*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2090896-LEON-Chapter-Seven
Rated: E · Novel · Action/Adventure · #2090896
Worn. They must regather and rest for the fight yet to come.
Chapter Seven:
Unrequited Dreams



         The streets were dark but lights flashed all around them as they darted through the alleyways and quieter streets. Eirien lugged the beast over her back, clearly struggling but unwilling to admit it. Ian carried Potrer, sweating also as they crouched in the shadow of an alley. Marshal took the lead, being helped by Molly, he peered round the corner before signalling to the others and leading them down a deserted side street, the lights and sirens bouncing around the streets behind them. Karl followed at the rear, keeping his hand close to the hilt of his sword. Though they met no other enemies on their travels, he couldn’t shake a feeling they were being watched. He was worried about Marshall; he looked drained; he needed help ten minutes ago.
         They approached the end of the road and continued over the grass. Moving as quick as they could, keeping low to the ground. They were heading towards a scrap yard and an area beyond that looked unkempt.
         Stopping behind a burnt out car they rested a moment. The silver beast was beginning to smell, or rather, smell worse. Ian’s nose was screwed up to the extent that it was almost disappearing into his face. Molly’s eyes were red as she steadied Marshall. Eirian rested on one knee as Macabee scanned the area ahead.
         He turned back to them, his face looking worn and tired, yet there was a glimmer of relief, “Right,” He whispered, “home is just ahead. Stay cautious, and as quiet as humanly…” He paused to look at his audience, “…as possible.” His face was pale but he smiled at them, “Ready? Round the far side of the hut. Let’s go.”
         They stood taller, back’s arched, knee’s bent and filed out around the car. They stalked through the scrap yard till they came to a small clearing, it’s edge’s scattered with stray metal from the yard, in the centre of which was a single wooden hut. To Karl’s bewilderment they seemed to be heading towards the hut. It was miniscule, he couldn’t imagine they could all fit in comfortably. Nevertheless, Karl followed the others around the back of the old wooden hut around to an old, rickety door and went inside.
         Despite the hut having one large window on the right wall there was no light inside. It was pitch black and deathly silent. Something heavy thudded to the ground and Eirian groaned, something else was laid on the ground, softly, then there was silence except from heavy breathing of Macabee as he fidgeted about the dimly lit room, seemingly searching for something.
         A loud thud was heard in the darkness from the other side of the hut, and Macabee let out a small gasp of pain, then a triumphant, “ha!”
         Something landed on a wooden surface, there was a scraping noise and the room was illuminated ever so slightly. Macabee lowered the match to a small candle on the table. The cabin warmed slightly. The interior seemed, somehow, much smaller than it had done on the outside. It was a cold, damp, unwelcoming place and Karl didn’t like it. He looked around at his worn out companions. Macabee was busy fidgeting around in a box in the corner and seemed to be having some difficultly doing so with only one arm. Eirian went over to him and relieved him of the duty at which point Macabee attended to tightening the blood stained bandages on his deformed arm. Molly was standing in the corner again, her face shrouded in darkness as she looked, transfixed, at the candle on the table. Ian was standing right next to her. He didn’t seem to be his usual mischievous self, his expression and body language seemed cold.
         Karl looked at the four of them more carefully than he ever had done. At Eirian lighting more and more candles and placing them on the table, at Marshall attending to his physical wounds, and at Molly and Ian, apparently attending to their emotional wounds.
         Things certainly had changed a lot in one day. In the morning he had been a nobody, barely anyone knew he existed; let alone knew anything about him. One kick during the line of duty and everything changed.
         He thought deeply as he looked around at the other, a group of people he didn’t really know; Four people that he’d only met hours ago yet there they are were standing together. Something that Leon had said came in to Karl’s mind.
         “What is time wasted when it is used to get to know your comrades?”
         These people were all comrades but they weren’t his. He thought back to the incident in the caves. Eirian, Macabee, Ian, Potrer, had all fought together against the silver skinned monster. They did not fight along side him, in fact Eirian even tried to stop him attacking. When he had fought the termite monster, where were the others? They were not helping him…
         ‘No,’ Karl thought, ‘these people are not my comrades…these people do not know me.’ he closed his eyes tight, ‘They are using me.’
         His rage built and now looked at the four of them with malice and contempt. Why should he be their puppet? Why should he be killing all the monsters while they all stand by taking the credit. Karl wasn’t going to let them do that.
         The silence was broken suddenly by a croak of a whisper, “What do we do now?”
         They all turned to look at Ian but the silence remained, filled only by Eirian’s continued search for candles in the cluttered box, despite the fact that there were already plenty on the table.
