*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2063922-The-Freak-Party-Backfire
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2063922
Prae isn't a twin - like everyone else on her planet. She's a Freak.

The Freak Party Backfire


     The planet of Weidim was a twin planet. Everyone on there had a twin. Well, almost everyone. If you didn’t have a twin, you were considered a Freak. That was true when it came to Prae.

     “I don’t want to go to the party,” said Prae. She was in her Sleeping Room with her two best friends – twins Kalli and Halla.

     “You have to go,” said Kalli. “Everyone is going to be there.”

     “That’s one of the reasons why I’m not going there,” said Prae. “Everyone else is going to be there. Why can’t we have a party by ourselves.”

     “If it were a normal Party we would,” said Halla. “But it’s not.”

     “It’s the Costume Party of the year,” said Kalli. “We only celebrate it once a year. You have to go to it.”

     “I’m still not going,” said Prae. “And there is nothing you can say to make me change my mind.”

     While they were talking all three girls were getting ready for the party. Despite all her objections even Prae was getting ready for it. Prae was getting dressed up as a Fairy Clown. Kalli was going to be a Goblin Witch. Halla was becoming a Vampire Elf.

     “You need to get out more,” said Halla. “We are thirteen-year-old girls. And we should be acting like it.”

     “I’m a Freak,” said Prae. “And everyone at the party knows I’m a Freak.”

     “So, you’re a Freak. Who cares,” said Kalli. “Like you said everyone knows it. And they don’t care if you are a Freak or not.”

     “That’s not true,” said Prae. “What about Jissa and Tisse?”

     “Jissa and Tisse don’t count,” said Halla. “They think they are better than everyone else.”

     “I still don’t care what you say,” said Prae. “I’m going to be the only Freak there. And I’m not going.”

     “No, you’re not. There are going to be a lot of Freaks there,” said Kalli. Halla gave Kalli a dirty look that could kill. But Prae didn’t notice it.

     “Who else is coming? I’m the only Freak in this part of the Community,” said Prae.

     “I don’t know,” said Halla. “We just heard that there would be. So you have to come.”

     “You want to come,” said Kalli. If you didn’t then why are you getting ready for it.

     “It’s a trick,” said Prae. “I didn’t even realize what you two were doing.”

     All three girls looked in the Full Length Reflector. They all looked very cute – but hideous. “You are going to be the best looking Freak at this party,” said Halla.

<<<<<*>>>>>

     Kalli, Halla and Prae were three of the last Weidimans to show up at that party. They would have gotten there earlier but they had to wait for Prae’s brothers to get home from whatever practice they were at that day. She never understood the games they play in.

     Prae also didn’t understand why her brothers were twins but she didn’t have one. “Why are Rayyin and Grayyim twins but not me,” thought Prae. She always thought about that whenever she saw them.

     That year the theme of the Costume Party was Death. Each year it’s different. And that year it was scary. The three girls fit right in with the others at that party. Everyone else there looked as bad, and evil, as they did. So did the old building they were in.

     There was about a hundred people at that party. And it was a typical Young Teen party. The boys were hanging with the boys. And the girls were mingling among the other girls. There was some dancing, and all of them were listening to the Loud Music, but that was about it. Not much of a party if you asked Prae.

     Prae looked around at the other guest trying to find the other Freaks that Kalli and Halla said would be there. But she couldn’t find any. Some of them were obvious twins. They even dressed up similarly. But most couldn’t be seen behind the make-up or the mask.

     Jissa and Tisse were at the only entrance/exit to that room. After getting everyones attention Jissa said, “It looks like every is here.”

     “Let’s get the real party going,” said Tisse. “I hope everyone brought a Freak with them to the party.”

     Prae looked at Kalli and Halla with a hurt, and angry, look in her eye. “So that’s why you wanted me to come to this party badly.”

     “I’m sorry,” said Kalli. “But we had to do it.”

     “You know how Jissa and Tisse are when you don’t have to do it,” said Halla. “It was either do it – or get beat to death.”

     Prae didn’t say a word. She just ran out of there – with tears in her eye. And she ran all the way home. Prae didn’t even try to contact her brothers.

<<<<<*>>>>>

     After getting home Prae went right to her Sleeping Room. She was still crying on her Sleeper a couple of hours later when Kalli and Halla came in.

     “You shouldn’t have left the party so quickly,” said Kalli. “If you hadn’t you wouldn’t have missed the best part.”

     “When all the masks and make-up was removed everyone got a big surprise,” said Halla. “Even Jissa and Tisse were shocked.”

     Prae wasn’t even listening. At least it didn’t look like she was. She was laying head down on her Sleeper crying so loud they could have heard her in the next Community twenty miles away.

     “We didn’t come alone,” said Kalli. “I, we, thought she might cheer you up.” Both Kalli and Halla gestured toward to the door. And a girl walked it. At least it looked like a girl from the waist down.

     “Her name is Drae,” said Halla. “And her family just moved here about a month ago.”

     Prae didn’t look. If she had of looked up she would have seen herself. She did have a twin after all.


The End?


© Copyright 2015 PureSciFi (spacefaction at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2063922-The-Freak-Party-Backfire