*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2037752-Jane-Austen--April-2015-Newsletter
Rated: E · Essay · Fanfiction · #2037752
Jane Austen's news and also tea with Jane Austen and her characters.
Jane Austen Newsletter April 2015
Author: Princess Megan Rose

Merit Badge in Jane Austen Group
[Click For More Info]

Congratulations on your new "Jane Austen Group" merit badge for your group,  [Link To Item #1992277] ! Thank you for supporting the Writing.Com community with your inspirations, participation and activities. We appreciate it! -SMs

I am happy to announce that The Jane Austen Group is a 2014 Quills Nominee. We didn't win but I am happy that our JA Group is a Nominee. I'll take it. Thanks to who ever nominated us.

April is Poetry Month. Jane Austen wrote poems. Check out Goggle for her poems. They are short but entertaining. I don't know if she has a book of her poems or not but it would be nice to have a book of poems written by her.

What is new in Jane's world? I have a few things to share.

Kate Middleton and Jane Austen are 11th cousins. Imagine my surprise when I read this. How lucky can you get? Kate being a Princess and a cousin to Jane Austen, I would call that lucky. I would be happy being a Princess and cousin to Jane.

"Northanger Abbey" is considered a gothic novel. I can see why. It is cool and eerie. The castle in the movie looks spooky but I could live there.

Jane Austen's picture is in on a Bank Note. She replaces Charles Irwin on the note. I would say this is a good call. I would love to be in England and using this for money especially buying items at The Jane Austen Gift Store.
Pound note of Jane Austen.

A watercolor portrait of Jane Austen sold for $270,600 at Sotheby's in London. Wouldn't it be nice to own this portrait? Jane's sister Cassandra painted pictures of Jane Austen all the time and this is one of the portraits that she had painted.

A lay called: "The Elliots" based on Jane's novel "Perusuian" is now being shown in England. So is "Pride and Prejudice" which is now a musical.

Since I have a thing for tea sets and cherish my Jane Austen Tea Set gift from my friend Minya, I have been reading about tea.

** Image ID #2035537 Unavailable **


In Jane Austen's novels and letters, she always talked about tea. She drank tea like I drink Diet Pepsi. I drink a lot of it. Jane probably drank a cup of tea when she wrote her novels. Tea was so expensive so the Austens just drank it with the family and didn't offer it to visitors. Tea was a luxury back then.

Does anyone drink coffee in Jane's novels? No, tea was their choice of drink. When Mr. Collins thought of being married to Elizabeth Bennett, he thought of her and Lady Catherine drinking tea together. Elizabeth? Perish the thought. She would rather have thrown the tea on them but why waste a good cup of tea? She didn't marry Mr. Collins.

Jane drank sugar in her tea. When the peddler came to the door selling tea, there were three choices. Jane bought these and waited until she could go to town to buy other flavors. Tea sold for six shillings a pound. Tea was a precious commodity.

When Catherine Morland was sent home from "Northanger Abbey", her mother made her a cup of tea first thing. Like tea could cure a broken heart. When Emma offered Mrs. Bates coffee, Mrs. Bates said that only tea would do.

Mr. Darcy drank tea at breakfast as he was thinking about Elizabeth. Darcy and Elizabeth drank tea together at her mother's house as well. They may even drank tea after they got engaged.

I would imagine that the women served tea at charity functions, visiting friends and if they had wedding and bridal showers, tea was probably served then, too. Any occasion was probably an invitation to tea back then.

I found this information in "Tea With Jane Austen" By: Kim Wilson I love this book It is very nicely written.

** Image ID #2035547 Unavailable **

I have these items to share.
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2035379 by Not Available.

Challenge No. 3--Flash Discussion  (E)
My ideas on having become introduced to Jane Austen novels.
#2036062 by VictoriaMcCullough


We have more group members I am happy to announce. Be sure to check out these items:
GROUP
Jane Austen Group  (E)
This group is for all those who love Jane Austen. Nominated for a Quill 2014 ,2016 &2018
#1992277 by Princess Megan Rose

FORUM
Jane Austen Meeting Place  (ASR)
A place to meet other members and write about what you love about Jane Austen.
#1992432 by Princess Megan Rose

FORUM
Jane Austen Writing Challenge  (ASR)
A Writing Challenge for all Jane Austen Fans.
#2017404 by Princess Megan Rose


Jane Austen Fans, I will be back in a few weeks with another newsletter. You can always e-mail me with Jane Austen news or what is ever on your mind.!

** Image ID #2035548 Unavailable **
** Image ID #2035540 Unavailable **
** Image ID #2035543 Unavailable **



© Copyright 2015 Princess Megan Rose (tigger at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2037752-Jane-Austen--April-2015-Newsletter