“We wait Ian.” Macabee spoke at last. Karl noticed that he seemed to have taken leadership over the group since the incident in the caves. Perhaps he felt somewhat responsible, or perhaps he recognised that the group needed a bit of motivation. Whatever it was, it brought out something in him that was all together a great comfort to have in the group. Now that Karl thought about it, he quite liked Macabee. He had been very kind to Karl, always smiling, even now…
         Molly whispered a thought, “I wonder what could be keeping them…”
         She was talking about Leon and the others and when she asked the question the other‘s heads dropped.
         In the silence Karl thought that he didn’t much mind Molly either. She too had been very kind to Karl, and had often smiled at him. She had been there with Karl all the time in the caves. She could very well be a comrade…
         Eventually it was Macabee who spoke again, “Let us rest a while. It will soon become very dark; let us rest until it does so. We should probably have someone keeping watch. I…” he paused for a moment, after a very stern look from Eirian, in which he cleared his throat nervously.
         “I’ll keep watch Marshall, don’t worry about that.” Said Ian, kindly to him.
         Marshall nodded thankfully, before sliding down the hut wall behind him to a sitting position on the ground. The others did the same, and Ian left the hut.
         For a moment, Karl stood there. Not sure what to do. He was sure that he did not want to rest at a time like this, and he definitely did not want to spend any more time in the presence of Eirian and Potrer so he followed Ian out the door.
There was still a little bit of light in the sky, which was a golden shade of orange. The sun was low on the horizon; seagulls were flapping around the area merrily, and tiny little lights could just be made out in the houses across the river.
As Karl entered the beam, of what little sunlight still remained, Ian caught sight of him and turned to face him. He was leaning against a wall about 10 feet from the hut. His right foot was propped up against the wall, and his hands were in his pockets. As Karl approached him, he moved further down the wall, leaving a space for him to lean.
         “Didn’t feel like resting, eh? Can’t say I blame you. Not been a very good day for you so far has it?” he looked at Karl and smiled comfortingly.
         Karl wanted to smile back at Ian, feeling somewhat guilty about not being able to.
         “It’s not usually this crazy you know. Leon’s usually a lot more organised that this. He’s just not very sure about things these days. Not like he used to be anyway. It’s been a frantic day for him as well, from what I hear. It’s such a lot for to happen to anyone, in only a day. For you as well, I’m sure. I mean, this is your first day of course. But Leon’s really happy that you’ve decided to join us. We all are. He’s got a really high opinion of you, you know. Thinks you’ll go on to great things. I guess he hasn’t really shown it that well. Like I say, he’s had a lot on his mind lately. Seems something’s got him shaken up in a way I haven’t seen since…” he trailed off, and didn’t finish his sentence.
         Karl presumed he must have meant Leigh: The crazed mad man who had killed thousands upon thousands of people, whom Leon had struck down. Or so they say. Ian obviously didn’t think so.
         “The world’s a scary place these days Karl. Nobody’s really sure about anything anymore. And in all fairness, how can they be? The world is changing. The world is moving. There are wars left, right and centre. Monsters appearing from all directions and then there are humans changing all the time, mutating – if you will, and many are being shunned from society because of it. But no matter where the Earth goes, no matter how far some humans can evolve, the old rules will always apply…
         “Take where we stand,” He said, moving away from the wall and facing Karl, “On my left, across the great river Onnal, the city: businesses minded, companies, the ‘well-off’ people. They mostly live a life of peace, not much goes on in their life that is bad. Even the weather seems to be better over there…”
         “But in the other direction…the slums. Close enough to notice, far enough away to be ignored. Filled to the brim with dirty, rusted metal homes corroded by years of neglect where people like us live: the down and outs, the rebellious, the just plain bad and the ones ‘they’” he jerked his hand over towards the city, “didn’t want.”
         He walked back to the wall and slammed his back against it, “It’s human nature Karl. And it’ll always exist in our society in one form or another. That’s the sad truth, and many think it’ll be our downfall…we always find new ways to make old mistakes”
         Ian then fell silent from his rant leaving Karl was left to ponder his words, not all of them making sense to him.
         As he thought, Karl watched the gigantic sun as it drifted lower in the sky like a sinking ship. Karl never particularly liked light,; he did love the sun and hated to see it leave.
         An uncomfortable silence latched upon them both, and Ian began fidgeting, “So…” he began, carefully searching for a new subject. His eyes fell upon the sword in Karl’s right hand and opened wide, “Oh my! Nice! May I...?” he looked at Karl eagerly. Karl handed him the sword. “Wow! Really nice craftsmanship, have you had it long? Looks to be quite old to me. Where did you get it?” he finished, still examining the sword.
