*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2078839-A-Dog-like-Misadventures
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #2078839
Running after the family dog
The bright sun scorched my head and back, and a blur of houses passed besides me as I ran through the street uphill. The morning was way too hot to enjoy and I should have been complaining about running around the neighborhood for a second time, but I was busy trying to catch our very sneaky Siberian dog. Gerald is our family dog; he has been with us since my little sister Mary was four and she is nine right now.
It wasn’t my fault that my dad left the porch’s front gate open, yet I was the only family member running after the dog. It didn’t matter how many times I was on the brink of catching him, he manages to ran away from me in the last minute. I was getting frustrated with him “Come on! We just need to get down this hill, Gerald. Our home is right across the street!” I grumble to Gerald pointing down the street where our house was located as if he could understand me.
“Richard, what happened?” My little sister Mary shouted to my direction from the inside of the porch.
“I am trying to get Gerald back home. He ran away… AGAIN!” I gave Gerald an annoyed glare, but he just ignores me and continue to sniff the tree on the other side of the street.
“Wait! I know what to do!” Mary smiled as if she just thought one of her brightest ideas and disappeared inside the house. I could see the light of the kitchen being turned on from our house frontal window.
“Yeah… Sure!” I muttered keeping an eye on our beloved Siberian dog. Gerald kept moving uphill, sniffing every single tree that cross his path. “At least he’s not too far, in case I have to keep running after him.” I thought.
“Gerard, look! I have a chocolate for you!” I saw Mary squeezing the chocolate’s wrap a little bit; thought I didn’t hear a sound. Gerald, on the other hand, seems to hear it and gave his whole attention to her. As soon as he recognized what my little sister had in her hands, he ran immediately back home. He went down the hill through the street passing the row of houses, cross the street and even enter the porch through the open black gate without any aid.
“You are such a good boy!” Mary coed loudly as she opened the chocolate’s wrap. I walked down towards the house, taking the sight before me in complete shock “Why didn’t I thought of that?” I thought annoyed. “I have seen him eating chocolate before, thought he shouldn’t eat it…” The metal gate screeched as I closed it behind me. Gerald shewed half of the chocolate treat and resume his military position besides Mary, ears perked up waiting to be given the rest of the treat.
“Why didn’t you tell me? I ran after him through the whole neighborhood!”
“I didn’t know he went to scout.”
© Copyright 2016 Mari P. Pousa (mppousa at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2078839-A-Dog-like-Misadventures