*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2039618-Discovering-Aelyria
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Mink
Rated: E · Other · Fantasy · #2039618
A story overcoming our fears to save those we love, and seeing both the dark and light.
Wyvern eagerly bounded through the small green faded gate. As she pushed it, the gate chipped a few green flakes of paint onto the dew filled grass. She didn't notice, her small features were pulled into desperate determination. She flung open the ivy covered door to the tiny cottage. “Nana?” she called, then again. She called to each of the cupboards and closets. “Nana, come out.” As if her grandmother might just be hiding in one of her ornate hat boxes. After a thorough search of the two room abode, Wyvern plopped down to the floor. Despair raged through her body, finally comprehending the loss. Laying down, tear stained, she fell asleep.

“Wyvern get your sorry behind down here. Now.” Wyvern grunted rolling over and trying to grasp at the last glimpses of sleep. “I know you're up. Get up you lazy bag of bones.” Wow, Maria was in a foul mood today. Wyvern rolled over and reluctantly pulled herself out of bed. She threw the blankets back on the bed haphazardly. Then she pulled a green hoodie over her head, and tugged on the faded jeans from yesterday. Stumbling into the kitchen, she nearly plowed Maria over. Maria stood in the kitchen, hands on hips, “what in the devil's name took you soo long?” This would probably been funny if Maria hadn't nearly screamed it at her. “You're going to be late, here's some toast, go!” Wyvern lingered, nibbling the toast gingerly. She didn't see why it mattered so much, she wasn't going to score. She wasn't even sure she wanted to. Maria glared at Wyvern's underwhelming face, “I did not work my rear end off for ten and a half years, just for you to blow this chance by being late. Maria grabbed her shoulders and steered her out the door. Sunlight glinted off her chest, she'd forgotten to remove her grandmother's pendant. Jewelry was an absolute no at Lempt School for Young Ladies. She considered turning back to put the pendant back into its appropriate place in her dresser. Instead she tucked the pendant under her shirt, the two dragons that circled each other on the pendant appeared to be smiling. Wyvern brushed the thought off as she ran to the bus stop. Smiling pendants, just another thing for the school psych to find ill at ease. Ally and Remy waved as she approached, “you're here on time for a change. Got another appointment with Ms.Loonybin? Ally asked. That was the nickname they had given the school psych. Wyvern shrugged. She didn't like admitting to seeing a shrink, but after her grandmother's untimely disappearance, well, they required her to check in. No matter how many times she had tried to convince them she was handling it and was moving on, Ms.Loony never believed her. At least she never stopped getting scheduled in the next week. Remy looked her up and down, “Wyvern I swear, would it have killed you to brush your hair, we are being scored today you know.” Remy produced a small pocket size hairbrush and began to tame Wyvern's loose tangle of black curls. As the bus pulled into the school's drive Remy turned to Ally, “You'd think today of all days, you'd think she'd be prepared.” Then she turned back to Wyvern, “It's like you don't want to score.” Wyvern sighed, Remy was a great friend, but could be a little over the top. She'd met both Remy and Ally the first day she'd started here. When she had lived with her grandmother, she'd been home-schooled. After her grandmother had vanished, the social worker in charge had demanded she be enrolled. Maria hadn't argued. As a foster parent she was mostly okay, but she worked full time as a secretary at the bank. No time to home-school a 6 year old. She'd been nervous walking up the same marble stairs she was walking up now. In her first class however, Ally had taken her under her wing. Ally was bigger than Wyvern, and she had no qualms about shoving back anyone that shoved either of them.
© Copyright 2015 Mink (stephjbean at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2039618-Discovering-Aelyria