*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2044026-the-dunes
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Relationship · #2044026
dreams in detail.
I sat atop the tallest dune at what appeared to be honeyman state park, hot summer wind whipping around anything that stood against it. The sky looked much more like winter than summer, a strange marriage of cloudy and hot. I sat there, scanning the horizon, sparkling water and dunes for miles.....empty and distant. I could feel it coming, knowing these things sometimes started this way, always devoid of people it would seem more often than not.

You had to be here somewhere, wandering just out of sight. The wind tugged at my shirt violently as I looked around. I saw what at first appeared to be another person and was quickly deflated to find that it was only a small tree down by the water. "voyage home" by Jan Hammer was stuck in my head as the light began to fade, the air seemed to grow warmer as the wind slowed a bit. It looked almost dusk now, as I stood. I looked around again, desolate in all directions as I moved down the dune, feet sinking into the warm sand as gravity pulled me forward. I stopped half way and looked up at the sky, clouds moving quickly across the patchy expanse.

Looking forward again, I was greeted with the same scene.....empty. Where were you?......I could feel you here somewhere. I lurched forward, kicking up sand to be pushed around by the wind. I reached the water's edge and stopped, scanning the oddly glass like surface, odd given the wind. I felt like it could be solid, looked as if one could walk right onto it and play Jesus. I extended my foot and touched it, my toe causing a perfect ripple that began spreading out across the vastness of it. This perfect ripple never dissipating, slowly growing.....rolling outward. I stood watching, mesmerized by it, waiting for it's possible return.

"ohhhh cool"....a familiar lilt came from behind me, making me jump.

I turned to see you there, white dress being teased by the wind. I smiled.

"There you are"......I said, knowingly.

You smiled and stepped forward, holding out your hand. You held a beautiful salamander in your palm, a squirming, multi-colored specimen. I was transfixed on this flashing little creature as you spoke again.

"I found him by the water....here"...........Your voice soft with pleasure.

"yes".....I responded, trance like.

You walked to the water's edge, kneeling to release him there. He walked off the pale skin of your palm and slowly vanished into the depths, flashing and turning colors as he went. Your black hair at the mercy of the wind, you stood and turned to me, smiling....almost glowing. You extended the other hand and opened it to reveal a small rock.

"This one sings"......you whispered in an offering tone.

I stood there dumbly, your hair in your face for a moment before flowing in the other direction again. You lifted your dress slightly as you stepped forward, placing the rock to my ear and leaning into the other to whisper....."Listen"
The song that had been in my head was louder now, the rock vibrating with it. I was acutely aware of your physical presence, your sweet familiar scent washing over me as your hair brushed over my face and back again. We stood as such for a few minutes. I reached up and cupped your hand , pressing it to my fevered cheek. You smiled, kissing me softly on the lips and withdrawing your hand.

"You love it here".....you whispered.

"Yes"....I answered.

"I know.....you love me too"......you tilted your head slightly, smiling all the while.

"Yes".......I said.

You lifted your dress with both hands and turned away, slowly walking up the dune from which I had come. I watched as you crested the top and turned. You did not wave, dress and hair still being teased by the wind as you paused there. Then the melancholy washed over me as you turned and vanished into the sands. I was alone again in my dream. After a few moments, I looked down to see the rock you had made sing, sand being blown around it's tiny shape. I knelt and picked it up, placing it to my ear...............the music was gone.....as was the magic.
© Copyright 2015 history's bend (historysbend at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2044026-the-dunes