*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2096429-Chapter-One
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #2096429
Special guests arrive. Police raid leaves many dead.
~Chapter One~
Raid on North Korean Home


The bitter cold was no match for the small fire in the fireplace. Over the single window of the main room, their thickest blanket hung to block some of the cold and to assure them that the shadows cast by the fire would be kept hidden from view. The room it’s self was spotless and unfurnished. The few pieces of furniture that they had enjoyed had long since been either sold or broken and used for fuel for the fire.

In the second, much smaller room, it was noticeably colder. Thread bare blankets were folded and formed into a large, tidy pallet where the Lee family slept. In a back corner was an old, worn bucket used for toileting during the night then dumped in the morning.

Jung Lee found it impossible to keep from fidgeting with the frayed hem of her sleeve. She had sent her eldest daughter, Nari, to the community pump to fill the water bucket. Tonight, none of her babies would go to sleep hungry. Her attention was diverted from fretting over her eldest, to her youngest.

“Mother, can I put the rice pot by the fire?” Bora asked. She too knew tonight her tummy would be filled with plenty of rice. Excitedly, she hopped from one foot to the other. “Can I get the pages?”

“Bora” Jung felt a chill snake up her back that had nothing to do with the cold of the room. The sharpness in her Mother’s tone made the child freeze and her face crumple. Jung’s heart twisted as she watched the sparkle vanish from the child’s eyes.

“You have broken your Father’s rule and you spoke about pages. Tell me, what if the birds or mice heard you?”

“Kim-Jong-Il would be greatly disappointed and make us move to the mountains,” Bora recited as it had been drummed into her head since she was two years old.

“And what else would happen?” She prompted the girl. Her tone was still firm but had lost its sharpness.

“The Dragons in the mountains would eat us.” The little girl whispered and cast a fearful glance towards the covered window.

“Yes, Bora,” Jung said, allowing praise to replace rebuke in her tone. “Never ask to get the pages from the magical hiding place again.” The little girl’s reply was interrupted as the door flew open and a blast of cold air and Nari entered.

Jung took the heavy bucket from the girl and her and her sister struggled with the door to get it closed. They had just joined their Mother at the fire when once again the door flew open.

“Father,” Bora cried and flung herself into her Father’s thin arms. Her brothers also had come in and Kwan, her oldest brother carried wood in his arms. Nari helped her brother stack the chunks of wood by the fireplace. Myeong paused in warming his icy hands reached into his shirt and pulled out a small pouch. Handing it to his Mother, he said nothing but quickly put his hands towards the warmth.

“It will be dark soon,” Pastor Kwan Lee said as he slowly removed his jacket. “Kwan, you take first watch Son.”

Guests would start trickling in shortly and there must always be a look out to insure no one was watching the house. Kwan Lee sat on the floor near the fire and allowed Bora to settle in his lap. The little home had no electricity, for much of the time so the only light came from the small fire. The other children sat close and watched as their Mother placed the rice pot filled with water over the fire.

“What are you thankful for today Myeong?” Kwan asked his son. Meetings often started this way before guests arrived. The young, rail thin boy appeared to give considerable thought to this question.

“I am thankful for the fire that warms us, for the house that shelters us, and our parents that guide us and for a God who loves us,” The boy whispered glancing at the window. Pastor Kwan smiled his acceptance of his son’s reply. Next, was Nari’s turn to share what she was thankful for.

“Today I am thankful that we all safely returned home. I’m thankful to have clothing and shoes to protect us from the bitter cold.”

“My turn,” Cried Bora when it was evident Nari had finished speaking. “My turn Father!” The little girl squirmed in her Father’s lap. He looked down at her and nodded, giving her permission to take her turn.

“I thankful not to live with dragons and that we get to eat rice tonight,” The girl said trying hard to keep her voice a soft whisper.

“My children are good and are thankful for many things,” Pastor Kwan said with pride. As he was about to continue, the door to the shack flew open.

“Sorry Father!” Cried Kwan,” The wind is terrible and it grabbed the door from me.” As he spoke a frail, thin man entered, his arms tightly wrapped around himself. Jung quickly ushered the man close to the warmth of the fire.

“Isuel, sit and warm yourself,” She instructed, motioning the children to make room for the guest. Nari fetched a blanket from the other room and her Mother draped it over the man’s shoulders. His body shook from cold.

“A treat,” Iseul said through chattering teeth and held out a small package. “Jung accepted it and Pastor Kwan expressed his thanks. His wife’s startled gasp diverted his attention from the guest to his wife.

“Tea leaves,” Jung said softly. “Tonight we may share hot tea with our rice.” Tea leaves were very expensive and a very rare treat. As she filled a second pot with water and set it on the fire the door once again opened, but this time not with as much force.

This time two guests were greeted by the small family. “Areum, please sit here close to me,” Jung offered the older woman.

“Haneul, how is trading today?” Pastor Kwan asked the man who settled himself near the fire.

“No good,” the man shook his head. “Nobody can buy and has nothing left to trade.” He accepted the blanket Nari offered him. His wife was cuddled in her own blanket that Bora had fetched for her. From the folds of her skirt, she pulled out a packet and handed it to Jung.

