*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2057089-Prompt9-We-Got-This
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #2057089
A Princess discovers a new friend
Word Count: 498 of 500 MAX
DAY 9 Prompt: We Got This

Princess Lizbeth sat down on a moss covered log and sighed. All around her, girls giggled and ran about, chasing butterflies or searching under rocks for scurrying critters. Standing in the middle of them all was Master Hendlmánn, their fourth year teacher. He was pointing, admonishing one student or another for whatever reason. He spied Lizbeth and stomped over.

“With respect, your Highness, you aren’t going to find a suitable subject for your lessons sitting down.” He looked around waving his arms wide. “Most of the others have already finished.”

The princess picked herself up and again sighed. “Of course, Master Hendlmánn.”

“Thank you, your Highness.” He turned and stomped off towards a group of four girls crowded together whispering in a tight circle. “What’s going on over here?” She heard him call as he walked away.

She sat back down with a thud. Something moved inside the log and made a soft mewling. Cautiously she moved over to the log’s opening and squatted down. There was a pile of leaves blanketing the bottom of the log. Something stirred under them. She used a twig to brush the leaves aside. At first she thought she’d found a butterfly. She gently picked it up and realized her mistake.

Lizbeth held her breath when the dragon raised its head and looked at her. It was the size of a butterfly and looked just as delicate. It lay curled in a ball trying to keep in heat. It felt the warmth of her hands and stretched in delight. Its body was a deep purple but as it moved, pinks and blues rippled over it scales. It flapped its wings in bright swirls of yellows and purples. A light dust blew off and into the air. It sparkled in the sunlight and made faint twinkling music as it floated away.

One wing hung lower than the other and Lizbeth realized it was hurt. She cupped the poor thing and held it close so it was sheltered against her chest. She felt someone watching and spun around.

“What have you there, your Highness?”

Princess Lizbeth held out her hands and showed Master Hendlmánn her dragon.

“Oh my, what a wonderful find. Poor thing, I see she’s injured.”

“How do you know its a girl?”

“Do you see the patterns on her wings?” He pointed at the identical swirls on both wings. “Males don’t have matching patterns, each wing is different. Therefore, this one is female.”

He leaned in close to study it. “It is a butterfly dragon. Some people call them faerie dragons.” He reached out a finger and stroked its neck. “They are very social creatures.”

Master Hendlmánn stood up and folded his arms. “She’s hurt and will require a lot of attention to nurse her back to health. Do you think you’re ready for this?”

Princess Lizbeth stared down at the small dragon, HER dragon. When she looked back up she was smiling and laughing. “Oh, yes sir. I’ve got this!”
© Copyright 2015 Cupadraig~The Remote Country (cupadraig at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2057089-Prompt9-We-Got-This