*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2033458-Sovreign-PT2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Dax
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2033458
The Olympus continues to look for Karena and things just get weirder
CH 4



For what felt like years, Karenna felt pain, the likes of which she had never before known. Occasionally, she managed to break through the pain veil to catch glimpses of where she was. What she saw was neither well nor ill so far as she could see. She found herself in a room with polished wood panels and a few bright white circular lights. The door, she suffered to notice, was at the far end. That alone would make escape difficult, but the fact whenever she did break through the veil of pain and drugs, there was someone there, meant even more problems escaping.

The person looked not quite human, as if he was a transgenic experiment with human and jaguar DNA gone awry. She hoped it was the drugs that made the man look so odd, but aliens did out number humans, so, he probably was as freaky looking as he seemed. He appeared kind enough, but she had an obligation to try to escape. It would not be easy, however.

As she carefully opened her eyes, for the first time in forever without any pain or drug fuzziness, she was greeted with that not quite human face. She stared a moment longer, then blinked furiously hoping the figure would disappear, but he did not. He instead snapped to full clarity.

"Am I a prisoner of war?" She eventually asked, almost curious what his answer would be.

Confusion flooded the man's almost too innocent face. It was obvious that he at least understood part of what she said, but not all. He turned to look at the door, she could not see who or what was there, and they conversed in a language she did not understand, but it felt right. When he turned back, he took a breath.

"You are, detained, by nothing other than yourself." He started slowly, "However my skills at healing are not so great. Even with Galen's help, it still would be wiser to remain until Galen had finished observing you."

After a moment of thought, "Who's Galen?"

He again had to confer with the unseen man, "Galen is that which provides healing. Galen was left behind by the masters to help us live longer, so I understand."

She nodded, he was obviously as old as she, but he acted younger, "How old are you?"

After a moment of thought he returned, "It is difficult to divine. I know that the change happens at around 17 revolutions, and I am 5 past that. I do not know how long I wandered before I was taken in by Galen. The others were taken in the Rein of fire from beyond the sky."

"About 20 standard years, then, yet you have the mentality of a child." She sighed, again this was neither good nor bad, it just was.

For a while they looked at each other wondering what was going on it the other’s mind. All the while, the presence that could be felt but not seen, maintained they needed each other.

Elex did not know where this was going, he struggled to find something to say, "I can only say that which I know. The masters claimed because we lived longer, and grew more powerful, we matured slower..."

"Don't worry about it, it’s not important. You said Galen took you in? I thought Galen was a tool, for healing?"

"Ya, yes that is Galen's primary function, yet because of my age, he altered his programming, to care for me..."

She smiled, he was so innocent, too bad when the others found her, he would be detained and questioned, harshly. And there was nothing she could do about it. She did not have the authority to do anything to help him along. This was not something she wanted to get into now, anyway.

"So, how long does Galen predict I will be under observation?"

Now she saw the figure as it seemed to hover toward her bed, he spoke in the most soothing voice she had ever heard, "You can leave when you are able, I nor Elex will stop you. As far as ‘Galen's’ mighty predictions, I do not know."

"Am I that bad off?"

Carefully, then man she took to be Galen admitted, "No, far from it. But there may be a problem with your genes."

She was about to ask something else, but Galen started before she did, "Elex, she needs rest to recover, allow her that. Sleep now, child, let your physical wounds heal."

Elex nodded and left as she drifted off to sleep, against her will.

***

The bridge was abuzz with activity. For weeks now the special envoy from Sol sector had been running the crews of all the ships in the flotilla ramped, looking for Karenna. Yet even now there was pause. A small, lone, long range fighter was requesting an open channel.

"I represent the Mistrisai." boomed a mechanical voice across the comlink, chilling everybody to the bone, "I request clearance to dock."

Everybody was looking at each other, this was an unusual situation. While the Terin were not at war with the Mistrisai, relations were tight. Still, one did not refuse a sister of the Mistrisai, overtly at least, if you wanted to live. The commodore thought hard as he paced the command deck.

"Why does she not speak directly?" He asked to no one in particular.

“And of course, Yamoto is nowhere to be found.” Hawtorne harrumphed, “At least its ship’s day shift, scrambling shouldn’t be too hard.”

The flight controlmen of the watch turned in his seat, "Well, it could be a trap. I mean, if we can't trace voice patterns... that, and you never say no to a sister."

Then another spoke up, "I have heard tails of a sister that is more powerful than a class 9 fusion generator, and she is a mute. Either way, sir, I suggest caution."