         Karl eyed him suspiciously. He rather felt like he was being kept busy. He looked at his sword, the sun bouncing off its right side. He really had no idea where he got it, or how long he’d had it for. All he knew is that he prized it above all else in life except, perhaps, his watch. His watch could not save his life as his sword could though. He looked at them both for a moment. In many ways, they were quite similar. The Sheath and Hilt to the sword were both metal, crafted with tiny dragons spiralled around the outsides, some with tiny silver jewels for eyes. The watch, too, was silver, and the strap itself was a dragon-like creature, it’s every individual scale etched into it. Though its eyes did not have jewels in them, they looked like they should have. Little holes sat where the eyes were meant to be, as if something had been pried out of them. Karl sighed at this thought.
         He heard the sound of the sword being re-sheathed and Ian passed the sword back to Karl who quickly returned it to his right hand.
         The sun had all but disappeared now and the last birds in the sky seemed to be retiring to shelter.
         Eirian appeared from the hut and called over to them, “Ian, Karl. We’re going to go down to the lower level; they’ll know where to find us. Come on.”
         Ian nodded to her, pushing himself off the wall, and walking towards the hut. Karl wasn’t going to move for that woman’s words. Not in a million years.
         “Come on.” Ian called back to him
         Karl wanted to tell him that he’d be there in just a minute, but, slowly walked towards the hut.
         When he entered he found it to be in a very different state than before. The table with the candles on it had been pushed into a corner on the left of the door and a trapdoor had emerged from the floor. It dropped down into a surprisingly large stone grey corridor. As Karl entered, Eirian was in the process of climbing down the ladder to the lower room
         Ian was sat on the edge of the table, smiling mischievously to himself, shooting very odd looks between Karl and Eirian, “On you go. Just follow the corridor down to the room at the end, I’ll be along.”
         So off Karl had to go, without an explanation or a question answered. He walked timidly over to the hole and looked down upon the stone passageway. It looked cold and hard and Karl didn’t think he liked it very much at all. But he supposed he must.
         He readied himself to jump down, quickly remember what happened the last time he did something like that, and proceeded to use the ladder on the side of the wall. He descended quickly and turned to the cold grey corridor. Eirian had already disappeared through the glass door at the end. Wind was rolling though spaces in the wall ahead like a train through a tunnel.
         There was movement above him as he proceeded down the corridor after Eirian. It was cold, deathy quiet but for the sound of wind rattling through it. Karl thought it to be very strange: He hadn’t remembered it being windy outside, yet it clearly was now. He quickened his step and moved through a glass door at the end of the corridor.
         As he entered he had to stop for a while just to take it all in. He was in a huge room, it seemed to go back forever. The walls were a dazzling white with splashes of grey on various different surfaces. The whole room seemed to look like something from the very distant future to Karl. He felt important just to be standing in it.
         To his right, someone called his name. He saw Eirian, Molly and Macabee in the one corner, Molly standing next to the wall, smiling at Karl, while seemingly trying to pay as little attention to what the other two were doing as possible. Karl quickly saw why. Macabee was sitting atop a silver table with his t-shirt removed, Eirian was tending to his injuries. Karl’s eye’s fell on Macabee’s dismembered arm, lying on the table beside him, and on the bloody, fleshy stump where it should have been. Suddenly Karl did not feel like looking at neither Macabee nor Eirian either.
         He turned to face Molly, and saw that she was looking down at the ground to her right, her hands over her ears, her eyes closed. Karl quickly discovered why.
         There was a squelching noise coming from Macabee’s direction and Karl couldn’t help but look. Eirian was now fidgeting around with a small metal object, prodding it into Macabee’s shoulder, where it made a horrible sound, followed by suppressed cries of unease from Macabee.
         “Oh stop being such a baby Marshall.” Eirian said to him with an edge of annoyance, though with attempt at sounding comforting. She followed the words up with a not completely unforced smile.
         Macabee laughed uneasily, “Hehe, baby huh? You show me a baby who’s had its arm torn off and I’ll behave just the same as him thank you very much.” He laughed again.
         Eirian smiled at him. As she did, Karl looked at her more carefully. She wasn’t altogether a bad person in any sense. But she could be rather mean when she wanted to, and a perpetual grump. Karl remembered the way she had spoken to Molly and to Macabee only this afternoon. He couldn‘t quite figure out how he was supposed to feel. He did like these people, in a fashion, and quite a lot too but no matter how much he did he thought that that still did not make them his comrades.
         ‘Perhaps’ he thought, and felt great relief inside him, ‘they are my friends, of a sort, but they are not my comrades. Not yet…’
         Eirian lowered the instrument she had been prodding Marshall with and her manner became very grave indeed, “I’m sorry Marshall, I don’t know if there’s anything I can do for i…” she stopped mid way through her sentence.
         Marshal had picked up his arm off the table and held the hand up the Eirien to silence her. He placed it down again and, looking down at it, whispered, “I know Eirian,”
         Her head dropped.
         “I prepared myself for this on the journey. Do as you can but do not feel bad for me either way. One way or another, I will pull through.” He finished, looking up at Eirian, a broad smile sitting inappropriately on his face.
