*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2067993-Origin-Updated
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #2067993
The origin of a character I made named Drake.
There exist infinite dimensions, and travel between these dimensions is almost impossible. Many advanced civilizations that have discovered the technology to open portals between these dimensions don't actually use it, since they are afraid of what they will find on the other side. But there are those who are either brave, or foolish enough to use the technique they've discovered to go traveling through these dimensions. Drake is the only person alive anywhere who can travel with his own power. He doesn't require advanced technology. He was born in a world very similar to ours, with a few minor differences. He discovered these powers on the day where his world was destroyed.
On that day, he was sitting in a lecture for advanced mathematics. There were about twenty other students there, and most of them were not paying attention at all, with a few outright sleeping. A couple of people were diligently taking notes, making sure they knew everything that the professor was saying. And Drake himself was not doing anything, daydreaming about what life could be if he lived in a video game.
“Mr. Wilson, would you care to answer the question on the board, or would you rather sleep like Mr. Stevens over there?” the professor said.
Drake glanced up. “The answer is 4,” was all he said, then he went back to not paying attention.
“You’re correct, but that doesn't mean that you can sit there and ignore me all day. Perhaps you could try taking notes,” the professor said.
Drake was thinking of a retort, when the ground shook all of a sudden. Everyone dropped to the ground, but it stopped after only a moment. When it passed, they started getting up, but there was another shake, and they dropped back onto the ground. Drake, instead, ran outside.
What he saw completely shocked him. There were some sort of ship flying through the air, and they were raining bombs, leveling the city. People were running away from the destruction, and he noticed what seemed to be some robot killing those who were running.
The door behind him burst open, and shocked him out of his daze. I gotta get out of here, he thought. He started running, but one of the ships was flying in his direction.
There's no way I can get way from that. It's moving too fast! he thought. The ship was bearing down on the school.
The ship dropped a bom, but when he was supposed to die, he suddenly found himself in the middle of a grassy field. He had no idea how he came to be there, but was grateful that he was alive. He started walking, looking for his home, but he instead came across a small village. He didn't think any of these still existed, let alone be in Massachusetts. Then he started noticing the peculiar stuff, like how everyone was in clothes from the Middle Ages. He went to talk to someone, but everyone ran screaming in some weird language he didn't know. This was where he started to get worried. His world had a unified language, so that everyone could communicate. There hadn't been different languages used since long before he was born. Only one person approached him, and he was a old man.
"Hello, young man", he said.
It surprised Drake that they spoke the same language. "Where am I," he asked.
"Not in your world, if you want to learn what just happened, come with me", was the man’s response. Then the old man just turned and started walking away. Drake really had no choice but to follow. They came to the old man's house, and Drake was worried about whether he had made the correct choice in following this man. The house is quite a ways away from the rest of the village.
"So, why have you brought me here?", he asked.
"I brought you so that the other people wouldn't eavesdrop on what I have to tell you", the old man replied.
"How could they? They can't speak the same language as us. Why is that? There's only one language used in the world now", said Drake.
"Ah, but that is where you are mistaken. This is not your world. I'm using magic so as to speak with you now", the old man said.
"That can't be possible. I can't just end up on some other world for no reason", Drake exclaimed.
"But there is a reason. You are now here because your world was destroyed, and your subconscious couldn't allow you to die. You used your power to come to this world,” he explained calmly.
"Power? What power?"
"The rare power to travel between dimensions naturally", replied the old man. This shocked Drake. He had thought stuff like magic and superpowers were all fantasy.
"So who are you to know all this stuff?"
"I am the world renowned wizard, Merlin. It is my place to know all that I can."
"Merlin? As in the wizard who helped King Arthur claim his throne? But that's only a story."
"That may be in your world, but it is reality here."
"Ok then. Why do I have this power? And how did you know where I was? I just showed up here."
"When holes between dimensions are opened, they create a very specific wave through the two dimensions it connects. I felt that wave when your portal opened."
“You never answered my first question. Why me?” Drake remarked.
“There are many questions that one may ask, but that doesn't mean you will receive an answer,” he said mysteriously.
"So, what should I do now? This isn't my world, and I don't think that I can live here," Drake wondered.
"You won't have time to be worried about that. You need to start your training. No doubt the man who destroyed your world also noticed your leaving. You need to know how to protect yourself and how to fight."
"Training? In what, swords and magic?" Drake joked.
"Exactly. You never know what you'll face, so you need to learn both," Merlin responded seriously.