"I agree, Ms. Ruzo, have an honor guard, 4 companies, standing by in the hangar, live rounds. Mr. Deckler, giver her clearance."

Each acknowledged and carried out their assignments.

"Understood, carry on." The commodore responded as he left the command deck, “Captain, you have the deck and conn.”

***

Dietrich rushed to the hanger, after a quick stop in his quarters to jump into his dress uniform. The hanger was huge, fighters and short range craft of all configurations were parked in neat rows. Every tool was quickly picked up and the area hastily cleared, but if one knew where to look, one could see the things that they shouldn’t.

In this hangar of the Taurus, 4 squads were already in ranks, 8 rows of 8, with an aisle between then, and the ship was floating in for a landing. A few moments later, the gangway dropped and the hiss of the airlock died down. The honor guard came to attention, and Dietrich walked down the aisle. And of course, the special envoy decided not to attend, finding Karenna was more important than preserving the icy truce between the Terin and the Mistrisai.

The woman was tall, with long golden hair. Her clothing was like elastic silk, the darkside translucent rainbow it reflected was a wonder to behold, she too had decided to play dress up. She stepped slowly down the gangway, and looked at the personnel arrayed before her. It was kind of intoxicating that so many feared her so much.

"I bring greeting from the Terin government." Dietrich politely bowed.

Her face was grim, she raised her left arm and slowly punched the keys on the pad, "I have no wish for your false hospitality. My purpose here is to correct a mistake made by another."

The commander swallowed hard, he too had heard of her, she always meant business, "I was unaware that this area was space claimed by the Mistri...”

"That was not the mistake!" the mechanical voice boomed, "I desire information on one of your pilots that disappeared from here."

"Has, this, pilot, done anything to you or your..."

The tail of the visitor flicked in frustration, "No, she has not. I wish to speak with her."

"I am truly sorry, but she is unable to speak..."

"Because she is lost." The voice declared, "I will assist in locating her, on the condition that she will be allowed to speak freely with me. DO NOT question my intelligence."

The commodore was in a bind, he was told any means necessary to find her, quickly. But this was a little overboard, "We are grateful for any help we can get." He eventually accepted indicating she should follow him.

***

"Damn, Kobin, this is getting crazy." Sareena complained as she sat down to dinner in front of him, "It seems, now, the sisters are after the bitch. Do you think it's true they have trained dragons?"

The ship had a few cafes for one’s dining pleasure. This was one of the nicer ones for the senior enlisted. It was like a ski lodge. The effect of the faux wood and stuffed animal heads went a long way to convincing one they were not on a ship. It was almost comfortable.

Kobin smiled as he ripped apart his bread like an animal, "That, I do not care. But I am affiliated with a group that, hunts, dragons."

"Isn't that dangerous?" She asked, smearing some butter on a slice of bread herself.

"Oh, more than you realize. A full grown, dragon, is far more wiley and powerful than you know. By and by, to which bitch are you referring? Karenna?" Kobin replied, accepting his glass of wine from the server.

"Who else? Chateau D’leon, please. I simply don't understand why they would want, her, of all people? Thank you."

Kobin shrugged, "There are rumors that she killed one of the mistrisai..."

"You know that’s crazy. No human, no matter how good, can stack up to a mistrisai. In anything."

"Maybe, she is one too?" Kobin shrugged, “She is better than anyone else, at everything she does.”

"Doubt it, they have tails."

"There are, tales, you know, of male penal camps in their territory. We did help them put down an insurrection on Zeta Iota 5? Siorte just happened to be there." Kobin shrugged.

"We all were. And we arrived after the fact, to clean up. Besides, that wasn't their space, we asked them for assist, remember?" Laughed Sareena.

"Just saying, no one has ever seen their men... Well, whatever the reason, Yes, sirloin please, potatoes au gratin, green beans, and white rice, thank you. I don't care what she did, gets her out of our hair, right?"

"I guess, assuming Yamoto actually relents to letting the Mistrisai talk.” She shook her head handing the menu to the server, “I'll have the same please."

***

Radio, named after the room that did the same thing on earth bound vessels, was the central hub of the ship’s communication. With a temperature kept at a balmy 20C people did not frequent this section unless they had too, or they had an agenda.

Dietrich sat in the back next to the WSC racks with laptops set up to talk to the few captain’s in the mini fleet he trusted implicitly.

“Commodore,” Barnette hopped from foot to foot and blew into his hands, “I don’t want to be a complainer, but why am I here?”