         Eirian’s eyes began to water as she practically leapt at Marshal, her arms thrown tightly round him. She stepped back, a few moment later, her eyes watering, and nodded to him, who picked up his arm off the table and walked off to his right.
         Eirian dried her eyes quickly, “Ok Molly, up you come now.”
         Molly looked up at her slowly and sat on the table in front of Eirian.
         Eirian looked down at her fondly before reaching off to her left into a small bag, from which she brought out a small green bottle and a cotton cloth, “Right then, looks like you’ve just got a few scratches on you, a bruise or two, nothing too serious I’m glad to say.” Eirian proceeded to put some of the stuff in the green bottle onto the cotton cloth and dab it onto the cuts on Molly’s body.
         Molly cringed and breathed in through her teeth when the cloth met her skin, looking up at Eirian and saying, “Stingy.”
         Eirian smiled at her before covering up a cut with a plaster and moving on to the next one.
         The door behind Karl opened bombarding the room with wind and cold for a moment before the door closed. Karl guessed that it must be Ian entering but quickly changed his theory.
         “My, it seems we have been in the wars indeed,” said a kind and pleasant voice that Karl recognised instantly. He spun around quickly to meet with two people. One of them was someone Karl had never seen before. He was tall and strong looking, and wore a pleasant smile on his face. The other person was, of course, Leon.
         He too wore a pleasant smile on his face but it looked quite out of place on his body now. Karl’s eyes zoomed about Leon’s body. He had cuts everywhere, his clothes were torn and dirty, and he seemed to be bleeding from somewhere on his shoulder. His normally brilliant red hair looked darker, browner. He looked like he had fought a million battles on his way to get here, and they had taken their toll.
         Yet true to the kind of person Karl thought him to be he did not let it show in his manner, “You should all get some rest. We have a lot of business to discuss in the morning and you all look like you could hibernate.” As he said this, his eyes darted from person to person examining each of them. They did not even react when they fell on Macabee, yet when they fell on Karl something seemed to change in them. If Karl had to guess he would say they were bemused, or astonished.
         Karl began to feel quite self-conscious but did not look away from Leon. Neither did Leon look away from him.
         Finally he tore his gaze from Karl and looked at the others, “Please, there are beds waiting for you all just down the hall. Macabee, I would ask that you show them the way then return here so we can have a look at you.” As he said this, Karl could just make out Macabee nodding to his right.
         Leon nodded to us and Macabee stepped out to show us the way. As they walked Karl overheard Leon saying something quietly, “Eirian, if you please, we need to escort some of our friends down here, as they cannot do it alone.” He finished and the three of them left via the glass door. Wind leapt out and tickled Karl’s back for a moment before the sound of the door closing was heard and the wind stopped, leaving Karl, Molly and Macabee alone in the room.
         As they continued down the hall Molly shivered slightly. Karl wondered if it was from the cold.
         Karl looked back over his shoulder at the door, noticing as he did the large silver monster lying on a similar metal table to the one Macabee was earlier sitting atop. The monster was not moving but the lights reflecting off his shiny skin made it look as if it was breathing. Karl didn’t trust it one bit.
         Their walk to the dormitories was slow; or, at least, it seemed slow. They walked right past the last of the silver metal tables and entered an area that held many computers, all in a row, and finally to a large open space that looked almost like a guard station. Karl’s mind swam with possibilities for the use of each area, his imagination growing wilder all the time. Finally they exited the white room through a heavy metal door and into a blue stone corridor. It was cold and hard and there was constant dripping coming from somewhere. It was not an inviting place, though it seemed someone had attempted to make it slightly more pleasant, a vague heat came from somewhere. The corridor split to the left and right. Both directions seemed to be exactly the same and each had 7 steel doors leading into small rooms.
         Macabee stopped in the middle of the corridor and turned to Molly and Karl, “These are the prison cells, usually intended for anyone, or anything, that we capture from the enemy. Tonight though they will be yours and our beds. There is a heater in each one, and if you need to turn it up or down, please do so. Get as much rest as you can, others may be coming to rest later. As Leon said, we’re going to have a busy day tomorrow, so rest is essential.” He finished by smiling broadly at them, then pointing to two open doors on his left, Karl's right, “These two rooms have been pre-heated, they would do best for you, “ he smiled again, “Sleep well my friends.” He finished and stepped forward between them towards the door.
         For a moment Molly and Karl stood in silence, listening as Macabee opened the door and then shut it behind him. Molly was looking at the ground, seemingly lost in thought. Karl simply was waiting for Molly to choose her room, yet he too had a lot on his mind.
