of the galaxy now."
"Yes," the oxen elder nodded, "I am informed they had contact with the Mistrisai. I believe it is time for a reunion."
"Ben-Sheiden is correct, though I am too old to participate." Sean-Paul nodded his head.
"Why does it matter?" Ben-Sheiden sighed, "Why would the young follow the ways of old men with the power the nuremar promise."
"The child of Jourus-el, could be convinced. He was already attacked by them…"
"We cannot use lies or deception. That is the ways of the nuremar. We must do as we have always done. Our ways are sacred and powerful, to those willing to take the slow path." Tai-el dres prophesied, "But we cannot force lest our ways be tainted. We will talk with him, if he is willing, he will be taught."
"So it is written, so it shall be done." They all chorused.
***
As Khanna entered the council chamber, she noted all the elders were present, this did not happen often enough. The three elders sat in their stone circle of chairs awaiting the news.
“Tell us, Golden Mane,” Sehra, the greatest of the elders spoke up from the center chair, “What have you done with the Red Mane, you did retrieve her, did you not.”
"I assisted in her recovery, yes, Sehra, but the humans were the ones that obtained her. I could not get to her lest my purpose be known. So the red main is recuperating with the Terins." She signed to the elders, "One of the young un-corrupts appeared to aid her."
As the rest of the elders nodded, Rehna spoke, "A young un-corrupt is rare. Can you tell me what form he took?"
"It seemed that he was of the greatest, clan Jourus. At the very least it was of jaguar form."
“Khana, I do not doubt what you saw." Even Sehra did not want to be on Khana's bad side, "But, you are sure he is un-corrupt?"
"The others attacked him!"
Rehna smiled, "Then what of your progeny? You did say that only the great house was good enough to sire your offspring?"
"It is yet to be proven he is of clan Jourus. Even then, a great family can have miss fires. He must prove himself before I will bear for him."
Khana had long before claimed that as she was the last of her clan, only the greatest of the male clans was good enough to sire her children. She had hoped it would not come to pass, as she had noted women of other species often lost what that made them great. Even though her species raised their own through the whole species, she had always chose to be away during the clutches.
"The time is fast approaching," the elder, Fharen, spoke up, "That if you do not bear, you won't be able to, and your line will end."
"Then so be it!" Khana signed definitely, "My house has always been the best, and if it must end it will be at the top."
"You may be content to let your house die, but the mistrisai can't be. When you have enough knowledge and are part of the mistrisai, you will understand. It is more than about you but the many." Serah announced, "The Terins will not understand what to do for the Red Main. Go, help them tend her. Also, spend time with the brother of the mastari..."
"Sacrilege! The only time with the other gender is to procreate."
"What of the Terin?” Fahren chuckled, “They are powerful as well, in different ways. Perhaps it is time for a change in our ways."
Khanna could believe what she was hearing. She stood dumbfounded, hoping this was some kind of sick deranged joke. Just as she thought of something to say, Sehra spoke up.
"Your standards are too high, and cannot be met. You, the last of the golden dragons, should know, that as powerful as we are, knowledge is our greatest strength. Our numbers dwindle as the humans learn of our second forms and our association with the corrupts. If you must face sacrilege to continue your line, than the mistrisai demand it, I demand it. Too long have there been only three mistrisai, but only those that are both knowledgeable and powerful can sit on the grandest council. I had hoped you reached this point."
"I did not mean to disappoint..."
"It was our fault, I fear.” Rehna sighed, “Indulging you as we did. Allowing your physical pursuits at the expense of your emotional wellbeing. I hope the Terin can mend your mind."
"I will not disappoint." Khana defied, "I will learn what you need of me then embrace it, as a true sister of the Mistrisai."
***
"Sorry I'm late," Kobin apologized as he stepped up to the table, "There was a bit of a tousle in the brig."
Since Astriloth their routine had been strained. With so many people under quarters confinement, the rest were having difficulty keeping up with the slack.
Sareena shook her head, teasingly, "Every 10th meal since Astriloth, you have been late, Eating with another behind my back?"
"Would you be jealous if I were?"
She shook her head, "Not even. You’re a pig and I can't wait to get rid of you.”
"It won't be that easy, I still have to beat you in chess, then we can talk about separation." He forced a tired laugh.
“Do you know why we’re keeping our shipmates under lock and key?”
“Anyone who knows anything is either locked up, or on the admiral’s staff…”
“Speaking of, we found Karenna. What are they still here?”
“Commodore may have been relieved, he hasn’t been doing his usual rounds.”