Jung thanked her. All were assembled and all were hungry. She worked quietly adding the rice to the bubbling water. She checked the other pot and added the tea leaves. Areum saw the tea leaves and her eyes widened in surprise.

“Our Brother Iseul shared a special treat with us,” Jung said. Pastor Kwan folded his hands together, signaling it was time to open the meeting with prayer. Everyone in the room silently covered their heads with the blankets making a tent like covering over them. Barely a whisper, Pastor Kwan prayed.

“Our Father, who art in Heaven,” The beloved prayer was mouthed by each member flawlessly. Then in one accord the words to Amazing Grace rose to God. Just as the song was coming to an end, Nari rose and slipped out the door to take her brother’s place as watcher. Her brother grinned at her and gratefully too her place by the fire. He was freezing!

“Tonight, I have a surprise for everyone,” Pastor Kwan announced. All eyes focused on him. “We have two more guests that should be here shortly. Tonight, a Sister from America will be brought here by a guide named Jae Pak.” Silence as each member digested that information.

“Very risky,” Iseul said simply.

“Are you sure this Jae can be trusted?” Haneul asked quietly. “Has he done this kind of thing before?” Pastor Kwan slowly nodded. He had the same concerns each time they had allowed outsiders to their meeting. “Jae has been here twice before but gone to other homes. Let us each pray in silence for our guest’s safety and quick arrival.”

So focused on their prayers and inner thoughts, they all startled when the door flew open and two people entered.

“Greetings Brothers, Sisters,” Jae Pak greeted. “This is Kadie from America.” All the members had risen to their feet when the door flew open. They now approached the new arrivals. They welcomed the American and her guide warmly. Jung guided everyone back to the fire. Her son Kwan was adding more wood sticks to the fire. The fragrance of rice and tea was filling the room. Jae Pak, however, resisted the urge to warm himself.

“Sorry my friends,” He said. “I must be on my way, there is snow coming and I must get back to the border. Kadie, another guide will return just after midnight to lead you back across safely.” And without another word, the short, thin man eased out the door and into the night.

The American smiled brightly. She wind kissed checks were round and plump and she was stout and healthy looking. In fact, she looked down right fat. This woman had not known hunger in her life, Jung surmised. As the American accepted greetings and hugs from the children, she removed her jacket, but did not allow Bora to take it. Instead, everyone watched in shock as she began to carefully rip open the inside panel. Everyone stilled as she withdrew a soft covered book. She silently handed it to the Pastor. His boney hands gripped it tightly as he read the words on the cover. Holy Bible it said in Korean. With great reverence, he flipped open the pages to reveal the entire Bible written in his language. Never, in his entire life had he ever seen a whole Bible before. Always he just had scraps of paper with a verse or two from the Holy Book which to study.

While everyone focused on the Pastor’s reaction, Kadie had ripped another section of her jacket and withdrew another full copy of the Holy Bible written in Korean. She handed it to Jung. Not one but two whole books! The members whispered excitedly and leaned close to see the books. From the depths of her jacket, Kadie this time withdrew a cellophane wrapped package. She opened it, smiled at the children and handed them each a small wrapped red and white disk. She indicated with hand motions for them to open it and put the disk in their mouths. Squeals of delight erupted and the adults quickly hushed them as Kadie handed them each a disk as well. None had ever had peppermint before. Candy was a luxury no one could afford.

Before the children could beg more of the candy, Jung filled small bowls of rice and handed them to each member. Rice made during meetings always tasted best. Jung knew it was because it was shared with loved ones. When the bowls had been emptied and wiped clean, she poured hot tea into the bowls and everyone gratefully drank the brew.

Just as Pastor Kwan was opening the new Holy Bible, the door flew open and the room was swarmed with uniformed officers screaming and pointing automatic rifles at those seated by the fire. No one had time to think as members where drug to their feet. Children clutched for their parents and cried only to be slapped and shoved violently out into the bitter cold night. The members were quickly separated.

Pastor Kwan saw his wife and kids on their knees. Gun shots rang out and their bodies crumpled to the ground as their blood sprayed the side of the house. Screams rose in his throat only to be silenced has the butt of a riffle came crashing down on the side of his head and he saw sent falling to the frozen ground. A guard had shoved Kadie face down on the ground and had yanked her head up by her hair forcing her to watch the massacre.

Iseul, in his terror had clutched the Holy Bible tight to his chest and seemed unable to comply with the officer’s command to hand it over. His defiance to the officer’s command was met with the officer’s baton being used like a baseball bat against his skull. The first hit fell the man to his knees, the second sent him home to the Father. Not once did he loose his grip on the precious book.

“You are the reason they die!” He snarled as he bent down into Kadie’s face. “You killed them and you will die too!”

“Do you know there is a God who loves you?” Kadie asked. The guard reared back as if she had struck him. In anger, he balled his fists raining them down on her back. He rolled her over, kicked her in her side and crashed his fist into her face. Pain exploded and she barely had time to realize her nose was more than likely broken before the second blow came sending her into blackness.
© Copyright 2016 Izycody (izycody at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2096429-Chapter-One