*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2061067-The-Broken-Dream
by akshay
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #2061067
A dream she could never forget
The audience clapped as she twirled in the center of the stage surrounded by her team. People started standing up in appreciation as the music slowly came to halt. She was bowing to the audience. It was all very bright but one particular light was too bright to handle and it was slowly moving towards her. The light was gaining speed towards her, she was unable to comprehend what was happening? The sound of applause was slowly changing to raging noise of horns and cars. And then suddenly that light crashed into her, the sounds came to a halt. There was glass all over her from the broken windshield.

"Mam, mam" she heard a man's voice echoing very close to her. She couldn't see where the sound was coming from. A jerk on the shoulder finally woke her up and the dream was broken. There was sweat on her face, she was relieved that she woke up. A backstage staff boy was staring at her. "Mam, the show is over. Would you like to meet the performers backstage?" he asked. "Yes...., yes of course" she said still recovering from the dream.

She felt embarrassed partly because she fell asleep during a performance where she was one of the Chief Guests and partly because she thought she was too under-dressed for the event. Her cheap nylon saree was no match for the event, but that was the best she could manage.

She met the performers and gave them her best compliments. They were all very happy and were heading out for a celebration so she didn't take much of their time. As she made her way out of the auditorium she paused at one photograph in the gallery. "Best Group Performance 1998" was etched on the wooden frame. A tear rolled out her left eye as she looked at her younger self collecting an award from the governor. She clutched hard onto her crutches and slowly moved out of the auditorium.

© Copyright 2015 akshay (akshay89 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2061067-The-Broken-Dream