*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2056886-Prompt8-Every-Silver-LiningCloud
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #2056886
Getting out of class was never easier, or more deadly
Word Count: 500 of 500 MAX
DAY 8 Prompt: Every Silver Lining has its Cloud

         Connor wasn’t a bad kid, at least no worse than any of the other young nobles that resided at Lord Darius’ castle. Its just that the day was hot and he knew he wasn’t any good at archery. It was a wasted lesson on him and the other boys would snicker and make fun. No, even though what he had done was in poor character as his father was prone to say, he knew it was better this way. Tell a simple little white lie and now he’d be spending the day doing light duty in the kitchen and eating his belly full of sweet treats.

         As always, the kitchen was moving with its usual hustle and scurrying about. Cooks and servants raced back and forth carrying pots, pans and trays loaded with foods in various stages of preparedness. It wasn’t hard to find Miss Holly. All he had to do was listen for her high pitched voice. It had the ability to cut through the loudest noises. The boys liked to refer to the kitchen overseer as Miss Holler.

         “I need everything to be perfect, David. His Grace called for the council early this morning. I’ve got a whole lot of mouths to feed.”

         David leaned in close so only Miss Holly could hear him. “We’ve all heard about it, Miss Holly. What’s going on? If anyone knows its you.”

         Miss Holly glared at him for a minute before also taking on a conspiratorial tone. “Keep your mouth shut about it, but rumor is someone tried to poison His Grace last night.”

         David looked shocked. “How’s that possible? How’d anyone get in? That can’t be true.”

         “Don’t know. I hear he spilled a cup of wine by accident and one of the dogs got to it. Apparently it died in a matter of minutes. They’re keeping it real hush hush like but if I was a betting woman I’d say he’s preparing for war.”

         Miss Holly noticed movement from the corner of her eye. A young boy stood off to the side looking around. “You there. What’s your name?”

         “Connor, Miss Holly”, he said stepping forward.

         “What are you doing here?”

         His eyes darted back and forth before answering. “Master Sergeant sent me.”

         Miss Holly looked him up and down. “You’ll do boy.” She lifted a platter loaded with pastries and steaming meats. “Take this to The Hall and tell Master Payne I sent you.”

         Connor hurried off, the aromas from the platter making his mouth water. The Hall was full of strangers talking in excited voices. It took several minutes to weave through the crowd and reach Master Payne, advisor to Duke Darius.

         “Master Payne," Connor breathed, “Miss Holly sent me.”

         The old man gestured to a table and Connor set the tray down. “What is your name?”

         “Connor, sir, clan Darkbriér.”

         “Your clan shall be honored greatly for your sacrifice.”

         “Sir?”

         “Volunteering as His Grace’s taster. It shows amazing steadfast courage during these dark times.”

         “Um…what?”
© Copyright 2015 Cupadraig~The Remote Country (cupadraig at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2056886-Prompt8-Every-Silver-LiningCloud