*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2079849-The-High-Seas
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #2079849
A young woman has run from a marriage and is now a pirate.
I am standing in front of a tall mirror in a white dress. My long khol black hair is plaited down my back. I turns this way and that as the tears pour out of my pale green eyes and stream down my face. It is my wedding day, but it feels like a funeral, the end of my life and the beginning of one worse than death. The window shatters and glass flies everywhere. Then I is jolted awake.

The first thing I hear is the pounding of feet on the deck of my ship. Next comes the indistinct yells of my crew. I jump out of my bed, throws on my boots and grabs my effects and I’m at the helm in seconds.

“What do we ‘ave here?” I ask my first mate, Samuel, as I take the wheel from him. It felt so good to be in control of such a beautiful ship. I had named it myself, The Devil’s Mermaid, feeling like it fit with my reputation. Glancing back Samuel a few thoughts crossed my mind.

He was my most trusted member of the crew for we had know each other for eighteen years. It was him who had convinced me to become a pirate captain in the first place. He stood above me at six and a half feet, and was by far the scariest pirate I had ever met. With his dark olive skin, and large muscles, he could easily overpower and any man on this ship. I would not want to cross blades with him. His sky blue eyes give him a off putting beauty, though they shout danger to anyone who dare challenge him.

“There be a french ship, Capt’n. I was just about to wake ye. They be comin fast.” He said with a flourish of his sword. His eyes alight with anticipation. I gazed at the ship coming straight for us aiming toward our starboard side.

“Man the sails, fly the colors, and tell the crew to ready themselves. We are going to ‘ave a ‘ell of a fight.” I say turning the wheel. As I hear Samuel giving the orders, I think back to my dream. It had been five years since that day and yet it still haunts my dreams. I did what was right and yet I feels like something is missing, something I forgot. Something about the dream is always different from the memory. She must find out what it is. She-

“Capt’n?” Samuel asks, bring her from her thoughts.

“Yes, Samuel?” I answer him shaking my head. As though to shake the thoughts away.

“I asked if ye were alright.”He stepped closer to me, resting a hand on my elbow. “Ye’ve been having that dream again, haven’t ye? Jacquotte, answer me.” He knew me all too well.

“Yes, but tis nothing I ‘aven’t dreamt before and I be sure I can get through it as I ‘ave before.” I says with a reassuring smile. I turn toward the coming ship. As it nears I ready myself and pull out my sword.

“We will talk about this later.” He murmurs to me as he turn to face the french ship. On his is now a mask, I’ve seen many a time and will continue to see. His eyes harden and his eyebrows come together in a scowl. He pulls out his swords and tests them. In every battle I’d ever seen him fight, he always won.

As the ship came close I searched for the captain. And as I found him my heart stopped. No. Not him, why him, of all the ships, why his? I begin to shake.

“Samuel. Samuel! Look who the captain is.” I say as I grab Samuel’s arm. I thought that I had got away from him, but now five years later, there he is.

“By all that was great and good, what is he doing here?” Samuel ground out as he saw my ex-fiance, Lieutenant Christopher O’Riley. He was standing at the head of the ship, one leg upon the bowsprit, his dark blue jacket flapping in the wind, his white breeches, pristine. On his face was a look of determination.

The last time they had saw him, he was shrinking in the distance yelling curses at the both of them. Swearing that he would find me. Well it looks as if he made good on his promise. It scared me to the bone to think of all the things he would do to me when he had me back.

“Jacquotte, listen to me. He is not going to take ye back. I won't let him. I promise ye.” Samuel says, looking me in the eyes. His brown eyes filled with determination. “I don’t think ye should be out here we he arrives. Just so there is no chance he can know this is yer ship for sure.” He pleads with me.

“I will not ‘ide while this yellow-bellied dog faces my crew head-on. I will fight ‘im and I will win.” I say with conviction. As I say this I hear the crew murmur as Christopher’s ship draws near. He must have spotted me for he yells out.

“Well, isn’t it my runaway bride and her scumbag of a friend, or should I say pirate. I was wondering when I would finally take back what was rightfully mine.” He says smugly.

“I was never yours, Christopher, and never will be.” I say stepping forward swing my sword around threateningly. “Why don’t you keep sailing to wherever it is you are sailing to and we will forget we ever saw ye, okay?”

We stare at each other, waiting for the other to make move. Christopher looks away first and glances at his crew. He lifts his hand and motion for his crew to stand down.

“This is not the last time we will meet. I promise you, and next time, you will be mine.” He says as he walks away toward his helm, sheathing his sword. As he goes my shoulders sag with relief. That is one battle I was not looking forward to.

I turns to go toward the head of the ship when a felt a hand on my arm.
“Samuel, steer us due north, toward ‘ome, please.” I say as I pull my arm out of his grip. “We will talk later.”

“Yes capt’n.” He says without any emotion. I turn to look at Samuel and see his face. He looks so worried. I catch his eye and give a, hopefully, reassuring smile. He smiles back, but it doesn’t quite reach his eyes.

I turn and walk amongst the men. They give me glances and nods, but none speak. I can feel their eyes on my back a
s I reach the head. I hoist myself up onto the gunwale and look into the wind. Why was I so stupid? I should have just killed him when I had the chance. Now I will have to look over my shoulder. Why can’t I kill that scurvy ridden split-tongue of an-

“What ‘as ye all twist’d up Capt’n?” I hear behind me. I turn around and see the only other female on this ship, Grace O’Malley. I should have known O’Malley would come see how I fared.

She was tall for a woman, standing at five eleven, with her long chestnut hair plaited into a braid, which was slung over her left shoulder. Her eyes a bright teal, like that of the sea on a sunny day, shone with worry, her thin eyebrows crinkled together. Her mouth drew into a frown. The freckles on her face and arms were dark from the long day in the sun, and the scar above her right eyebrow, even more noticeable. She was wearing what all the others were, a black vest over a dirty white shirt, rolled up to her elbows, with dark breeches, and brown boots. Her sword hung on her left hip and her pistol on her right.

“I be alright O’Malley, just thinking ‘bout what I should ‘ave done to that scallywag long ago.” I say turning to face the wind again.

“What did ‘appen long ago betwixt the two of ye, if I may ask, Capt’n?” O’Malley utters with a quiet voice.

“It is a personal matter.” I replied flinching slightly.

“Oh, I’m sorry

“Tis alright, it tis a matter I rather not the whole crew to know. But I do feel the need to share me past with someone, ye know? Share the burden? Come to my cabin after the last meal and I tell ye then, aye?” I say shaking my head.

“Aye Capt’n.” Was the reply.

“Now back to work, we be headed home, and I would like to be there before dark tomorrow.” I say with a smile, turning toward O’Malley.

“Aye, Capt’n” O’Malley says smiling and walking away. As I watch the older girl I feel as if I should not have invited her into my cabin.

© Copyright 2016 Rose Scott (potolover at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2079849-The-High-Seas