“In case I need you to unjam this transmission.” Dietrich shrugged as the laptop screens snapped to life, “The Nine-five racks are usually warmer if you want to hang out in that section.”

“Captain Chase, Captain Janeway, And Kirkguard, glad you could join me.” Dietrich greeted. “I’m sure your wondering why I asked for this little conference.”

“Just a little.” Janeway of the battleship Thorne shrugged.

The captains were also in their radio rooms, freezing their eagles off. Janeway was wearing a brown leather jacket with grey fur around the neck. Her fiery red hair was down, a contrast to her usual tight bunn, probably trying to stay warm.

“As you all know, this little foray looking for a lost pilot is not in any one’s interest, too much effort gets wasted for too little result it is us, not the admiral that will get the blame.”

“What is this all about?” Chase, of the cruiser Blade asked.

Chase was also a younger captain, he had sandy brown hair, that was, as usual, unkempt, he cared more for results than looks, which made it less surprising that he was a captain so young, a testament to Dietrich’s machinations, and why he implicitly trusted his superior.

“That, fellow commanding officers, is what we are trying to figure out.” Dietrich returned almost oblivious to the cold, “Kirkguard, has Maples found anything?”

Kirkguard was Captain of the destroyer Intrepid, and he was always looking for a way to advance and was only deterred by his furrient interests. He had Dietrich to thank for not being slapped with several harassment suits. He had no choice but to cooperate.

“We may have the best spectrum analyzer in the original fleet, but this is not a science ship, you need to get her on Yamoto’s ship…”

“What do you have, Commander…” Deitrich threatened.

“Your doctor has found traces Poly holinol…”

“Isn’t that the drug they use to keep transgenic species from attacking their own cells?” Chase asked in shock.

“Yup.” Kirkguard laughed, “Looks like your pet may really be a pet after all.”

“Blow it out your ass.” Dietrich sighed, “Keep looking, you all, if we can get in front of this, we may be able to use it.”  

CH 5



It had been a week. The longest most pain filled, boring week of her life, but Karenna was finally up and about. The VMD that was Galen, kept performing tests, he was not satisfied that she well. It was annoying as hell, but at least the nausea from skipping her meds had passed, maybe she was an addict?

As she was told, neither of the men tried to detain her. She had free reign of the building. Little help that was. There was no way off this alien, fucking tree filled, world.

She did learn, however, that the residence was inside a huge tree that might as well have been a skyscraper. It also might as well have been a maze; up, down, left, right, diagonal in all ways, she was still getting lost.

“Where is everyone?” She asked, of no one in particular, as she approached yet another unfamiliar door.

“The Masters took them in the Reign of fire.” Elex’s cute voice remarked stepping inside.

“So what, they left you to care for their tree house?” She asked continuing down the corridor, almost pleased with his company.

“I was lost when I found the great tree.” He shrugged, “Where are your wings? Wait, Galen says women don’t have wings, you should have a tail…”

He darted behind her and began grabbing at her clothes, “Hu, hey, wha, hey, what are you doing?”

“Trying to find your tail, how did you hide it?”

“Look I don’t have a tail, promise, humans don’t have tails.”

“But Galen...”

“I don’t care what your computer friend says, I am a human, where’s the bathroom again?”

“Come, I’ll show you...”

“You're not sneaking in to look at me again. You need to learn boundaries.” she groaned, following his bouncing, too excited form.

***

Astrometics was the largest room on the carrier. Designed for mapping out battle strategies and coordinating all kinds of efforts, the VM projectors were capable of a wide range of information. The map of the sector stretched across the room as the senior staff of the Taurus stood in the middle, taking in the display.

Yamoto dominated the exact center, above which Ursconn, the plutoid Karenna scanned, hovered. His uniform was starched and pressed to within an inch of it’s life, something he obviously didn’t do himself.

“Our efforts have been greatly assisted by you, Ms. Khana.” He started, “But can you explain again, why and how, you know about the battle?”

“I was leading a team investigating the same rumors of a weapons cache on the plutoid, and my vocalizer was, damaged.” Khana was quite adept at stretching the truth, “So when we ran into your scout, I was unable to converse with her and ask about how she was so exceptional. Instead, my second in command decided to take it on herself to attack. During the battle I gained even more respect for your pilot and now I am seeking to find her, just like you.”

“According to the information you provided us,” Lt. Davis, who was department head of the Navigation department, “This is the projected flight path.”

“It would have been a micro jump," she decreed as she indicated the holomap, "More than half these worlds would have been out of reach."

"That's still 53 worlds," Dietrich, replied, "And we have already searched 30. Even the senate believes she is dead now."