         With a jolt Molly’s head sprang up and she looked at Karl, she smiled bashfully and turned quickly, heading for the nearest room. She vanished behind the door, then her head and part of her body re-appeared, “Goodnight.” She said pleasantly, smiled, blushed a little, and closed the door behind her.
         Karl wanted to say goodnight back, but simply contented himself with nodding at the closed door, before proceeding to his own room.
         He looked around the cold, stone room and shuddered. It indeed looked like a cell, though a slightly nicer cell than the one’s he had come across previously in his life. He closed the steel door and looked down at the heater placed by the wall. It was currently set at ‘medium’ heat, but Karl decided to turn it off completely. Cold never bothered him much.
         Karl placed his sword on the bed close to the wall and sat down, he noticed it had been given an extra mattress to make it slightly more comfortable. It did its job well. Karl soon found himself falling back onto it.
         For a while he lay, his hands underneath his head, looking up at the ceiling listening to the empty sounds around him. The constant dripping, a dozen heaters blaring, the distant movements of his companion next door as she changed for bed. Thoughts flew into his head with each new sound he discovered as he felt himself becoming more and more drowsy.
         Thoughts in his head kept him from drifting completely though. He looked at his watch, it was half past nine:
         ‘...Sneak out from your dormitory at midnight...tonight if you can...’
         The man who he’d met in the elevator shaft’s words came into Karl’s head. How did he…?
         ‘...Meet me at the observatory, there are things I need to discuss with you...’
         This man knew something about him, something that could help him, or did he? Either way, Karl desperately wanted to know.
         ‘...Amnesia..’ he knew a lot about him, ‘...our last meeting...’ he’d met Karl before, and ‘...tonight...’
         ...He simply must go to him. His very existence depended on it, he was sure of it. Leon wouldn’t mind if he left, probably. He knew he could take care of himself. Besides, it was at midnight, surely no one would see him at that hour.
         ‘...If anyone spots you it could jeopardise our mission, and all the work we’ve done will be lost...’ Leon’s word’s, spoken to him just before he left in the elevator to go to the battle. Karl remembered feeling quite angry at that moment and felt his anger rising again, unsure why.
         ‘...Tonight if you can. Sneak out of your Dormitory at midnight and meet me at the Observatory, there are things I need to discuss with you...Leon...”
         Karl’s mind was made up. To hell if he had mistaken him for Leon, Karl was going to go anyway. He took off his watch and laid it on the small table beside his bed, then closed his eyes and fell asleep to the soothing sounds that surrounded him.
         One that reached his ears just before he fell asleep, was the sweet, sad weeping coming from the room next door...

*


         “...Tonight...at the Observatory...tonight if you can...our last meeting...tonight...midnight...the Observatory...tonight...Leon...”
         His dreams were uneasy that night and he woke much earlier than he had planned. The weeping from the next room had stopped, as had the dripping. He looked at his watch and sighed. He’d awoken over an hour earlier than he’d planned but didn’t want to go back to sleep. Didn’t want to risk missing the meeting with the grey haired man.
         He sat quickly and spun around in his bed and quietly stood up, picked up his sword lying by the bed and stopped, listening for movement, at the same time, thinking.
         Quietly he moved towards the door, pulling it open just enough for him to squeeze through. The corridor outside his room was cold and silent. He stalked down it, keeping low to the ground. He couldn’t see anyone in the rooms, neither could he hear anyone. Nevertheless, he remained low to the ground, just in case.
         He stalked across the hall, passing the desks and the metal tables, one of which had previously held the silver monster that Karl had slain, there was no sign of the monster now. Instead, on top of a table near the end, there was a white cloth draped over a motionless shape. Karl didn’t look at it again, even as he passed right by it, for he felt sure he knew what it was. Who it was.
         He approached the glass door at the end of the white room, and could hear the beginnings of the windy corridor. He had to pull hard, yet carefully, the door for it to open, making sure he didn’t make too much noise.
         Here in the windy corridor, he felt sure he could stand tall. He knew that no one would be able to make out his footsteps above this noise. Karl approached the ladder leading up into the hut and was preparing to climb it when voices met his ear. Karl quickly ducked backwards and behind a small concave in the wall, shrouded in darkness, he listened in.
         “Bloody Beatrol, what the hell they were doing there is beyond me. Damn A.D.A. takin’ them outta the wild, forcing them to do their biddin’. It just ain’t right.”
         It was Bob’s voice, quite obviously, and as Karl listened in more voices followed.
         “Stay still Robert, you bandages are slipping off. You’ve got to stop jumping around so much.” Came Eirian’s voice. She sounded quite concerned.
         Karl chanced to look around the corner of the wall he was standing behind and up into the room. Robert large frame into view. He was sat on the table that had previously held the numerous flickering candles. Eirian was standing at the far side of the table, pulling down the top layer of bandaging around Roberts stomach so that it was in line with the other layers.