“Why would they relieve him?” Sareena grimaced, “One of the few COs that’s not a tool…”
“Maybe that’s why.” Kobin shrugged, “We seldom know everything.”
Sareena’s communicator chimed, “Looks like duty calls.”
"Usual time?" Kobin asked, like always.
"Unless I find something better." She responded in her usual fashion. 
CH 10

Slowly Karenna regained consciousness. This was first time in over a month her eyes even twitched. As she came too, she tried to adjust herself to get a lump out from under her backside, she couldn't. Moaning, she opened her eyes to stare at the pastel pinks and blues of the medical bay ceiling. The last few weeks rushed her mind like some kind of bad dream, though it didn’t begin to fade like a dream would have.
She moaned some more still trying to get comfortable. The lump shifted and suddenly pain shot through her mind. It was as if one of her fingers had been completely wrenched out of socket. Before she even knew what was going in, she was screaming in pain and jumping out of bed to find what had caused such pain.
There was nothing in the bed, everything looked as it should. As a breeze registered under her hospital gown, an orderly burst into the room.
"You’re awake!" He declared, then turned away quickly, "Pardon me for saying, but could you put your tail down. It’s really quite embarrassing."
Shock. She cocked her head and the draft was gone. Looking over her shoulder, she saw it. It was like a pony tail and the long hairs were coming in nicely. Jaw on the floor, she looked back at the orderly and promptly fainted.
“Admiral Yamoto,” He activated his communicator, “You asked me to let you know when her condition changed? Yes, Sir, it has, she woke up, and did not appear to expect having a tail.”
***
“Thank you, HMC,” Yamoto sighed into his communicator as he checked reading on a data pad, “See to it she is put back into her bed, and increase the sedatives, looks like she is becoming more Kelborne by the hour.”
This was not what he wanted to here. The Admiralty had plans for her; she was going to help them start, and win, a coup to overthrow the pacifist spy based government, but that could not happen if she learned of her heritage too soon. Now that the change had occurred, she would could not be reverted and if she suspected she was being used, she would not cooperate as planned. Groaning, he began to draft a report hoping he could smooth things over.
“Admiral,” Dietrich didn’t even knock on the state room’s door, “It appears we are at a juncture.”
“You can’t just barge into someone’s private state room.” Yamoto declared, shutting down his datapad.
“Until someone tells me different, my ship, my rules.” Dietrich stated, sitting in an oversized chair.
“What do you want, commodore, or should I say captain…”
“It’s commodore, and I think I have an offer for you.”
“Really?”
“Yes.” Dietrich smiled, “It appears your involvement in the Fea-leon massacre was overlooked. Someone should really set the record straight.”
“You can’t prove anything…”
Dietrich held out a data pad, “You are absolutely, correct, I cannot prove anything.”
Yamoto grabbed the datapad and went over its contents carefully. He had been assured this, oversight, was taken care of. Suddenly thoughts of who or what could have leaked this information blew up in his brain. It certainly wasn’t something the Commodore could have found on his own way out here. Even if he was looking for it. It would do his mission little good if he got on the wrong side of this.
With a sneer, the admiral turned it off and handed it back, “What do you want.”
Dietrich did not have to think, years of playing the game told him exactly how this would play out, “My flotilla, ship, and crew back.”
“After you resupply at weigh station Capricorn, I will be taking Karenna…”
“No, you wont.”
“Are you questing me?”
“Two questions, how many skeletons do you have in your closet, and how long do you think it will take me to find and disseminate them?”
“After you resupply at Capricorn, you are going to get orders to the Kesk expanse, to loiter in the dead zone between the arms of the galaxy.” The admiral sneered, “And if you try to blackmail me again, you will wish you were only decommissioned.”
“Have a good day, Sir.” Dietrich smiled getting up to leave.
“I hope you enjoy being a commodore.” The admiral yelled as the door shut, “It’s the highest rank you’ll ever get, and you’ll be lucky to get out of the kesk expanse alive!”
“I hope you know what your doing, Sir.” Barnette remarked as he joined the commodore in the lift just down the hall from the guest quarters, “Entire crews have been known to go mad in the expanse.”
“CTT1, it’s all about choosing your battlefield, and having a backup. I know some people in Sol sector that will work this from their end, we just have to bide our time.
***
“And what do you know of the red, Karenna’s condition?” Doc Maples asked as she sorted through paper work that had been piling up.
In all the activity of Astriloth, no one had thought to revoke her fighter’s clearance to land. She had managed to get on board and in the medical section before anyone could say anything. She had not stopped making a scene until Maples had her escorted to his office.
