*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2061817-Anniversary-Flowers
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #2061817
An anniversary gift from a deceased husband. Written for "Daily Flash Fiction Challenge"
John Pierce loved his job. He spent his day driving a florist’s truck. He was a mentally challenged, high functioning man of 22, who loved making people happy. When he delivered flowers people were almost always happy.
John stepped off his truck with a bouquet of flowers and found his nostrils filled with the smell of fresh baked bread. He was in front of Burleson’s Bakery.
He entered the bakery saw a woman behind the counter crying. “I am looking for Candace,” John said.
“I’m Candace,” she said sniffling.
“What’s wrong?” John asked. He asked lots of questions.
“A year ago I married my husband Nick. He died in the war two weeks ago. I miss him so.” Candace said with tears.
“They won’t bring your husband back,” John said, “but these are for you.”
Candace seemed to brighten as she took the bouquet. She removed the and read.

My Darling,
As I write this, it is six months before you will read it.
I knew I wouldn’t be with you for our anniversary due to my
deployment. Always remember, I love you.
Happy Anniversary,
Nick

Candace’s eyes brightened, Her sniffles stopped. She looked up at John and smiled.
John smiled back and asked, “Good news?”
“Sort of,” Candace replied. Six months ago my loving husband ordered flowers for me because he knew he wouldn’t be home. He thought of me as he was leaving home.
“That’s neat,” John replied, giving Candace a huge smile. “I better go, more deliveries.”
“Thank you for bringing my flowers,” Candace said. “They make my day better. Nick always brought joy. Today you did too. Would you like some fresh bread before you go?”
“Sure.” As he took a bite John smiled. It felt good helping turn Candace’s day from tears to smiles.
© Copyright 2015 J. Keith Broyles (jkbroy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2061817-Anniversary-Flowers