"And what will I be facing?"
"For the most part, those who would abuse the discovery of dimensional travel. You may be the only one who can travel naturally, but there are others who invented machines to do it for them, and there are forbidden spells that grant this power."
"Was that what..whomever destroyed my world was? Someone who abuses that power?" Drake said worried.
"Yes, Andrew is a warlord who was banished from his own dimension for crimes he committed, and he's been trying to find his way back ever since. He is a destructive human, who's been leaving a path of destruction everywhere he’s gone." Merlin said knowingly.
"How do you know this?"
"I make sure I keep track of threats that could present themselves to the king", Merlin replied.
"Oh, well I always wanted something different to happen in my life. Can't get more different that inter dimensional warlords and magic,” Drake said, accepting his new situation.
With that, Drake had no real other choice but to stay and learn to protect himself and others. He stayed the nights at Merlin’s, since he had nowhere else to go, and the next day he started his training. When he woke up, he threw himself into the work.
Merlin started with teaching him the basics of magic, and he learned fast. By the end of the first day, he had learned the translation spell, so he can talk to the people in this world.
His third day there, he traveled to the castle, to meet the king and start learning sword fighting from the knights. Along the way, he purchased some clothes so that he didn't stick out there. When he came to the castle, he was in awe of the size of it.
The castle stood with 10 ft walls, and the drawbridge was down. Of course, below the bridge is a moat of water, which goes right up against the wall. It seemed deep to Drake since he couldn't see the bottom,must that may have been due to dirty water.
The guard stops him. “Who are you and what do you want here?” he asked.
“I was sent by Merlin to meet the king and learn how to wield a sword from his knights,” Drake said confidently.
“We were told that you were coming. Follow me,” the guard said.
As Drake walked through the courtyard, he looked around in awe.
“What are you staring at, boy? It's just a castle,” the guard said. What he didn't realize was that Drake had never been inside a castle before, since they'd all been destroyed over time or by people in his world.
Looking around, Drake saw that there was more activity in the castle grounds than he had expected. Then again, he hadn't known what to expect when he walked inside, but it wasn't this. There were guards sparring in a practice arena to his left, and a stable on his right where stable hands were taking care of the horses. Servents were running in and out of a door nearby, that presumably led into the kitchen, while what seemed to be a procession of carriages were in front of him.
“Stop dawdling and keep up,” said the guard, who was further away than Drake had thought he was. Drake ran to catch up, running through the castle doors.
He briskly walked through the castle, and soon was standing before two doors that seemed to be made of solid gold.
“This is where I leave you, but remember this,” the guard said in a low voice, ”someone will be watching you, so don't try anything funny. I don't care if you were sent by Merlin, you try something and you will be gutted.”
Drake looked away, knowing that this man spoke the truth, and pushed open the two doors. He walked into a vast chamber, decorated with precious gems and metals, while a throne sat at the furthest end of the room. There were guards lining the sides leading to the throne, and sitting on the throne was King Arthur, ruler of Camelot.
Crap, what do I do? How do I greet a king? Drake thought, as he walked down the center of the room. Maybe I just kneel? I think I've heard somewhere that that was what people used to do when they met kings.
He never got a chance to speak, since as he was stopping, the castle shook, and explosions could be heard in the distance. A knight burst into the room.
“My Liege, we are being attacked by flying warships,” he exclaimed.
Arthur turned towards Drake. “I take it that you are the boy Merlin spoke of, and you should go find him. He will know what to do,” turning back to the knight, “go and gather the knights, we will face this threat, and defeat it.”
Drake ran out to go find Merlin, dashing down the hallway he came and out of the castle. He found that the city was burning, and knights were fighting some kind of robot in the streets. He kept running, dodging around the fighters, and reached Merlin’s hut.
Bursting through the door, Drake was about to open his mouth when Merlin said, “I know what's happening, and it's time you go. It's much to dangerous here now.”
“But I still need training, and…” Drake stammered.
“That doesn't matter now. You have to go lest he find and kill you,” Merlin said.
“Fine, but you better not die,” Drake said, opening a portal to another realm.
Merlin quickly grabbed a book off a nearby table. “Here,” he said, “this will help you continue your training in magic. You’re on your own when it comes to other weapons.”
With those words, Drake took the book and stepped through the he portal, preparing for his future adventures.
© Copyright 2015 tonyAwesome (tonyawesome at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2067993-Origin-Updated