         For a long while there was silence. Karl strained his ears but couldn’t make out anything at all. It almost seemed as if they were being intentionally quiet. As if they knew Karl was listening. Then Karl realised the reason for the silence. An almost unbearable feeling of awkwardness descended upon him and he could tell that everyone in that room was holding back from saying something.
         When the silence was broken, a very restrained, tired sounding voice was heard. A voice that Karl in no way would associate with the owner, if it weren’t for the tone it used, “Leon, is it time yet?”
         “I believe so Bernie…momentarily though,” Replied Leon quickly, his response bringing a tired sigh from someone on the other side of the room, “Firstly, I believe we have still to explain to our companions about our little escapade.”
         Leon cleared his throat lightly, though his voice did not seem to have needed clearing, “When I arrived in the main hall, it was utterly packed to the brim. We must have been outnumbered 50 to 1.”
         “100 to 1.” Interrupted Robert.
         “Very possibly.” Leon admitted, “It seems they have been planning such an attack from a long time, for they were strong and well prepared. This was not just a retaliation, which I blame myself for.
         “Leon, don’t do that. We all played a part. What happened couldn’t have happened any other way.” Interrupted Bernie. Although Karl could not see him, he could tell he was smiling widely at Leon.
         Leon continued, “I was being over confident when I returned. I should have been a little more discrete about organising our visitor’s arrival, rather than in the unceremonious way I did. But, as you say, that was the way it happened. Anyway, when I arrived we were completely backed into a corner. Robert and the others were battling furiously but no matter how many of them they overcame more took their place. However we had no choice but to attempt to drive them back. We fought furiously and managed to drive them outside and were about to barricade the door when an explosion shook the building. Undoubtedly this was the soldier’s breaking into the caves and we feared this above any of the foe’s we fought. We attempted to backtrack but found our path blocked by a group of female Beatrol and a nest, snuck by us somehow. There was no getting past them in a hurry.”
         In Leon’s pause a strange awe fell upon the room above him and Karl sensed a general feeling in the room though he couldn’t define what it was. It was like fear, mixed with respect, awe, remorse and anticipation. Whatever it was, Karl didn’t like it one bit.
         Leon continued, “Needless to say, we needed to escape. Bernie provided the window. A small impressive grenade placed into their midst scattered the guard. Robert cleared the path of those that were still standing…”
         “Taking a few knocks offa those bloody Clangy’s too”
         “It was at this point however that we realised the scale of the attack. There were few soldiers around but Tamers were everywhere, their monsters everywhere else. It really had been a long, well thought out plan on behalf of the state. Though I can’t help but think they had an ulterior motive.”
         Ian spoke up for the first time that night, “Aye, we think so. Dillon and I made a trip around the front earlier on, managed to get some information out of one of the guards. Rescue mission, they said, that the gang who resided there had kidnapped their leading soldier and were holding him ransom.”
         There was a definite air of shock in the room, Eirian spoke, “Karl?”
         “Do they know about him maybe? Was that why they attacked?” asked Robert.
         “I doubt it Robert. My guess would be that Karl’s rescue was simply the reason that they gave to the general public.”
         “Then what was their motive?” Asked Spencer.
         “I can’t be sure. They may just have been retaliating; it may just have been something they’d wanted to do for a long time but haven’t had the chance to until today. I can’t help but think that it was a forewarning.”
         “Forewarning about what?” asked a new voice.
         Leon glanced at the man for a second, “We had no choice but to flee,” he continued, “fighting past wave after wave of increasingly dangerous monsters. When finally we broke through there was a fierce chase, we were forced to split up. Next thing I knew Liam appeared from nowhere, leapt upon the monsters, giving us enough time to regroup and take them out. We then went searching for the others, eventually finding them fighting their own battle against a new set of Beatrol. It was not an easily won battle but we finally managed to slay enough of them for the rest of them to flee, allowing us to escape and hide. We spent the rest of the time attempting to find a safe passage back here…”
         There was a silence for a moment, in which no one seemed to know what to say.
         Eventually, someone did speak, “Leon, what do you think the forewarning is about?”
         “What?” question Leon, thoroughly confused.
         “You said their attack was a Forewarning. Forewarning about what?”
         “About what will face us if we choose to further provoke them.” Answered Dillon.
         “Ah yes.” Began Leon, “That. Well, not only that Dillon, but I’m sure they know we’re going to invade Ada soon.”
         There hung an air of shock in the room, Karl could almost taste the tension. It was interrupted, ineffectively frivolously, by Spencer’s nervous, dubious, laughter, “Come now Leon, you’re being paranoid. How could they possibly know we’re going to attack?”
         “They may not know how or when we are going to attack, but they are most definitely anticipating one. They are on high alert at the moment, seeing as it is only a week till V.I.V is moved and the visiting dignitaries, a day that will be fraught with possible dangers for them. The attack today, I believe, was a way of eliminating one of these threats. Their attack was to deter us from even thinking of attacking.”
