*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/209827-FreeBird
Rated: 13+ · Prose · Personal · #209827
Shedding the fetters of a caged life
I once was accused of being a freebird. Actually I was startled by the incongruity. I've been crippled since my childhood, unable to spread mangled wings. I've been a caged bird for most of my adult years. Imprisoned by the intricacies of denial's lies. One day the door to my cage was left open. Fear from unknown sources immobilized my attempted flight. But as time lengthened and I explored cautiously the open door without pain from outside, I did venture out and perch in the gaping hole.

A frightening amazing world did my sight behold. Then, as if mesmerized, without thought, I jumped from the confines of my life.

The pain was excruciating. I've never before opened my wings to take flight. The limbs were cramped and nearly permanently bent. But I spread them and just in time slowed my descent.

I've glided out into a new and frightening freedom. I've flown outside my cage to claim control of my life. My next step is to learn how to fly.
© Copyright 2001 DyrHearte writes (dyrhearte at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/209827-FreeBird