*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2041735-Chapter-2-Black-Bag
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #2041735
The Council for traveling off Blulan is addressed regarding the Archer System.
The outer waiting area of the council chambers were packed with people wanting to sign up in order to present a case for action before the group of presiding men and women responsible for major travels off the planet. Walls were alternating colors of blue, green, and purple while the lighting was dim enough that no one was blind by the wave. The moment I arrived I began listening and talking with as many people as I could while making my way to the sign in desk. From the conversations of the crowd, I was able to gather that many others were in fact witnesses to the beginning of the extinction of Archer. A small wave of relief washed over me as I realized I was wrong to think that I was the only one to be moved to action; women spoke highly of how this was the chance to actually be a people known for their courage and not their expansive fears of anything that remotely looking dangerous. Everyone, but me, was dressed in their best cloth, elders shining brightly in yellow while the younger generations were swath in red.

The noise level was high with the chatter of anticipation as everyone was rehearsing their determination to finally get the council to see things their way. And I was in high demand since I’ve been at meetings to lend a helping hand longer than anyone else. Questions of what had been covered and the response that the council had given came from nearly everyone. A few of us continued to talk before actually putting our name in the holosystem as well as afterward until the time permitted no more. Soft music began playing signalizing the official start of the day. With this small gathering of over two hundred beside me I realized that the tough part would be convincing Jerrod, the leading chairperson, who was starting to forget that an alien race came and place him in his position, that the time to be proactive had passed. All could be hoped for now was a solid response which detailed a rescue mission to rival all rescue missions.

While still in conversation I herded my group toward the two main, arched, bright blue, marbleized doors with emblems of the suns on them. According to ritual, before we sat down we all began saying walking prayers and oaths to the Divine Matrix for help in accomplishing the right thing. I was proud that everyone was taking this so seriously.

The main floor layout was a semi-circle with thirty pews, each could seat up to nine fully grown individuals, sitting in three rows of ten. At the front of the room was three benches each section having a basket that held enough holographic files to keep an official busy for years. As we entered deeper inside and began taking our assigned seats, we could see the council members huddled in a corner, deep in conversation about the day’s concern no doubt; every once in a while one or two would glance at the crowd. Out of the entire gathering, on both sides of the equation, the person that caught and held my attention was my father-in-law, Neigvon, advisor to the Leading Chairperson. Normally he speaks against me and side with the council but considering that he is an avid star watcher and was the Leading Chairperson when my father and our people arrived on this planet things may be different today. Neigvon didn’t scare easy and stood his ground when it came to his people even against former mentees. Finally we all had taken our seats filling up the first row meaning my father-in-law had to stand.

The process is simple, slowly you walk before the council, plead your case and then go to the adjoined waiting room where the council’s individual response will be given before the day is out. One by one the room spoke on the resources available including information, knowledge, people, supplies, and time- the voice of those concerned about council enough to be there wanted to help the Archer System. By the time, my turn had arrived council was already declaring an opinion on some of the requests and there was little left for me to say. I walked before the benches with all twenty members and fifteen advisors staring at me. There was tension in the room as they were tired of this subject that had bottlenecked the proceeding for almost two years now, but I carried forward.

“A’ Dion is here to explain what our people couldn’t; are you not A’ Dion?” Said Councilmember Jarrod. A round man with brownish skin, big round eyes, and a set of full lips. Being that he has held his position so long he doesn’t astral project like the others anymore and even a child can make himself invisible better than Jerrod can. Many say it’s due to his lax attitude, but I say it’s because he doesn’t fear the way he use too. A good thing but displayed in a bad way.

“As you have been told we need to send ships to rescue the people who are freezing and will be totally without even body heat soon. Death is a must if someone doesn’t do something. Routes have already been planned out. Volunteers have put up their names. And everyone who watches the skies know of the need to get this done before there won’t even be an opportunity.” I almost began to roll my eyes, but the dire of this situation made me think twice. But my request couldn’t change. It wouldn’t change because my people care enough to lend a hand whether in peace or strife.

“Do we really need to tell you? Of all people, have you not heard what we’ve been saying during the past couple of years? We can do nothing for them as resources are not what the people would lead you to think. We have our own population to concern ourselves with as we too will one day see our home fall from existence. Most of the people do not care about Archer contrary to the couple hundred people you managed to speak on your behalf. Sorry, A’ Dion but my hands are tied as the Matrix has written the fate of the Archer System long ago.” Jarrod barely acknowledged me with a glance of concern then waved his hand dismissively.

“We should listen to the boy.” Said Neigvon. “Last night death crept closer than the general populous knows and trust me we wouldn’t want to be the receiving end of one of those massive burn outs making us the ones needing help and because of our actions with the Archer System no one come to answer our call.” He was standing. “Jerrod let’s see if we can spare a ship or two and help Archer. I have never been one to think that ‘fate’ determine the fate of anyone. We make our own destiny and what was done yesterday do not influence today. Why don’t we vote on it?”

Jerrod turned his head toward my father-in-law with the biggest look of bewilderment. The other councilmembers took notice to the fact that I was still before them so they were too busy to address Neigvon. There were a few people still needing to talk to the council and all of them were people who, like me, also felt their concern was of life and death. This is why I chose to remain until I’m instructed in the most diplomatic way to leave before security escort me out. Only four years had passed since my father removed all but a few from this entire planet and none of us concerned ourselves too deeply with council matters. It was simple reasoning due to the belief that the Blulanions had learned how to coordinate rescue missions and the best thing was to leave them to their own accord, hoping that they would one day become strong allies in this fight to transplant the people of the universe to the outer limits of the multiverses.