         Leon’s speech hit his audience with some force it seemed and there was silence for a moment.
         “So, what do we do now?” asked the new voice, which Karl presumed belonged to this ‘Liam’ character.
         “We continue with the attack as planned, tenfold. We enforce it. In many ways this attack on us today was a great mistake. Now we know what we’re up against and can better prepare ourselves. In fact, a new plan has already been formulated but we are going to need more help…”
         “And where are we going to get that?” asked Spencer.
         “I have no idea,” said Leon, remorsefully.
         There was once again silence.
         Leon cleared his throat, “Right, lets have a look at this thing then Eirian.”
         Eirian nodded and moved over to just out of Karl’s view to another table, there was a sound of cloth ruffling through the air. There was a restrained gasp in the room, and some people held their noses.
         “Ah, so dat’s what de sbell wad. I thought it wad you Bernie” said Ian, while holding his nose.
         Nobody smiled at this joke, all were too busy looking over the thing on the table, seemingly transfixed by the sight that befell them. Karl wished he could see what they were looking at but restrained his wish to step out of the shadows for a closer look.
         “That’s not…” began Spencer, “ I mean. It can’t be. Could it? They can’t survive in this kind of climate, unless it’s just a Contrerasp? Leon?”
         Leon had fallen silent. It was clear to Karl that everyone in the room was looking at him.
         “It would appear that it is, indeed, what it appears to be Spencer. Though it is completely dissimilar to any one of its species I have ever come across before…”
         There was a brief pause in which Karl could feel the respect the occupants in the room had for Leon. “And I’ve never before seen one in this condition. They are notoriously difficult to kill; very dangerous creatures indeed.”
         Marshal spoke up, sounding drowsy, “Well, that’s mainly why we brought it in. We wanted to see if there was anything wrong with it.”
         “Wrong with it?” asked a voice that sounded like Bernie’s, “What do you mean ‘wrong with it’?”
         “Like if it was injured before hand. Or ill, or perhaps not particularly strong or something.” said Eirian.
         “Whatever for?” asked Liam.
         “Karl…” said Leon.
         Karl nearly jumped out of his skin. Had Leon seen him? Did he know he was there the whole time? Karl was about to step out of the shadows and go to him when Eirian started talking again.
         “Yes…you should have seen him Leon. It was astounding. Like nothing I’ve ever seen before. His speed, his power, his technique…it was scary Leon.”
         “Actually, I’m aware of his handy work” Leon half-joked.
         “She’s not lying,” came Ian’s voice, not at all in a joking tone, “I’ve not seen anyone kill something so powerfully, so mercilessly like that since…” He fell quickly silent but it was clear to all whom he meant.
         “He also took out one of those large Dugnugol single-handedly, like it was made of paper. It’s like he became a different person completely.” Said Macabee
         “Did you see that blade he used? I’ve never seen anything like it before.” Eirian went on.
         “It’s a Scimitar; incredibly strong.” Began Ian, “I was examining it earlier, couldn’t tell what the blade was made of ; thin as I’ve ever seen a blade, eemed to shimmer, as if made from some crystal, though it felt more like ice in my hand. It also seemed to be glowing from its innards, as if it trapped inside it the very light around it. Very strange...” He trailed off.
         “It sounds like Verity Illumine. But that’s…”
         The people Karl could see looked at one another in confusion.
         “Come again?”
         Leon looked up at Liam, “A sacred metal of the ‘Under world‘. Discovered recently, but clearly ancient. It was one of the mysterious material’s found at the bottom of volcano’s. It is said to be impossible to melt or manipulate. That such a material could be made into a sword is highly improbable, but it certainly fits the description.”
         Once again, the people in the room seemed in awe of Leon’s Knowledge. Eirian being one of them, “You’ve seen it then? This Verify Alumni?”
         “Verity Illumine. No, I’ve never seen it, but I’ve heard a lot. For instance that the light you saw in the blade itself, Ian, was not trapped light. It is said that the Verity Illumine changes colour and texture depending on who is holding it. Like a mood ring, but accurate; changing to harmonise with the bearers feelings and condition. I imagine it would be incredibly handy in a battle. Though how Karl came into the possession of such a sword is beyond me. Such weapons haven‘t been seen but in the lords of the Splootarian. Very odd indeed.”
         Once again there was silence as the people in the room attempted to process the information given and, again, it was clear that everyone in the room were thinking along the same lines.
         “Leon, I’m starting to think you were right about him all along.” Said Bernie.
         “Didn’t you say earlier that he’s still weak? That he’s not at his full strength?” asked Robert, “Just think. If he can do this now, what will he be able to do once he’s strong again?”
