*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1874090-small-tale
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Emotional · #1874090
For the daily flash fiction challenge.
         She always rose too early. It was one of the things than annoyed her the most about herself. Though like her mother had always told her, "The early bird, and all that" - her mother was not very good with sayings.

         Blearily her eyes opened and she crawled out of her hole. First thought was breakfast. If she was honest with herself, most thoughts were about food - it being so hard to come by.

         As she stepped out into the light and peered about her surroundings she realised that she was completely alone. There was not a soul in sight.

         This was too good an opportunity to pass by.

         She ran as fast and as free as her still tired legs would allow. It was a wonderful feeling.

         She reached her destination quickly and peered around a corner. She really was alone. She leapt out and up an embankment: cautiously, just in case. When she reached the top she saw what she was looking fo, and her senses filled with longing joy.

         She approached slowly, just as she’d been taught, and as she did she thought of how proud her parents would be of her, had they still been alive.

         Tears welling in her weary eyes she leapt and grabbed her prize.

         But she felt something move beneath her foot and heard a soft squeak. The air around her moved. Then pain. Horrific pain and her eyes felt weary again.

         Blurrily her eyes slowly closed on her prize still clutched in her outstretched hands. She longed for a taste before it was too late, but with one last laboured breath she slipped away.

         And when the owners of the house returned to dispose of her remains. The cheese, now useless, was thrown in the trash.
© Copyright 2012 M.R.Baxter (timmytomato at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1874090-small-tale