"Then I will search 23 more." Khana defiantly declared.

“That is your prerogative.” Yamoto shrugged, he had been trying to get her to leave since she showed up, “You do have your own ship, and you obviously don’t like the company…”

“Admiral, internal disputes solve nothing…” Hawthorn started before Yamoto’s glare cut him off.

The whole situation was really beginning to wear on Dietrich, who really hated not being in charge of his command, "What makes you so certain that Karenna is alive?"

"What makes you so certain she is not?" Khana returned, sneering as she typed on her vocalizer, "When we cease to live, our life energy is returned to the source to be reused. I do not believe her’s has."

Dietrich curled his lip in frustration, "That doesn't... Never mind."

The only sound of note was the hum of the poorly maintained motors of the veemeeprojectors as they faithfully displayed the emptiness of space, and its jump routs. Old decorations and stains still clung to the rafters and floor from the assorted parties and events that this room was usually used for. Nothing was making sence to the staff of the Taurus, and things were still getting worse for them.

Yamoto shrugged, "Kelborne, you have been a help, but that is wearing thin, I am prepared to let you accompany us to one more world…”

She sneered at him, "You act as if it was one of my people I asked you to help. If you do this out of pity, do not bother."

"Not out of pity do I do this, but my own sense of honor.” Yamoto’s words seamed too hollow, “I was charged with her recovery, and we let her down. Though they want it all, the government only has a set amount of funds with which to do it. I have to balance those needs."

She sneered and shook her head, "I do not care for your reasons. Just get us there, man!"

As she said the last she stormed out of the room. Dietrich was left bewitched bothered and beguiled. When he recovered he contacted the control deck and had them set a course for the next, and last, system on the list. For a fleet this size, it would take 4 days.

***

The standard cafeteria fare was served in an industrial looking cafeteria. This was the biggest eatery on the ship, open to all enlisted and JO’s alike. There was nothing comfortable about it, even the booth’s blue pleather was frayed and flat. Kobin and Sareena found a nice isolated section to eat their briner.

“So, Mellissa, the chief yeomen, was telling me about the problems they have been having keeping our guest in good spirits.” Sareena remarked as they sat down.

“I’m assuming it has not been cake.” Kobin shrugged, eating a slice of pepperoni pizza.

“No, that Kelborne takes offence to everything.”

“Well, those with the highest standards, and least abilities usually do find the most fault.”

"Heh, heh, Yah, I know." Sareena laughed, "The last 3 guys they sent to serve her meal in her quarters, acquired 3rd degree electrical burns on their gentiles."

“Obviously," Kobin chuckled, “She Don't like men."

Sareena shook her head, "Ya know, I don't think Khana likes humans period. Even some of the women ended up with quite a shock."

Kobin nodded, "Yes, you know, I did hear her complaining to the head cook, in a very charged manor, that the ones punished had been so because they made unwelcome advances on her person."

"Yah, well, its their own fault, all of them." Sareena was suddenly serious again, "And really, I'm glad this is going to be the last planet that we are searching together, and she is leaving. I am so getting tired of this shit."

The search for their missing pilot was taking its toll on the crews of the flotilla. No one was happy that so much effort for just one person, especially when all of them knew someone that has not been given the same consideration.

“What is it she could have possibly done to earn her such a man hut?” Sareena sighed, “I don’t understand what is so important about her that so many want to find her.”

"What I don't understand," Kobin returned, "Is how the Honai always know what planet were searching. I mean it’s bad enough their raiding parties strike at merchants, and other non comms. Now they are attacking us while we search for another woman to save her life, it is fucked up. I mean, I thought they were all about making females the dominant gender of this predominantly bi gendered galaxy.”

For a brief second, a flash of concern flashed across Sareena’s face, "Lucky I guess, that’s the way the galaxy works, kick you while your down and all.”

“I guess you’re right.” She weakly smiled to Kobin as her chrono went off, “What is that?”

“Well, it means I’m late for the search briefing that I suddenly have to go through.” Sareena grimaced uneasily, “Gotta go."

Kobin checked his chronometer, "Wow, it is late. See ya' lunch?"

She turned back and showed her happy face, "You betcha!"

“See you next time?”

“Unless I find someone better.” 

CH 6



Karenna had been in bed with a fever for the past 3 days. A sore had started on her back, just above the crack of her buttock, and it had grown to cover the entirety of her spinal column, and it burned. She was constantly covered in a cold sweat, and in this cold sweat, she thrashed about on the mattress which had been placed on the floor for her safety. Elex fretted outside the isolation room the entire time.