“Neigvon,” said Jarrod. “No one is saying that Archer doesn’t deserve help only that we can’t help.”

“I would have agreed with you yesterday or the day before but I know that we can do something because no one else is.” Neigvon replied.

“We are just a worker not an overseer.” Said Jarrod.

“Another thing I would have agreed upon in days past. Let us vote and see how the entire council feel about this. What say the advisors?” Neigvon looked at the others but the advisors lowered their heads and gave no response. My father-in-law sat down knowing he wasn’t going to get his vote.

I knew that if my father knew what was going on he would bring hell’s fury upon these people. So, I stood there defiant of the customs of bringing only what the council can bare and accepting a refusal with grace and dignity. Never before has such an act been recorded in Blulanion history has one man defied tradition the way I did and would continue to unless I received justice.

I stepped up as far as I could and I pulled off my shirt and let my wings out. The gasps in the room let me know that there was still a little hesitation in regards to crossing my people and council had forgotten who and what I am.

“Angel. Please, we are trying to save lives here.” Said Councilmember Patrice.

“I am not an angel and far from saving lives is what the council is doing.” We hate the identification with the mythical creatures of the earthlings and a vote wasn’t being placed before the bench.

Many of the remaining people in the chambers started to astral project themselves away from the confrontation leaving their bodies unguarded. I could tell that it was taking much nerves for all of the councilmembers to remain present and visible as the fear pulsated across their faces. I did it only to get attention and to see how fixated they were in their position, it was the first time I took such measures. The walls turned green from the body heat that they were giving off. Finally Jerrod put down his pad, cleared his throat, and gave his pronouncement.

“You are here in peace. Peace means following the customs and ways of our people. Now we don’t see how we can be of any assistance to the Archer System. Theirs is a destiny that is filled with death as your people haven’t assisted them. Members correct me if I’m wrong. Speak as this will be the decision of the chambers.” Jerrod looked up and down the benches and all heads were bobbing in agreement.

“What are you afraid of? Were you not saved?” My limbs was animated with frustration and desperation. My eyes red with anger and traces of hate. I knew that I had better leave before I did something that I would forget.

“I am done with this. Every day for the past eight days you have come in here and spoke on behalf of the beings of Archer.” Patrice was looking me in the eyes to the best of her ability. “I can’t speak for everyone but believe me when I say if I could do something without harming Blulan I would.”

At that I let it go because the Blulanions forget that it was my people who showed them how to build electric spaceships and shared our maps of their universe all with the understanding that they were to help others as they left their doomed planets. We the first creations are watching our universe being wiped out and as the most advanced we have been going back and helping others and our instructions are clear—help who you can. With their abilities by design they wouldn’t have to physically go to the planets of Archer. They could use the maps and project themselves where they need to be. I calmed down thinking about my actions then walked out the council area once again feeling defeated and lost. I didn’t even go in the waiting area because this time I knew that their refusal wasn’t personal it was simply fearfulness. I finally get my father-in-law to back me and the entire council is shut down to the ideal of being more than a race of beings that hide and run. At this moment I chose not to even pull my wings back in, let them be afraid.

The matrix is feeling all and the Blulanians can’t take thisr time to shine. It is not when you are without fear that you are courageous but when you’re so afraid that you pee your pants and do what is right anyway. The streets were warmer as the high noon brought with it a temperature that should have graced the morning light. I understand their fear, truly I do but there are at least 200 people, my wife, and now my father-in-law who are able and willing to stand up and they are no different from the members and advisors. When I got back to the lot I was glad that missing was the younglings who are watching and fear not harm of a rescue mission. To them I was a hero but right now I feel like anything but.

I didn’t even get in my transporter. I took to the sky and went back home.

My wife was waiting and upon seeing my expression she knew that I wasn’t able to convince the council. She pulled me close and whispered, “We’ll convince them before it’s too late. I know it.” I can’t even respond I’m hurt and the only person I want to talk to is my father.

I go over to the holographic communication machine and say these simple words, “Dad, I need you. The Archer System is dying and no one here wants to so anything.” Then the message was sent.

My wife knows that my calling him will bring an element that all were trying to avoid. But we need the council to see things our way. There had to be a group that is willing to go within this solar system and help the people. But how would we get the ships? I cross the room to the window and pull my telescope darkness is now closing upon us and I sigh for I understand finally what Jerrod, Patrice, and the others are afraid of. I’m certain that after I left and the proceedings ended my father-in-law gave the skies a look over once more.

I’ll allow myself this moment of sadness. It will be my last as I know that I can make a difference. I will go back in time and help the Archer System as we have helped others. It makes no sense to allow countless beings to die.

“I’m going to travel back in time.” I tell my wife.

“Even if you do you won’t be able to help that way. Archer is a primitive system and they will mistake you more than my father did when your father first arrived.”

“I have to take a chance. I can’t leave this in the hands of the council for they want nothing but to save their own skin. I need your help but you can’t tell no one not even Neigvon.”

“What will you do? How do you think one person can save an entire solar system? This is madness. Strictly madness. I beg of you to sleep on it then make a decision.” Tears were in her eyes and she stared to become invisible. It was this reaction that let me know that I had to go back in time, just a little bit, and help. It was this reaction that was pulling my heart in two.
© Copyright 2015 Andielle (andielle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2041735-Chapter-2-Black-Bag