“Karenna is not Terrin.” Khana’s communicator droned, “Surely you have figured that out by now.”
“I have not be allowed to see her, the admiral’s private staff are the only ones with permission to enter her recovery room.” Maples returned, wandering how much this Kelborne knew.
“Physicians always find ways to care for those under their purview.” Khana shrugged, “If you like, I will get you in there…”
“Okay, fine I know she is Kelborne.” Maples sighed knowing it was not a good idea to get on this one’s bad side, “What’s it to you, and how did you know?”
Khana began to saunter about, constantly ticking on her communicator
“Sisters can feel each other, especially in the realm of our world… I knew before I left.” Khana thought better of what she was going to say, she did not have permission to tell the Terrin of Astriloth, “I have returned to help bring her to health, and to talk with her, as originally bargained.”
Maples knew That Dietrich had a plan to get his command back, but was it possible that she was part of helping him get Karenna’s health back? At this point Maples wouldn’t put it past his CO.”
“Fine, follow me, I’ll start my rounds with her, I doubt even Yamoto’s thugs are stupid enough to cross you.” 
CH 11

When Karenna came too, again, she was in her own quarters, the ones she shared with Hazel and Nova, the other female pilots of her wing. She was in her section, on the chase lounge she made double for a bed. The biggest shock was that she was surrounded by people. The commadore, an admiral, a doctor she didn't recognize, Maples, A woman she didn’t know but somehow recognized, and her roommates, quite a few more people than she was used to seeing at once.
"One question, Karenna." Dietrich started, "Did you know?"
He did not have to continue, it was obvious what he meant. She sat up, flinched as her tail bent too far in one direction, and put it between her legs.
"Commodore, Sir, I am probably more surprised than you."
Dietrich nodded, her reaction was proof enough for him. Yamoto, for his part, moved to the back and fumed. The others crowded closer, trying to wish well their comrade. They were happy their friend was back, and Yamoto would not tell them that he had known the whole time. He could not risk more repracussions. After all, the admiralty had made it clear, in no uncertain terms that he had already lost his last chance at command, and any further issues and he would be let go.
"It has been more than a month since we rescued you from the nuremar. Did you, by any chance, meet, say, a companion?" Dietrich started not wishing to lead her to an answer.
She had to think about what he meant by that, "Elex saved me from my crashed fighter. He has the mentality of a child because he has not been around people. Quite nice really, where is he?"
"He, is, in a separate room.” Dietrich shrugged, hoping he didn’t upset her.
Before they gathered to talk to Karenna, Khana pulled them all aside to make a few things clear. One of the things she made clear, was that that young kelborne were very susceptible to emotional outbursts that could hurt people. For red mains, those with red hair, the worst emotion was anger, fire was a very real possibility. She reinforced the idea that, since she was not allowed to change naturally, by the use of a drug, made the situation far more problematic. It was for this reason, they all were careful of what they said.
“At the time it looked as if he might be aiding the others in absconding with you." He finished.
She nodded, she knew it was very likely poor Elex would not be treated well.
"I was unconscious at the time..."
"We know.” Dietrich patted her shoulder, “When did this, tail, happen?"
"About a week and a half after I, arrived, I began to notice something not quite right."
"Exactly the amount of time it would take the drug to wear off." The unknown doctor smirked, "It was a morph suppressant, as I thought."
"You're going to be off for the rest of the week." Dietrich got up, "Its Thursday. Report for your normal duties on Monday. I will make sure, Elex, is moved to more comfortable conditions."
With that, they all departed, leaving Karenna to ponder over the implications of her new, so called life.
***
The brig was seamless, in seams was escape. The room was tiny, on a door made of sound for an entrance. Lying on the rack in the middle of the small room, Elex waited. Then the ever-present hum of the force feedback field was gone.
At first he thought they had turned it off, then he remembered the sound changed every so often. It had only remodulated to a higher octave than he could hear, that was all, no reason to look.
"Ok, Elex, is it? The commodore said you are free to go."
He was imagining it. They called him freakwing.
Wait, what was a commodore? He looked up and there the man stood. The same one that put the food through that little door by the field.
"Karenna is alright?"
The man nodded, "Yes, she is. And she said you helped her. The commodore said he would talk with you and decide what to do with you later."
Slowly Elex got up and walked to the opening. After a moment of hesitation he stepped through. Once through he looked back at the guard.
"Cassandra will take you to a dorm where you can stay while we figure out what to do with you."
© Copyright 2015 Dax (devron at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2033460-Soverign-PT-3