*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2099724-Jumping-to-Conclusions
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2099724
A happy wife lets doubt in. Daily Flash Fiction Challenge 10/16/2016
Prompt: window, rumor, left
Written for: "Daily Flash Fiction Challenge"   by Arakun the Twisted Raccoon

Looking out my window it was easy to see that I’d made the right choice and didn’t buy into the gossip from the rumor mill. I could’ve left so long ago, ended up alone, but instead I followed my heart. That one choice had brought me so much happiness over the years. Dan really was a wonderful husband, always surprising me with flowers, songs, dinners and trinkets to add to my bracelet.

I watched him making one pass after another as he cut the grass, the sun almost gone while the night sky threatened to take over. I wondered if he would finish the chore tonight or have to wait until morning. Turning the burner down on the stove I headed to the attached garage to check on him. Standing in the open door I watched him with a smile, still in love with him ten years after marriage. Memories flooded my mind, remembering how many times I’d wait for him on the patio with a glass of cold lemonade after his weekly chore on a hot summers day. I couldn’t remember the last time I’d done that, and turned to go inside to make a pitcher.

Before I made it through the door, Dan’s cellphone rang. I noticed it on the shelf beside the door and reached for it.

“Hello.”

“Where are you, sweetie? I've missed you.”

I gasped and dropped to my knees, those old rumors of his cheating racing through my mind.

“Sara?” Dan said from the doorway.

I threw the phone at him. “Your sweetie misses you,” I spat bitterly, my heart breaking.

Dan looked at the phone and back, his expression filled with guilt. “Did I forget to tell you my sister’s back from the Australian Outback?”

WC: 292
© Copyright 2016 Purple Celebrates (purpleprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2099724-Jumping-to-Conclusions