*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2067994-Flashback
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #2067994
A flashback to when Drake met his traveling companion, Liz.
As Drake stepped out of the portal, he wondered what kind of world he would end up in. The last one didn't have any advanced civilizations, so he had no one to talk to except Liz, his companion. He remembers when he met her, when she was trying to kill him.
It seemed to have been a year or two ago, but time works weirdly when traveling, so who knows how long it's actually been. He was just escaping a world he had been unable to save, considering Andrew had gotten there first. It saddens him when he fails, but he had more pressing issues at that moment, like not passing out after opening two portals in a row.
"Damn, opening these things really tires me. And why am I talking to myself again?" he said.
He had gotten lucky, seeing as he landed in a town, so he went to find a hotel or something. There was a motel a couple streets over from where he was, so he magicked up some money and got a room for the night.
He only slept for 5 hours when he was awoken to screams and explosions. When he looked out the window, he saw Andrew's warships, and knew that he would have to fight.
"This is just not my day." he whispered, stepping out of his room and spreading his wings. "Well, better get going before he destroys to much of this city."
He flew up, and started using his fire magic to destroy the smaller ships. Andrew still hadn't figured out a way to get them to target him, considering he was more faster than them, so it was a piece of cake. Until a new ship appeared, which surprised him. Andrew doesn't normally change his strategy until well after Drake made his appearance. Then he tries very hard to kill him.
"This is new, but I bet it still explodes like the rest." he said.
When he used his magic, though, it mostly glided off the ship, barely burning it. A second one snuck up behind him while he was trying to destroy it with his limited knowledge of other magics, a blasted him, knocking him unconscious.
He awoke in a cell, probably onboard one of Andrew's warships. The cell seemed to be made of steel, but Drake was unable to melt it.
"Good thing I met that thief a little bit ago" he said, pulling out a lock pick. He picked the lock, and went to find Andrew before everything was destroyed. As he was sneaking around in the rafters (nobody ever looks up), he noticed a girl around his age.
"That's strange, Andrew only has robots since no one was willing to be banished with him." he whispered. He hopped down and approached her.
She was shocked to say the least. She immediately lunged at him with what appeared to be a wooden shiv.
"This is definitely wrong. Andrew's bots only ever use energy weapons. Who are you?" Drake stated calmly.
"What's it to you? You destroyed everything I loved!" she exclaimed. Drake realized that she must be a stowaway from the last world.
"Wait! I'm not with Andrew! He actually really hates me," Drake says, while ducking under one of her swings.
"Then what are you doing on this ship?" she asks, while stabbing for his stomach.
"I got caught unprepared when he used a new ship, and was captured. I fight against Andrew." Drake said.
"Why would I believe you? It's very easy to lie." the girl said.
"Cause I'm not fighting back, and have you seen anything living on this ship since you stowed away?" Drake reasons.
She lowers her shiv. "You may have a point. You really fight against him? She asks, with a sad look on her face.
"Yes, and I'm sorry I was unable to save your world. I arrived to late"
She falls to the floor, seemingly without the energy to fight anymore. "Where am I? Why'd he do it?" she asks nothing in particular.
"I can explain everything later, but right now I gotta stop him from destroying this world." Drake says.
"This world? What is he, a space pirate?" she jokes.
"Actually in a way, yes. You want to help? I know where he keeps his weapons." Drake offers, holding out his hand to help her up. She gladly accepted.
They entered the armory. "Grab whatever you need, but make it quick. The guards are bound to have noticed that I escaped by now." he warns. She rushes to find a weapon.
"There are no swords here. I learned how to fight with a sword." she exclaimed.
"Here, this is a beam sword. Same purpose, but without most of the weight." Drake handed he a small rod.
"This is not a sword. It looks like a fancy stick." she looks at it like it couldn't be more useless.
"Press the button under your thumb." When she did, a blue beam came out.
"Holy crap!" she exclaimed, "this weighs nothing. I'm not sure I'll be able to use it."
"Don't worry, I can get you a traditional sword once we're out of here. I learned some smithing during my travels."
They leave, and run into a pack of robot dogs. They fight their way through, and eventually reach the bridge.
"Hey, moron! Next time get a better cell!" Drake shouts at Andrew
"I knew you would come here, and I take it this is that pesky bug who been stabbing my security droids. Thanks for bringing her here. It makes life much easier to kill you both instead of having to find her." Andrew responds, drawing a beam axe.
"Quick, I have a plan. I'll distract him, and you go smash that panel over there." Drake whispers to the girl.
"Ok," she responded.
Drake attacked Andrew, forming a fire sword with his magic. While they were fighting, the girl snuck over and smashed the panel with her beam sword.
"No! That keeps me from randomly hopping between dimensions!" Andrew broke away from Drake, and ran at the girl, but Drake was faster. He grabbed her and jumped through the viewport.
"Ahhhhhh! We're going to die!" She was screaming at the top of her lungs.
Drake spread his wings, and prevents them from dying like she said they would.
"You have wings!? Now I've seen everything," she said, as Drake landed and set her down. Andrew's fleet started to fade from that dimension, the damaged module sending it to a random world.
"That outta keep him from destroying this world, and any others for that matter, until it is repaired. Thanks for your help," Drake said, looking at the girl. He started laughing.
"What's so funny?" she said, getting angry.
"I just realized that we saved this world together, and I don't even know your name," Drake said.
"It's Liz," she offered, obviously shy now that the action was over, "and thanks for not killing me."
"I don't know, you surprised me with that shiv," Drake said, "Want to go rest? I got a motel room rented, and we can relax while I explain what just happened."
"That seems like a reasonable idea," was her response.
© Copyright 2015 tonyAwesome (tonyawesome at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2067994-Flashback