         “He’ll be the most powerful fighter in the world. He’ll end wars in days.”
         “Leon, I think I owe you an apology...” said Bernie.
         Leon was not smiling. His head was dropped and he appeared to be deep in thought, his brow furrowed heavily.
         “Leon?”
         “Perhaps I was right about him. About everything about him...and perhaps... perhaps I was all too right about him...”
         There was a confused, nervous silence around the room. Karl was utterly bewildered. Could what they were saying be true? Could he truly be the most powerful warrior alive? And what was all that about his sword? He had always held it dear to him but he had no idea how special it would be to others. He wanted to know more, much more. He needed answers, so listened in with more intent.
         But when he returned to listening he found the conversation had taken grim change in tension, “Has he been alone at any point?” inquired Leon urgently.
         “Eh, no, I don’t think so…apart from just now of course.” Replied Eirien.
         “No, I don’t think he has been.” Confirmed Marshall.
         “Right, I’d like to keep it that way. I don’t mind so much when he’s in this building but try and make sure he’s not alone for too long at all times, without drawing too much attention to yourselves of course.”
         “Why Leon? And how do you suppose we keep him company? He’s not exactly the best converser in the world. He can’t even answer us ba…”
         “Leon, what is it that you fear?” Came Liam’s voice.
         “I fear the unknown, Liam. There is so much we don’t know about this boy. And until we do know more, we keep him protected…”
         There was silence for a moment.
         “You’re talking about Leigh aren’t you?” Dillon spoke the room’s fears, “You think he’ll come for him. Try and turn him over to his side…”
         “I don’t know what I mean and there is no use in being paranoid so. All the same I’d like him watched over as much as possible. Molly too. Her stake in this war is so much more than most of ours, as it exceeds physical boundaries.
         “Now, let us retire for the evening. Get some rest and we’ll meet at noon tomorrow. Someone will need to inform Karl and Molly. In the morning though, let them rest just now.”
         Karl heard the people in the room all move at once and head for the hatch. Quickly he ducked back the concave in the wall, making himself as small as possible, concealing all of him in darkness.
         One by one they left the room via the ladder, some having to be helped by others due to their injuries. After some time they stopped coming out of the room and no noise could be heard from upstairs. So Karl chanced to come out of his hiding place, and look around a bit.
         He could see the group of people walking across the white hall towards the dormitory’s. None seemed to be talking and most were either helping along, or being helped along their way.
         Karl was just about to follow after them, cautiously, when he heard the murmur of voices behind him. Quickly he darted into another concave and hid from view as much as he could. But no one came. Karl then realised that he had not seen Robert pass him, or Leon for that matter. Quietly he crept up to his original hiding place and listened in once more.
         There were now only three people in the room: Robert, Leon, and Liam. Karl wondered what business they had together that didn’t concern the rest of t,he group. He could not see anyone but he didn’t need to see them to be able to guess what was going on.
         Leon was talking, “...there are many things going on right now, too many for us to be concerned with such trivial matters. Whatever happened, happened, nothing will change that now. If you wish, after we have dealt with the revolution, you two can duke it out all you want but for now I ask that you bury the hatchet, for all our sakes...”
         “Right you are Leon.” Said Robert.
         “Of course Leon.” Said Liam.
         “Right, now that that’s out of the way...” he paused for a moment, in which Karl presumed he was eyeing the two suspiciously, “...I have a special task for you two.”
         “Task? What task?” asked Robert.
         “It concerns Karl...I know I’ve asked the others to keep an eye on him, check on how he’s doing and so on, but I’d like the two of you to keep an eye on him...”
         There was silence and the bemused Karl figured that the two had as much a clue as to what Leon meant as he did.
         “B-But why Leon?” asked Robert, confused.
         “Do you not trust him?” asked Liam.
         Leon sighed, “I do trust him but I am ever wary. There are so many things we don’t know about him and until we do...” he trailed off for a moment, “I don’t really know what I mean. I don’t want him to think we don’t trust him, I’m just worried about him is all and would feel a lot better if...”
         “Don’t worry about it Leon, of course we will do it.” Said Liam, kindly to him.
         Robert quickly chimed in, seemingly keen not to be outdone, “Yeah, you can count on me, eh, us. Not a problem.”
         There was silence again.
         “Right, let us retire then, I’m sure you are both tired.” Leon turned to leave, suddenly in Karl’s view, when a hand was placed on his shoulder. Leon looked at the hand, then at the owner, and smiled.
         Liam smiled also, “But tell me this first Leon. You said you fear the unknown...? ” he said, an air of mystery about him.
         Leon looked at him, his eyes slightly wide but focused, before nodding solemnly. “Yes, you’re right...I fear Karl...”
© Copyright 2016 M.R.Baxter (timmytomato at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2090896-LEON-Chapter-Seven