"Galen!" He screamed in dread, "What’s happening to her?"

Calmly, soothingly, Galen replied, "What should have happened some time ago. Had this happened naturally, and in the proper course of time, it would not be nearly so bad."

Galen's volumetric interface pretended to manipulate controls, it was an unnecessary habit he had gotten into when he was training Elex to use the equipment, "In fact it should have been less of an ordeal than when your wings sprouted."

"Wait, she is, going to get wings?" Elex inquired, confused.

"No, in a few days, she will have a tail, just like all the females of your species."

"And so, she will, look, normal?"

Galen smiled. Not being around any real adults had hurt him in the development of his mind. He was old, but still so simple.

"Yes, Elex, she will appear more normal to you, though, those that will be coming for her will, no doubt, be as confused as you."

"You said those beyond the sky were smart?" Elex turned to the volumetric display in askance.

"Intelligence, Elex, those words can mean different things.” The program patted his charge on the shoulder, “I hope you will understand that, someday."

Elex was as confused as ever with that statement, but decided to ignore it, "So, how long will she be in such pain? It is so bad I can feel it."

Galen sighed, another quirk of his altered programming, "All your species has a connection to each other the closer you are the more intensely it is felt. As far as the duration, I cannot say. As I have told you, she was artificially blocked from making the change. All I can do is maintain higher levels of oxygen and neural tranquilizers. Believe me, I do wish there was more for me to do."

The pair turned back to their newest friend just in time to see the worst of the fit. Karenna thrashed about, ripping the supposedly tear resistant sheets like tissue paper. As Elex and Galen watched in shock, skin pealed from Karenna’s back. The new tail thrashed about like a snake learning about its new cage. Finally Kerena calmed down, and began a sleep of recovery.

Although there was next to no blood, there was enough to concern Galen. His matrix shimmered and he appeared beside Karenna, to perform a visual examination. At least she was calm again.

***

Khana was not enjoying her time amongst the humans. It was difficult for her to reconcile working with men, for Kelborne working with the other gender was beyond sacrilege. For generations the two Kelborne genders only worked together for one purpose, reproduction.

Yet, the humans seemed to flaunt their unification of genders, and were trying to force it on her. Those sent to her with food or other necessities tried to hit on her, using banal chit chat or other equally inappropriate approaches. The reason genders were kept separate, men could not control themselves.

Like many of the quarters provided to diplomats, The quarters provided to Khana contained everything one could need. Personal bathing facilities and toiletries, a small foyer to meet and entertain visitors, a commlink with a private channel, ect.

To Khana, the quarters were less than ideal. She was raised in a minimalist environment and found the quarters to be too large, but was not about to risk being place with a human. The colors were too vibrant, where one lived should be earth tones. And the brightness was all off.

After she chased off one of their woman that insisted on talking about possible entertainments the ship could provide, (had they no shame), she activated her personal subspace transceiver on her ship though her remote.

The screen of her encrypted comes tablet shimmered into the image of the elder, “Salutations, Khana, how goes the search?”

“These people are imbeciles.” She signed, disgusted, “They are ready to give up after only searching 30 worlds for their comrade. And somehow the Hornai are on every world we search”

“They have greater numbers than we, child, their need to keep their people accounted for is not as great, and no one really knows what the Hornai agenda is.” The elder sighed, “But, besides that, how are you holding up?”

“Their men and women work at the same time, and the same place, on the same ship…”

“That is their way, Khana, it has served them for millennia…”

“It’s a disgrace…”

“Deal with it, sister, that is your current duty. You must find the Red Main, by any means.”

After a moment Khana sneered, then signed, “Yes, mistress.”

***

The flotilla completed the jump to normal space in perfect formation and in orbit above the planet known as Astriloth V. A planet that was discovered by the Tureen over 100 years ago. They reported only forests, broken by vast craters, no intelligent life. Though relations between the Terrin and the Tureen were strained, there was never any need to verify the report. Looking at the looming emerald ball the conclusion that was drawn was that it was accurate enough.

“Technically,” the scanning technician of the watch remarked, “It’s more like a jungle than a forest.”

“I think their words for both are the same.” The comms officer shrugged.

“They’re human too, just former rebels, from the war of expansion…”

“Maintain bridge discipline, you two.” Yamoto groaned as the rest of the bridge staff rolled their eyes in frustration, “You are professionals, after all.”

