*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2061368-October-14th-assignment
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Assignment · Other · #2061368
Filipa was Queen of Portugal... 600 years ago... now she runs a B&B.
Wednesday, Oct. 14 Assignment:

A slight problem with this assignment, João is the main character; there is no one "secondary" important character. He meets many. Therefore, I have decided to focus on some of the most important people he meets in Part 1 of 3.

*Bullet* Required: Minor #1 Profile ▼

Complete a character profile of any additional protagonist, antagonist, or minor character, whom we will call Minor #1. Add the profile to your character database (if applicable.)

For purposes of this October 14th assignment I flesh out Filipa and Anacleto.

Filipa (Lagos): both fictional and real. (1360 - 1415 "died" from the plague; mother of Henry-the-Navigator; wife of João Ist.) Taste of doce fino. Smell of sunshine. Sound of laughter. Sight of thin-faced. Touch of clean linen. Present day Filipa is warm, friendly, knowledgeable, organized, genuine, the goddess of the hostel world. The only sad fact? She closes in winter (to visit the world). She has a close knit family, one that is open and friendly as well. She inspires.

Aurelie (Lisboa):

Nelson (Évora):

Burçay (Coimbra):

Iván (Lisboa, Santiago de Campostela):

Pilar (A Coruña):

Rosa (João's great-grandmother):

Thoom (ancient vampire):

Lucinda (from back story c. 1897, may show up in Belmonte in Part 3):

Anacleto (Évora): fictional. Sad and patient, weary. Taste of pork. Smell of dust (yes, a cliché). Sound of chimes. Sight of white clothes. Touch of porcelain. He seems ageless... but 30ish. Non-descript, he looks local. He wears white and blends into the white buildings. His voice tinkles which is always a surprise; those he meets may remember only this. He was mortal... until he got bit. Right blood and a touch of love = he didn't die. Which sounds like good news but it isn't. He wants to die.


*Bullet* Bonus: Minor #1 Voice ▼

Have your character introduce themselves to us in first person using their own voice. Brainstorm ways to make their voice unique. Add the introduction to your character database (if applicable.)

For purposes of the October 14th assignment I have chosen Anacleto and Filipa. But... each and every character must have a voice as this work is character driven.


Filipa (Lagos):

It was easy being subservient when I was queen. I was young! Sure, I walked behind the king on his horse. Yes, I would gladly have ridden too. But it was a different time and I've always managed to live according to the time. I was fond of João, proud of my sons. The World became a different place. Later, in Scotland, in France I kept to myself. I learned what I could but kept this knowledge in my heart. As a woman I could easily be pointed out and made to pay the price of my gender. I stayed in nunneries a few times. The peace and quiet of the Carmelites let me rest for a century or two. Even then I served. Since, I have traveled the world. There are few places unknown to me. Now the world comes to me. I serve those who would make this small planet a better place. When I see there bright lights, I nurture their flame.


Aurelie (Lisboa):

Nelson (Évora):

Burçay (Coimbra):

Iván (Lisboa, Santiago de Campostela):

Pilar (A Coruña):

Rosa (João's great-grandmother):

Thoom (ancient vampire):

Lucinda (from back story c. 1897, may show up in Belmonte in Part 3):

Anacleto (Évora) Part 1 and maybe Part 3.

I was young and foolish and attractive to this lively girl, Françoise. I gave her a whirl and she gave me a love-bite. We stayed together for a long while until I got ill. No energy and I couldn't work out in the sun. Then she told me her secrets. We parted on good terms but I was devastated. War and time kept us apart. She went to Canada. I went to Morocco, then Tunisia, to Egypt and finally to Turkey. I made new friends wherever I went but to watch all those you love pass away renders the heart helpless and hopeless. "Without love, there isn't life; without love it's time to die." I came to Évora when I heard that Françoise was ill and wanted to die. I came here to say goodbye. I killed her out of love. Now I wait to die. It's been many years. I sell flowers: orchids, gladiolas, red carnations... and wait.
© Copyright 2015 Kåre Enga in Udon Thani (enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2061368-October-14th-assignment