The group observed the orb displayed in the central VMD. The light display was serene, almost peaceful. Scan results displayed constantly updated as new information became available, noteworthy information was highlighted for attention. All the available information indicated that there was no evidence that any intelligent life had ever developed on this world. Suddenly a craft appeared from behind a shadow of one of the planets three moons.

"You are in violation!" a mechanical voice boomed immediately after they established comms.

There was a pause across the entire bridge, this boded ill for the crew. A mechanical, droid like voice could only mean one of two things, and the mute Kelborne was already on board.

The Nuremar were a dangerous race of traditionalists. They were a race that was so strong, no others could beat them in single combat. They also never developed technology of their own, but they had impressed into their service great technical minds from around the galaxy, and the ships they had developed were more than a match for even a large carrier group such as this.

Another quirk they had was their belief that communication over a comms system was dishonorable. So they always employed others, or druids, to talk on the radio. The voice elicited chills over everyone’s spine. If the Nuremar were here, things were going to get dicey.

"Tell your employer, Droid," Dietric returned not really caring what the Nuremar thought, "We already have permission, from the Tureen, who claimed this world, to search it."

The crew looked at their commander with horror, was he trying to get them killed?

After a moment the voice came back, "My master states that was not the intent of the message. The Tureen may have claimed the planet, but my masters claim its sole inhabitant."

Dietrich grimaced and shook his head, "We will find what was lost to us."

After a moment more the voice returned again, "You will find death, I am told."

At that moment drop ships were launched from the underside of the carrier ship. They could not shoot the drop ships out of the air even if they wanted to, their shields were the best to be had, a result of their inhibitions of any battle that was not face to face. This was not good, no human could best the Nuremar in hand to hand combat, and therefore used other tactics, making them unliked by the Nuremar.

“Scramble the warriors, launch the dropships!" the admiral ordered after the comms were cut, "I don't know what they claimed on this word, but we have to get her back."

The crew looked at Dietrich, he was after all their CO, “You heard the admiral, Red Alert.”

After presumably all the dropships were out of the enemy shuttle bay they activated their light screen. After all, they never fought unless it was face to face, on the field of battle. And so in space, when you did find them, they had the best defensive systems in the universe, and no offence. The Taurus, hell, any ship in the task force, could never track it unless they wanted them to.

***

Battle stations was an all hands evolution. Because there was no specific plan, on coming watch standees were expected to report to boarding stations, or in this case, landing parties. When the red alert and landing raid sirens went off, Kobin and Sareena dropped their trays and rushed to the hangar deck.

The drop ship hangers were flushed with activity, pilots and mechanics conducting emergency checklists on their ships, and boarding parties preparing this gear. In alcoves along the side of the flight deck were decon stations, and weapons ready lockers.

Kobin, as senior armory chief, punched on his code to open the locker and began distributing guns and ammo to the other crewmen that followed.

"What the hell is going on!" someone demanded as he grabbed a rifle and did the standard inspections.

“Does it matter, it could be a drill, and we still act as if it its life or death, get a move on!" Kobin demanded.

"Aye chief!" the other acknowledged when he saw who it was.

"You didn't have to be so harsh." Sareena stated as she completed her inspection.

"Now is not the time for pleasantries, Chief Janis, we have a job to do." Replied Kobin, snapping in a magazine for his own gun.

"You get strange when you are told to do something you don’t like, it’s like you’re a different person. Haven't you ever asked why?"

"I find,” he sighed, “One gets confused when you ask why. Move out." 

CH 7



There were very few personnel that had very much experience in guerilla warfare. Fortunately, they were the first to touch down on the thick canopy.

“Dagger One to Taurus, the local fauna is not friendly.” Kobin radioed to the ship, “No contact with Nuremar, secondary assault teams are clear for FOB establishment, be advised, however, there is no ground, the entire ecosystem appears to be evolved to live in a canopy.”

“Taurus copies, your orders are to help establish FOBs and keep an eye out for Karenna.” The combat coordinator that just reported for duty announced back.

As Landers hovered above the massive branch that the dagger was on, angry animals attacked again. As the ramp dropped, machine gun fire sprayed blood all over the canopy. Combatants rushed out to establish a perimeter.

Gunners set up crew served weapons, technicians set up field antennas and established communications between the ship, other bases and their personnel. The work was spotty, they had only ever done this in practice, not being assigned to strategic land reserves, SLR, they had never expected to do this for real.

As a giant cat pounced on a tech setting up a satellite dish, Kobin jumped off over the carcass of his last kill, and filled the kitty full of holes.

“At you okay Tech sergeant?” he asked helping the man up, “Medic! See to this man, Gains get on this dish, Portland cover these noncoms, I’ll be on channel 2 if you need me.”

“Since when are you mobile infantry?” Sareena asked, following him into the jungle.

“I am what I have to be, just like you.” He groaned, “Behind you!”

She dropped to the ground as he lit up the beast that had tried to sneak up on them, “Thanks…”

“Just doing my job…”

“Bravo company 938,” The radio squawked, “Nuremar storming our position, request immediate backup!”

“Tango Juliet,” another called, “Unknown red forces converging on FOB 409…”

“I’ll get bravo,” Kobin announced to Sareena, “You help Tango.”

***

Karenna had been on the road to recovery when thunder from above tore open the sky, “Galen, what’s happening?” Elex screamed in un-bridled terror.

“It would appear that the dark war has finally returned to Astriloth.” Galen shrugged, “You have to go…”

“What of the Karenna?” he glanced at her in the recovery room.

She was still out for the count. The physical wounds had healed, but scar tissue had formed around her spinal column. It would be a permanent reminder the pain of arrogance in trying to control nature with drugs, especially if it was others doing it.

The air erupted again, "More fliers from the above!" Elex screamed looking at the information displayed on the computer terminal.

"It is as I feared." Galen had no emotion, "As she is, she is merely a mortal. But soon her power will develop and the governments of the whole galaxy will all seek to possess it. Just as what happened when the sky rained fire, the first time."

“You mean the time before I was hatched, why now” Elex was beginning to hyperventilate, "I, don't understand, Galen!"

"In time you will, I assure you." Galen calmed Elex, "But for now you must take her and run. I do not know who you will be able to trust, but you will have to find allies. Go!"

"What of you, Galen?"

"As before, I cannot leave the great tree."

Elex thought for a moment, then rushed the recovery room, picked up Karenna, and ran. Moments after he left the room, the walls blew in.

"My job is done." He said to no one in particular as his form began to shimmer and fade, "I can only hope he will learn the lessons of his elders and prevent a far worse catastrophe than the destruction of one world and species."

***

This was the home world. The planet from which her people had come. Khana was the first of her people to set foot on it since the mistrisai and mastari were established to work toward their freedom. This thought energized Khana as she made her way to the great tree. It was like she was told, the planet did speak to her, it wanted her to find the Red Main. Their world wanted them to return someday, and they would, in glory.

Khana was one of the more powerful sisters, though she knew that transforming to her second form would do no one any good. She also chose not to use her own powers, but instead used Viltrix, her blade of lightning, specially crafted for her alone by their greatest smiths.

Her world whispered to her again, she was not the only Kelborne on this world. She paused in the middle of a large open area on the limb of this enormous tree.

“What business does the Mastari have here?” she signed knowing brothers would know of her lack of speech.

Winged lizards landed lightly all around her, “All Kelborne have business at home.” The one in front shrugged, and signed in respect.

“I am here with the Terren…”

“Yes, the stolen sister.” He interrupted with a shrug, “Do they know?”

“Not my concern, but they may mistake you for Nuremar while you search for the lost brother.” She smiled at their shock, “Like the Mastari, the Mistrisai know much of our shared needs.”

“I would recommend being careful, brother.” She continued, before darting into the canopy, “They are in a highly emotional state.”

Khana continued with little more resistance on her bee line to the great tree, though she did note, the brothers were going the same way. As she wondered what their world was telling them, she was jumped from behind by a woman in black. Khana, in a purely reflexive action let out a wave of electricity, it had little effect.

"Rubber does not conduct, bitch." She whispered into Khana's ears as she kept hold of her in a half nelson, "You have two choices, Mute, give into destiny and serve with us of the of Hornai, who have so much more to offer to a woman of your, talents, than those you currently serve; or die as the traitor to women you are.

Khana could not respond, she did not have her vocalizer, nor was she in a position to sign. Instead, she used her tail to pull the feet of her attacker from under her. They both fell of the limb they were standing on, fought in midair until they landed on a larger branch. After a short tousle, Khana was on top, using her knees to hold the other's arms and her tail to hold the legs. The attacker probably could have gotten up if she wanted to, she wanted to know the response.

"I cannot betray that which I have never joined." Khana signed defiantly.

The woman in black smiled, blood dripping from her ruby lips, "All women are Hornai. And if they do not serve as such, betray all woman kind."

"I serve the Mistrisai!" Khana sighed with barely contained anger, then punched the other out for the count.

After a little more travel she was confronted with a disheartening sight. A flight of jaguars, nuremar, Astriloth told her, had already cornered the red main, who was being carried by, she couldn’t believe it, a non-nuremar jaguar.

“It looks as if our goals coincide, Sister.” The voice of the brother sounded in her head, Astriloth was letting them talk without speaking, a rare gift even for Kelborne, “As detestable as it is, we must work together.”

***

As on the other worlds they had searched, Sareena had managed to break commas long enough to get away from the rest of her landing party. Though, this time was more dangerous, many were searching and running, her meeting would be in the eye of the storm.

"You served us well, Sareena" Smiled the lethally gorgeous Hornai handler, “For my own satisfaction, I wish to finally know, what opened your eyes to the truth?”

The Hornai was tall and athletic, she had very little body fat, but it was in the right places. Her Scarlet eyes glinted in the sun as wisps of clouds crossed above. Her golden hair was to her shoulders and save the light curl of the ends, was perfectly straight. Her ears were slightly pointy, almost feline, it was rare for races to mix, but with her, it worked. Even other women, Sereena included, were not immune to the charm of these people; many a man and woman killed for their whims, just to get a hint of a smile. They were dangerous, consummate seducers. They were the result of careful transgenics, the authors of which were long since dead.

“The world of man is corrupt and must be brought to a quick and deceive end. I saw this when they failed to even attempt a search for Brian, and again in their search for this woman who has been lied to her whole life.”

“Of course.” She smiled, nearly melting Sareena, “And what would you think to be a worthwhile reward for bringing us the last of the Flareens?”

She did not even have to think about her response, “I wish to be allowed to overtly declare that I serve the true Goddess, Hornai. To become one with you.”

The woman took a deep breath, many of their agents shared this impossible desire, only hornai could be hornai. Fortunately she knew how to deal this hand and still maintain the valuable asset.

“We are all one, from the beginning, my child.” She soothed, “And you do greater service to the goddess as a covert. We need a good woman on the inside of the stellar powers, to kill the corruption that has claimed so many.”

Sareena sniffled a bit, she had suspected it was too soon, “I understand, what would you have me do?”

“None is all knowing. You are near to the top, you must get higher, and inform us of their plans regarding our interests.”

“It shall be done.” She stood taller, intent on her new assignment her new reason for being.

“Sareena.” The handler called as she turned away, “Your reward.”

The Blond tossed a small pouch at Sareena who caught it easily. At a nod of permission, she opened it and took out its contents. It was a violet gem that if appraised would be worth more than her yearly pay. On the inside, carefully inscribed by a laser was the crest of the Hornai. If caught with this she could face court marshal again, the hornai were enemies of all the legitimate governments. Sareena bowed respectfully and carefully placed the prized gem back in its pouch, and it went straight into her pocket, the one that zipped.

***

Kobin had gotten really good at not being noticed, you get good when you are a spy. The arrival of Yamoto had set into motion a chain of events that was making it very difficult to do his job. Something had to be done about it, and this little hiccup of a search and seize party had provided the perfect cover to meet up with an informant Escelon, his organization, had sent.

“What is going on Able,” Asked Kobin upon approaching the hastily arranged exchange point, “No one gets this much attention, let alone a pilot?”

Able was about as average as one could get, in any crowd this man would not be noticed, unless he wanted to be. Decked out in his powered armor, only his face, his clean shaven almost statueesc, face was visible. The powered armor was some of the more advanced in the galaxy, he was a warrior/spy.

“The channels to that are tighter that a miser’s sphincter, Baker.” Able shrugged.

“Then why are we meeting? We’re supposed to be on opposite sides.”

From what Kobin could tell from the brief dossier of Able, he was special mobile recon. The kind of people were independent operators going wherever they wanted whenever they wanted, in order to stay ahead of problems. And SMR and regular forces hated each other.

“Yamoto is not supposed to be here, and I need him back in sol sector yesterday, Escelon has him on a tight leash that has been circumvented by The admiralty, we have been working on figuring out what they want that girl for, but as I said, miser’s sphincter.”

“Get to the point SMR, I need to get back to the mess, are you even going to stay for the end?”

“This datapad is for your commodore. If I were you, I would not activate it. And, yes, I’ll kill some nuremar for you.”

“If I can’t look at it, how do I get him to read it?”

“You’re a cat 3, figure it out.” Able shrugged, jumping off the branch to disappear into the jungle below.

“SMRs and spies, I really hate my job.” Kobin groaned rushing into the fray himself. 
© Copyright 2015 Dax (devron at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2033458-Sovreign-PT2